╌>

Colin Kaepernick sits during national anthem; 49ers defend move

Category:  Sports

Via:  pj  •  8 years ago  •  35 comments

Colin Kaepernick sits during national anthem; 49ers defend move

Colin Kaepernick sits during national anthem; 49ers defend move   Arthur Weinstein 3 hrs ago

© ( Getty Images )  Colin Kaepernick Colin Kaepernick, who has been mired in a quarterback controversy with Blaine Gabbert to see who will lead the 49ers this season, may have sparked a real controversy Friday night.

Kaepernick did not stand for the national anthem before the 49ers preseason game at Levi's Stadium, although the move went unnoticed by most at the time.  ProFootballTalk.com  reported the story more than an hour after the game, and no reporters asked Kaepernick about it following the 49ers 21-10 loss to the Packers.

Kaepernick explained his stance during an interview with NFL.com: "I am not going to  stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses Black people and people of color," he said after the game. "To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder."

But Kaepernick's action prompted the 49ers to issue a statement acknowledging that he sat during the anthem, and defending his right to do so.

“The national anthem is and always will be a special part of the pre-game ceremony," reads the statement. "It is an opportunity to honor our country and reflect on the great liberties we are afforded as its citizens. In respecting such American principles as freedom of religion and freedom of expression, we recognize the right of an individual to choose to participate, or not, in our celebration of the national anthem.”

That stance will not sit well with many fans, however, and Kaepernick is sure to hear the boos in opposing stadiums as the media shines the spotlight on his decision. Was Kaepernick, who has been outspoken on his Twitter account about racial issues in the U.S., making a political statement? Expect to hear much more on this story in the coming days.

By the way, neither Kaepernick nor Gabbert did anything to win the starter's role Friday night, each finishing with 14 yards passing.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/colin-kaepernick-sits-during-national-anthem-49ers-defend-move/ar-BBw792S?li=BBnbfcL http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/colin-kaepernick-sits-during-national-anthem-49ers-defend-move/ar-BBw792S?li=BBnbfcL

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   seeder  PJ    8 years ago

Kaepernick explained his stance during an interview with NFL.com: "I am not going to  stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses Black people and people of color," he said after the game.

This seems like a brilliant strategy..........bring attention to yourself as someone who disrespects America rather than taking the words from the anthem as inspiration to fight for the rights he feels black people are not given.   

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell  replied to  PJ   8 years ago

This would look better for Kaepernick if he had always refused to stand for the anthem rather than just now that his star as an NFL star has fallen. 

No one has to stand for the anthem , anymore than you have to remove your hat or put your hand over your heart, it is just group tradition. 

People are free to do such things as long as they accept the consequences from the fans. 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
link   XXJefferson51  replied to  PJ   8 years ago

PJ, we are in general agreement.  He disrespected all of America and everything we stand for and strive to be with his actions. The only time it's ok to not stand for the anthem or the pledge is if one has a religious belief that would preclude such overt displays.  

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
link   Sean Treacy    8 years ago

Glad he can protest a largely  imaginary phenomenon, but he has no problem ignoring real problems that involve actual tragedies like moms  getting shot while walking their kids by other people of color. 

sixpick
Professor Quiet
link   sixpick  replied to  Sean Treacy   8 years ago

He's a victim of the Liberal Media. 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
link   XXJefferson51  replied to  Sean Treacy   8 years ago

Well said.  I lost all respect for him and I'm a 49ers fan.  I will be openly rooting for anyone else to win the starting QB job this season.  I hope Ponder gets a real good shot at it now.  

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
link   Sean Treacy  replied to  XXJefferson51   8 years ago

He won't be around long. He's been so bad the last few years it's hard to imagine any team putting up with this sort of distraction from such a mediocre player.

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
link   Larry Hampton  replied to  Sean Treacy   8 years ago

Colin Kaepernick could be cut by San Francisco 49ers

SANTA CLARA, Calif., Aug. 29 (UPI) -- San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick had the right to take a stand this preseason, when he decided to sit for the national anthem in protest.

The San Francisco 49ers have a right to take a stand against Kaepernick for his poor quarterback play.

