╌>

Fake News Sites

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  community  •  8 years ago  •  32 comments

Fake News Sites

A  lot of us have been talking about Fake News Sites-- unreliable sites that publish made up stories, clickbait sites, or sites that are satirical, but aren't funny.  

For your viewing pleasure, I've compiled several lists, so that we can all be aware of those sites whose posts may not be completely truthful, or terrifically biased.

These are not lists that will please anyone.  I went to both the more conservative and the more liberal sites that compiled lists.  Feeling like every site, both conservative/liberal would be somewhat biased, I went to both.  However, I felt it would be interesting to all of us!  The sources of the information are linked below-- so look for yourself, if you don't believe me.

LINK

“CATEGORY 1: Below is a list of fake, false, or regularly misleading websites that are shared on Facebook and social media. Some of these websites may rely on “outrage” by using distorted headlines and decontextualized or dubious information in order to generate likes, shares, and profits. These websites are categorized with the number 1 next to them.

“CATEGORY 2: Some websites on this list may circulate misleading and/or potentially unreliable information, and they are marked with a 2.

“CATEGORY 3: Other websites on this list sometimes use clickbait-y headlines and social media descriptions, and they are marked with a 3.

“CATEGORY 4: Other sources on this list are purposefully fake with the intent of satire/comedy, which can offer important critical commentary on politics and society, but have the potential to be shared as actual/literal news. I’m including them here, for now, because 1.) they have the potential to perpetuate misinformation based on different audience (mis)interpretations and 2.) to make sure anyone who reads a story by The Onion, for example, understands its purpose. If you think this is unnecessary, please see Literally Unbelievable .”

1. 100PercentFedUp.com  (2,3)
  2. EnduringVision.com  (1)
  3. PakAlertPress.com
  4. 21stCenturyWire.com  (2, 3)
  5. FPRNradio.com
  6. PoliticalBlindSpot.com
  7. 70news.wordpress.com  (1)
  8. The Free Thought Project  (3)
  9. PoliticalEars.com
  10. Abcnews.com.co  (1)
  11. GeoEngineeringWatch.org
  12. Politicalo (1)
  13. ActivistPost.com  (2, 3)
  14. PoliticusUSA
  15. Addicting Info  (3)
  16. GovtSlaves.info
  17. PrisonPlanet.com
  18. AmericanNews.com  (1)
  19. GulagBound.com
  20. PrisonPlanet.tv  
  21. AnonNews.co  (3)
  22. HangTheBankers.com
  23. Private-eye.co.uk  (includes 4)
  24. Associated Media Coverage

1. HumansAreFree.com
  2. ProjectVeritas
  3. BeforeItsNews.com
  4. Huzlers  (4)
  5. Being Liberal
  6. IfYouOnlyNews
  7. React 365
  8. BigAmericanNews.com
  9. Indecision Forever (1)
  10. RealFarmacy.com
  11. BigPZone.com
  12. RealNewsRightNow.com  (1, 4)
  13. Bipartisan Report  (3)
  14. InfoWars (1, 2)
  15. RedFlagNews.com
  16. BizPac Review
  17. Infowars.com
  18. Red State (3)
  19. Blue Nation Review  (2,3)
  20. IntelliHub.com
  21. Reductress (4)
  22. Breitbart  (2, 3)
  1. Inquisitr.com
  2. RileNews.com  (1, 4)
  3. Call the Cops (4)
  4. JonesReport.com
  5. Satira Tribune
  6. Cap News   (4)
  7. LewRockwell.com
  8. Sprotspickle.com  (4)
  9. ChristWire.org  (4)
  10. Liberal America
  11. The Blaze
  12. Chronicle.su
  13. LibertyTalk.fm
  14. The Free Thought Project (3)
  15. CivicTribune.com  (1)
  16. LibertyUnyielding
  17. Borowitz Report (4)
  18. ClickHole.com  (4)
  19. LibertyVideos.org
  20. The Onion (4)
  21. CoastToCoastAM.com  (2)
  1. Inquisitr.com
  2. RileNews.com  (1, 4)
  3. Call the Cops (4)
  4. JonesReport.com
  5. Satira Tribune
  6. Cap News   (4)
  7. LewRockwell.com
  8. Sprotspickle.com  (4)
  9. ChristWire.org  (4)
  10. Liberal America
  11. The Blaze
  12. Chronicle.su
  13. LibertyTalk.fm
  14. The Free Thought Project (3)
  15. CivicTribune.com  (1)
  16. LibertyUnyielding
  17. Borowitz Report (4)
  18. ClickHole.com  (4)
  19. LibertyVideos.org
  20. The Onion (4)
  21. CoastToCoastAM.com  (2)
  1. NaturalNews.com
  2. Twitchy.com  (3)
  3. DailyBuzzLive.com
  4. NC Scooper
  5. UnconfirmedSources.com
  6. DailyCurrant.com
  7. NCT (New Century Times)
  8. News Examiner
  9. USA Supreme
  10. Daily Wire
  11. News-Hound.com  (1)
  12. US.Blasting.News
  13. DCClothesLine.com
  14. NewsBiscuit.com  (1)
  15. US Uncut (3)
  16. DCGazette.com  (1)
  17. Newslo (1, 4)
  18. VeteransToday.com
  19. DerfMagazine.com
  20. NewsMutiny.com  (1, 4)
  21. Disclose.tv
  22. Newswatch 28
  1. WakingUpWisconsin.com
  2. DrudgeReport.com.co  (1)
  3. Newswatch 33
  4. Winning Democrats
  5. DuffleBlog.com  (4)
  6. NewsWire-24.com
  7. WitScience.org
  8. DuhProgressive.com
  9. NoDisInfo.com
  10. World Net Daily
  11. Embols.com
  12. Now8News
  13. World News Daily Report  (4)
  14. Empire Herald
  15. NowTheEndBegins.com
  16. WorldTruth.tv
  17. Empire News (1)
  18. Occupy Democrats  (3)
  19. ZeroHedge
  20. EmpireNews.com
  21. Endingthefed.com

