Via:  community  •  8 years ago  •  7 comments

Europe's primeval forest may be at risk

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   seeder  Randy    8 years ago

Trees are recyclable. You can always grow more trees and that's how much lumber in the US is provided. However you can't replace virgin forests that have been there for perhaps hundreds or even thousands of years and have never been subject to serious logging. Yes some say there is a threat of a bark beetle, but I am always suspicious that something shows up that has never been a problem before at the same time logging companies want to start cutting down trees. Ultimately this is an EU problem and decision, but I hope they can find a way to preserve this forest as they seem to be getting fewer and fewer all of the time.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   seeder  Randy    8 years ago

Forest rangers disagree - they say that beetles have attacked about a fifth of the healthy spruce trees in the forest, and that they could infect more.

Arek is suspicious of such claims, saying that spruce timber from Białowieża - and oak too - are threatened with felling because there's a strong commercial demand for them.

Because the forest is dark and closely packed, trees grow high as they reach up towards the light. Some spruce and oak here rise to 150 feet (45m). Height generates dense, strong - and profitable - wood.

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
link   Larry Hampton    8 years ago

Great article Randy!

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   seeder  Randy  replied to  Larry Hampton   8 years ago

Thanks. I have a thing for old growth woods and forests.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient    8 years ago

It Europe does not take care of its forests, the advantage would be to countries like Canada and Russia, both of which have abundant forests and could increase their exports of lumber.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   seeder  Randy  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   8 years ago

Which is why if Europe wants to log wood, they need to do what the U.S. does (for the most part) start growing trees especially for the purpose of using it for lumber.