╌>

Mariners suspend catcher for rest of season

Category:  Sports

Via:  pj  •  8 years ago  •  17 comments

USA TODAY SPORTS

© Ken Blaze, USA TODAY Sports  M's catcher should be released for controversial tweets

The Seattle Mariners suspended Steve Clevenger without pay for the remainder of the season, moving swiftly Friday to discipline their backup catcher after his set of tweets imploring that protestors in Charlotte should be “locked behind bars like animals.”

Clevenger, 30, who has played in just 22 games this season, issued an apology Thursday night for his tweets referring to protests in North Carolina following the fatal police shooting of an African American. He will not appeal his suspension, according to a person with direct knowledge of the issue. The person spoke to USA TODAY Sports on condition of anonymity because the matter is ongoing.

Clevenger’s tweets read:

“Black people beating whites when a thug got shot holding a gun by a black officer haha (expletive) cracks me up! Keep kneeling for the anthem!

“BLM (Black Lives Matter) is pathetic again! Obama you are pathetic once again! Everyone should be locked behind bars like animals!”

The Mariners issued a statement Thursday condemning the tweets, with general manager Jerry Dipoto noting the club is “examining all internal options available to us.”

Clevenger was making a non-guaranteed $517,000 this season; he would be eligible for salary arbitration in 2017. His suspension could be appealed by the Major League Baseball Players’ Association. For now, the suspension will cost him around $32,000. A lifetime .227 hitter in 170 games over six seasons, Clevenger batted .221 with one home run this season. He's best known for being included in trades that sent eventual ace Jake Arrieta from the Baltimore Orioles to the Chicago Cubs, and slugger Mark Trumbo from the Mariners the Orioles this past off-season.

Demonstrators in Charlotte have been  protesting the death of Keith Lamont Scott , a black man who was shot and killed by police. Two officers and nine civilians were injured and 44 people arrested on Wednesday in several hours of violence that broke out following peaceful protests, prompting Gov. Pat McCrory to declare a state of emergency.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/mariners-suspend-catcher-for-rest-of-season/ar-BBwyd71?li=BBnbfcL

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   seeder  PJ    8 years ago

So, I ran across this story this evening and would like to hear from the group on why this athlete isn't allowed to voice his opinion and exercise his 1st amendment right while other athletes are praised for their tweets and actions?   

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov  replied to  PJ   8 years ago

I see nothing in his comments that would warrant suspension. He is being oppressed.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     8 years ago

It's the teams decision. Each team will act differently.

Of course his tweets were pretty damning. Those that don't stand for the anthem, or kneel in stead are protesting something that they believe is a problem. If those are the athletes you are talking about. 

This guy didn't do that as his tweets indicate.

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   seeder  PJ  replied to  Kavika   8 years ago

Yes, I know you're right that it's up to the team but I'm confused why one person is afforded their 1st amendment right but another person isn't.  So it sounds like if the message isn't politically correct then it's more likely not to be given the same consideration.  The organization can blackmail it's athletes to tow a certain line or keep their mouths shut otherwise they will punish them via suspension and they will take away their livelihood.  

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  PJ   8 years ago

He is represented by the MLB players association (union) he choose not to fight the decision.

If he felt that he was being singled out for his views, he had avenues to follow. He didn't..Simple as that.

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   seeder  PJ  replied to  Kavika   8 years ago

True Kavika but it's possible he didn't push back on the suspension because he's injured.  Again, I don't like much of what he tweeted but I see this manipulation happening behind the scenes.  Players are being told through the actions of these organizations what is acceptable and what isn't.   

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  PJ   8 years ago

Why in the world would his injury stop him for fighting the decision?

Do you think that it's any different in the corporate world...If you want to blast out on social media think before you do. He didn't and the result is he is out of a job.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell    8 years ago

He is injured and wasn't going to play anyway. If Seattle was in the pennant race and this guy was playing, you can be sure he would not be suspended. 

Professional sports teams are worried about appearances, and have been for some time. 

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   seeder  PJ  replied to  JohnRussell   8 years ago

Good points John.  I'm sure you're right that he may have skirted the suspension if the team was in the running and he wasn't hurt but what I'm trying to get to the bottom of is why we as Americans allow some to exercise their 1st amendment rights and not everyone.  Why are only some worthy of our support?  Our complacency is allowing a precedence to be set.  

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell  replied to  PJ   8 years ago

Maybe because he called the dead guy a thug. I don't know that there is evidence of that. 

Kaepernick is protesting against a system, not an individual person. 

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   seeder  PJ  replied to  JohnRussell   8 years ago

Okay John but Colin also wears pig socks disparaging police officers......Did the NFL suspend him or fine him or discipline him in any way.  No, they did nothing but come out with a statement saying they support his 1st amendment right.  Kinda sounds like a double standard to me.  

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov  replied to  JohnRussell   8 years ago

"Maybe because he called the dead guy a thug. I don't know that there is evidence of that. "

His rap sheet is conclusive proof that he is, was, a thug.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
link   Sean Treacy    8 years ago

It's a double standard. Athletes are encouraged to speak out politically when their views align with progressives, but anything that goes against the progressive agenda is punished severely. Ask curt schilling.

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   seeder  PJ  replied to  Sean Treacy   8 years ago

I agree that there is a double standard.  That's not to say we have to agree with the statement of the person.  

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  Sean Treacy   8 years ago

Curt Shilling was fired over a history of comments and was demoted at one time because of them. You want to push the envelope, then be prepared to pay the piper.

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   seeder  PJ    8 years ago

To be honest, I don't know.  Sometimes it's easier to fold.  He probably thinks it's in his best interest to let it go and by next season when he's recovered this will be a blip on the screen.  If he fights it then he's keeping it in the spotlight.  Career wise it's a smart move. 

You're right it does happen in corporations and private industry.