╌>

Italian chef likens veganism to a sect and claims he would ‘kill them all’

Category:  Scattershooting,Ramblings & Life

Via:  community  •  8 years ago  •  8 comments

Italian chef likens veganism to a sect and claims he would ‘kill them all’

gianfranco-vissani.jpg

A popular Italian chef has come under fire after he likened vegans to members of a sect and claimed he would “kill them all” during a TV cooking show.

Gianfranco Vissani, the chef and restaurateur, made the comments during a discussion on cooking programme In Onda about molecular gastronomy, The Local reports.

Mr Vissani responded to his co-presenter’s description of molecular gastronomy as a “lifestyle,” with the words: “What do you mean, like vegans?”

He then went on to say: “Vegans are like [members of] a sect, they’re like Jehovah’s Witnesses.”

Another chef on the programme, Davide Oldani, told him “don’t say such rubbish”. Mr Vissani responded by claiming: “But it’s true,” adding: “And I mean vegans, not vegetarians. What would I do with the vegans? I would kill them all.”

~LINK~

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
link   seeder  Larry Hampton    8 years ago

Many people reacted angrily on social media, with one person tweeting that Mr Vissani was “proof that meat is bad for you”.

Veganism has proven a controversial topic in Italy and legislation has been proposed to imprison parents who impose a vegan diet on their children.

Elvira Savino of the Forza Italia party has called for parents who give their children what he believes to be an “inadequate diet” should face up to four years in jail, while the new Mayor of Turin has said he encourages vegan and vegetarian diets in the city for the protection of the environment, animals and people’s health. 

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    8 years ago

My son is a vegetarian, but he lives with two meat-eaters, so he has to make do with chicken broth, etc., in things.  He never liked meat, from the time he was a baby.  When he was about 2, we gave him some Gerber's ravioli, and he carefully chewed all the pasta off and spit out the centers.  What do you do with a kid like that?

It's very hard to take him to a restaurant, because all he wants to eat are noodles...  IF he doesn't like chicken broth, etc., in things, HE can cook it.  I can't cook without broth or onions.  It is physically impossible for me to do it.  As I say, HE can cook it.  winking

Now, as far as putting parents in jail for not feeding their children meat, I don't know.  That seems to go a bit far on the opposite end of the scale.  There are lots of other ways to get protein, but it requires dairy products.  Thankfully, my kid drinks milk.  There comes a point in time when you've just got to let parents be...  As long as the children are healthy, I think they're overstepping their bounds.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell    8 years ago

Sounds a bit extreme. I know a couple young vegans, no older ones. Mature people have a more flexible position on the matter. 

My advice is eat what you like. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     8 years ago

''vegetarians'' Ojibwe for ''can't hunt''

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
link   seeder  Larry Hampton  replied to  Kavika   8 years ago

Lol, is that like what's his name, "Can't Catch Fish"?

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  Larry Hampton   8 years ago

Yes it is Larry. They are cousins...laughing dude

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
link   seeder  Larry Hampton  replied to  Kavika   8 years ago

Shoulda known, a sorta scrawny family,,,

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
link   Dean Moriarty    8 years ago

Julia Child knew how to take care of those pesky vegans.