LINK

FAKE/HOAX NEWS WEBSITES

Fake/Hoax News sites are satire sites that are not funny.  They are an attempt to play on gullible people who do not check sources and will just pass the news on as if it were really true. Below is the list of know Fake/Hoax News Websites:

• AmericanNews.com
  • BigAmericanNews.com
  • Cap News (twitter.com/capnews)
  • ChristWire.org
  • CivicTribune.com
  • ClickHole.com
  • CreamBMP.com
  • DCGazette.com
  • DailyCurrant.com
  • DCClothesLine.com
  • DerfMagazine.com
  • DrudgeReport.com.co
  • DuhProgressive.com
  • EmpireNews.com
  • EnduringVision.com
  • Indecision Forever (www.cc.com/indecision)
  • MSNBC.co
  • MSNBC.website
  • MediaMass.net
  • NationalReport.net
  • NewsBiscuit.com
  • News-Hound.com
  • NewsMutiny.com
  • PoliticalEars.com
  • Private-eye.co.uk
  • RealNewsRightNow.com
  • RileNews.com
  • Sprotspickle.com
  • TheNewsNerd.com
  • TheUsPatriot.com
  • WitScience.org

SATIRE WEBSITES

Satire websites are sites that make fun of the news.  The stories are typically over the top and meant to be funny.  The most famous satire site is The Onion.  Below is the list of satire websites:

• TheOnion.com
  • AmplifyingGlass.com
  • Duffleblog.com
  • EmpireSports.co
  • GomerBlog.com
  • Huzlers.com
  • iTagLive.com/
  • Newslo.com
  • NahaDaily.com
  • RockCityTimes.com
  • TheLapine.ca
  • TheSpoof.com
  • WeeklyWorldNews.com
  • WorldNewsDailyReport.com

CLICKBAIT WEBSITES

Clickbait websites are sites that take bits of true stories but insinuate and make up other details to sew fear. Most of these are conspiratorial in nature are very unreliable. Below are a list of these websites:

One More LINK :

Unstrustworthy Fake News Sources

I know these lists are going to piss everyone off, but it is what it is...  I'm sure we could all add and would like to subtract some of the sites listed...

Thanks for coming by!

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   seeder  Dowser    8 years ago

Sorry this is so long, and there are repeats, but entering all these and alphabetizing them, and removing the repeats was quite a job!  I don't have time, frankly, or energy.  There are sites I, too would like to add/subtract.  So, anyway, to each his own.

My advice, to myself, too, is to check out several news sources to get to the truth...

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
link   Dean Moriarty    8 years ago

Newsvine and Newstalkers. 

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   seeder  Dowser  replied to  Dean Moriarty   8 years ago

LOL, Dean!!!

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
link   Sean Treacy    8 years ago

Ironic that a story on fake news would use a fake expert as its source. This was written by a left wing activist whose been teaching for 15 months and claims an expertise in the media's portrayal of fat people.  She's made no secret of her hatred for Donald Trump on social media.

She's a troll who removed the list after she started receiving questions on what possible criteria she used to call sites "fake."

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   seeder  Dowser  replied to  Sean Treacy   8 years ago

Which one, Sean?  I used 3 different news sources, (that are linked), and about 5 additional sites to try to find the truth.

I tried to visit conservative sites as well, to add their lists.  I honestly tried to be unbiased in my reporting.

OH, and BTW, I did NOT use the site by the professor.

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent
link   Petey Coober    8 years ago

Zero Hedge is usually fairly informational . Perhaps this article got them on the list :

Meet The Leftist Professor Who Wrote The 'Hit List' Of "Fake News" Sites

sixpick
Professor Quiet
link   sixpick  replied to  Petey Coober   8 years ago

A picture can say a thousand words!!!!

