╌>

Trump Allies Plot Candidate Intervention After Disastrous 48 Hours

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  krishna  •  8 years ago  •  15 comments

Trump Allies Plot Candidate Intervention After Disastrous 48 Hours

Key Republicans close to Donald Trump's orbit are plotting an intervention with the candidate after a  disastrous 48 hours  led some influential voices in the party to question whether Trump can stay at the top of the Republican ticket without catastrophic consequences for his campaign and the GOP at large.

Republican National Committee head Reince Priebus, former Republican New York City mayor Rudy Giuliani and former House Speaker Newt Gingrich are among the Trump endorsers hoping to talk the real estate mogul into a dramatic reset of his campaign in the coming days, sources tell NBC News.

(LINK)

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Krishna    8 years ago

The idea of an intervention is in its early stages, and there's no guarantee that Trump's team would entertain a conversation requiring such comprehensive changes for a candidate who has resisted calls to moderate his tone or reel in his most outlandish political positions.

Stunned Republicans began seriously considering the idea of an exit ramp after an extraordinary few days during which Trump continually lashed out against a Gold Star family critical of his position on Muslim immigration, declared that he'd "always wanted" a Purple Heart but that it's "easier" to receive one as a gift, and declined to endorse top Republican candidates including House Speaker Paul Ryan.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    8 years ago

I think the purple hearts should go to his ex-wives...  Just a thought.

I don't think an intervention would do much good, at this point.  It's a done deal, and he has shown his true colors.

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Krishna  replied to  Dowser   8 years ago

I think you're right. He is not a sane person!

(Of course many Republican leaders are frantic-- because they know if trump continues to remain in the race 'till the end, it will be a disaster for their party). But its far too late for them to change things...

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  Krishna   8 years ago

The time to change things was way back in the primary...  I think, anyway.  Too late for that, now!

Krishna
Professor Expert

The time to change things was way back in the primary...  I think, anyway.  Too late for that, now!

The Republicans are definitely "up the creek without the paddle"....

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

Where were all the decent republicans during the primary?  None to be seen...  I know they're out there-- I know lots of reasonable, decent people, who happen to be republicans.  I can't see them voting for this monster!

Trump is a monster and a nightmare, (in my opinion).  If he wins, we get whatever it is that we deserve...

Krishna
Professor Expert

Where were all the decent republicans during the primary?  None to be seen..

It is a question of being decent-- its obvious most are not. 

And its also a question of whether or not they want to shoot themselves in the foot-- and destroy the Republican party for the next few years.

But as Trump's mental illness slowly keeps getting worse and worse--  a few are finally starting to wake up:

“In his latest foray of insults, Mr. Trump has attacked the parents of a slain U.S. soldier. Where do we draw the line?” Hanna asked. 

Hanna may not be the last high-ranking Republican official to cross party lines come November.

Sally Bradshaw, who was a long-time adviser to former Florida Gov.  Jeb Bush  (R), announced last week that she was  leaving the GOP  ― and may even vote for Clinton if the race in Florida is close. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna   8 years ago

One of the Senate’s most moderate Republicans, Sen. Susan Collins (R-Maine), also  said it was possible  she may vote for Clinton.

Richard Armitage, the deputy secretary of state under former president  George W. Bush , announced  he would vote for Clinton  last month. 

(READ IT ALL)

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

It's a forlorn hope that decent people stand up to him...

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
link   Nowhere Man    8 years ago

What?

You and John doing double teams on news stories now?

Didn't know he was your BFF....

Krishna
Professor Expert

Now they've got Prebus baby-sitting him-- Trump has no self-control.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     8 years ago

Fix campaign or step aside, Wall Street Journal tells Trump

Krishna
Professor Expert

Lying Donald is a danger to the Republican Party-- "everyone knows" he has no self-control!