According to FOX Sports' Jay Glazer, the 49ers "might not" include Kaepernick on its roster this season.

"Regardless of politics or not, he has a very, very big uphill battle to make this team," Glazer reported, via Pro Football Talk . "I'd be shocked if he's on the 49ers by the time this season ends. It has nothing to do with political views whatsoever. He lost a ton of weight this offseason, had three surgeries, couldn't work out, lost that double threat, that size-speed ratio. No political views, he just hasn't been effective. He's regressing as a player. I'd be shocked if he's on this roster by the end of this year. He may not be on it in the next two weeks."

Kaepernick has $11.9 million in guaranteed cash this season. He was in a battle with Blaine Gabbert for the starting gig throughout the preseason. Christian Ponder and Jeff Driskel are also on the roster.

On Friday, 49ers coach Chip Kelly said there has "never been a conversation about cutting Colin Kaepernick," according to Bay Area News Group's Cam Inman.

Kaepernick completed 2-of-6 passes for 14 yards in his first preseason game of 2016 against the Green Bay Packers . The 49ers cut it roster to 75 players Tuesday.

Although he has not played well, 49ers personnel also has to deal with a rift in its locker room, following his political stand. Kelly said the competition is "ongoing," according to USA TODAY.

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov    8 years ago

If I were the 49ers, I would have repudiated him for his empty but disrespectful gesture. He can certainly expect a backlash from former fans.

sixpick
Professor Quiet
link   sixpick    8 years ago

Sometimes it's not what you do, but why you do it that makes the difference.

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov    8 years ago

I hope he gets Dixie Chick-ed.

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
link   Nowhere Man    8 years ago
(deleted)

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   seeder  PJ  replied to  Nowhere Man   8 years ago

NWM- Tell me how you really feel.......

Many men and women died for our liberties. Even the one that allows this dude to sit on his ass.  I stand because it's how I pay my respect for those who fought for this country.  Our flag is a symbol of that sacrifice (imo).   

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
link   Nowhere Man  replied to  PJ   8 years ago

Because you feel that way, as do I, does that mean everyone should?

You say that you do it to respect those that died for his right not to stand, yet you criticize the act the service man thought highly enough of to die for.

Much like criticizing with faint praise, it is disrespect with faint respect.

the principles are the same.

You respect the man that gave his life, but you do not respect what he gave it for.

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   seeder  PJ  replied to  Nowhere Man   8 years ago

You're grumpy tonight.  I think you're trying to pick a fight with me.  winking

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
link   Nowhere Man  replied to  PJ   8 years ago

No, actually in a very sedate mood.

And I don't pick fights. tough guy

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov  replied to  Nowhere Man   8 years ago

He specifically said he has no respect for the US. That's enough for me to reciprocate. He can enjoy the whirlwind. 

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
link   Nowhere Man  replied to  Cerenkov   8 years ago

I specifically and vehemently disagree with the attitude he represented.

And yes he will reap the whirlwind of what he has sown.

But I will stand up and man a post against any enemy, and gladly give my life for his right to hold that view.

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov  replied to  Nowhere Man   8 years ago

I never meant to suggest he had no right to do what he did. He has no right to avoid the consequences of his ignorance and disrespect. I look forward to his rewards.

sixpick
Professor Quiet
link   sixpick    8 years ago

The guy has fallen victim to the Liberal Media.  His African father ran off as soon as his Caucasian mother told him she was pregnant.  She was 19 and didn't think she could raise him.  He was fortunate to have been raised in a home which already had children and given the opportunity to become the athlete he has become making approximately $13 million dollars this year.

I looked and couldn't find anything he had done for people of color anywhere.  I feel sure his real mother had circumstances that made it difficult to raise him.  I can't blame her, but I can blame his real father for running off when he found out she was pregnant.

Victim of the Liberal Media and doesn't realize this country has come a long way and the LM is a bunch of BS.

Sometimes it's not what you do, but why you do it that makes the difference.

The second video pretty much says all of this.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
link   1stwarrior    8 years ago

14183738_1114844378553272_3188213958745324380_n.jpg?oh=0149ed981dc3cd0ba59d6993b15183df&oe=58854E97