Merrimack College assistant professor Melissa Zimdars, author of the "fake news" list circulated online (Photo: Twitter)

Merrimack College assistant professor Melissa Zimdars, author of the “fake news” list circulated online (Photo: Twitter)

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   seeder  Dowser  replied to  Petey Coober   8 years ago

Could be...  But, I ignored her article as I found it too biased.  I was trying to be unbiased!

sixpick
Professor Quiet
link   sixpick    8 years ago

Daily Dot

left11

LEFT BIAS

These media sources are highly biased toward liberal causes.  They utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports and omit reporting of information that may damage liberal causes. Sources in this category may be untrustworthy.

Notes: The Daily Dot is a digital media company covering Internet culture and life on the web.  Moderate left wing political bias.

It appears the publisher of this article has its own position to defend.  Not that almost every site left or right doesn't have the same problem, but as it has been said many times before, "Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder" or "Depends on your point of view".

This is not to say there are many actual fake websites and sources of information out there, but the vast majority are not fake, but  biased one way or another and the truly fake sources are much easier to distinguish than these.  

It's not the fake sources for information that determines the beliefs of the masses, but the biased sources with mass appeal who manipulate the overall population to see things the way they want them to see and understand the information by publishing mild bias to outright lies in order to accomplish their agenda. 

They can do this in several ways.  One way is to not even publish the information for the public to see if it goes against their agenda and another one is to only publish what promotes their agenda. 

A news source which has many newspapers, TV programs and/or websites copying their articles and providing them to their audience has a tremendous advantage over their competition.  This method is the most effective in controlling what the public believes and when they get it wrong millions of people who listen or read this inaccurate or incorrect information from thousands of newspapers that originated from only one newspaper or source are influenced by it.

If what we should consider to be the reliable sources were ethical in their reporting the news and always reported the truth which could be verified at that time or in the future then fake or biased news would not have near as much of a chance to fool the people, but the so-called reliable sources have not been ethical in reporting unbiased news to the people and now we have an assistant professor who herself is a diehard Liberal telling us which sites are biased or fake.

We had the MSM telling us Trump didn't have a chance in hell to win the election.  The MSM were still reporting the counties Hillary had won even after it was evident Trump was going to be the next President.  Their agenda was transparent to many, but many were fooled right up to the last minute.  During the entire campaign all of the main sources of information for the masses were in the bag for Hillary and if anyone denies that, then I won't argue with you because it would be futile to do so.

Now we have Facebook and Google saying they are going to come down on fake news sources, but I doubt they will consider the news sources who edited both the head injury George Zimmerman suffered or the 911 call he made to be one of them.  They never vet a Democrat, but vet the hell out of every Republican who runs for office or is appointed to a position.  Some of us realize we are up against a powerful media who will do anything to push the agenda of those who own them.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   seeder  Dowser  replied to  sixpick   8 years ago

Okay, how about the others?  I told you I went to more liberal sites and more conservative sites...  Both sides.  Feel free to publish a list by a very conservative site, too!  My goal was to be as unbiased as possible.  I made a good faith effort.

Who has the least biased news sites?  Have you noticed that no one tells you that?

sixpick
Professor Quiet
link   sixpick  replied to  Dowser   8 years ago

Dowser, I'm certainly not criticizing you in my comment.  I know you did and there's nothing biased in what you did.

I'm just saying with every one of these so-called fake sites left or right, the MSM is where most Americans get their news and they have much more influence than all these other sites combined whether they are fake or biased.  Most people in this country don't spend half their lives doing what we do.

For example if the New York Times writes an article, it goes to I don't know 40 thousand different newspapers and thousands of people read these newspapers.  If they are biased in their news, then the people are influenced by it.  At at the same time if they don't report on something these same people never even know of this unpublished news.  Probably millions of people see an article that originated from the NYT in their newspaper.  Reuters and Associated Press are the same way.

MSNBC, NBC, Fox and so forth have the evening audience, but NBC, ABC, CBS is available to everyone with a TV, the others being cable.  The big MSM whether it is on TV or the internet have a tremendous advantage in the number of people seeing, hearing and reading the news. 

I know I don't even know most of these so-called fake sites.  I do know the biased sites on both sides, but most people don't even know of them.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   seeder  Dowser  replied to  sixpick   8 years ago

Thanks, six, for your point of view!  I wish we could find a list of UNBIASED news sources.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Dowser   8 years ago

'Unbiased News Sources"?   laughing dude   No such thing.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   seeder  Dowser  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   8 years ago

I'm sure they had a bias, but it wasn't so obvious, back in the day.  I mess Chet Huntley, David Brinkley, Walter Cronkite, et. al.

One Miscreant
Professor Silent
link   One Miscreant    8 years ago

As a rule of thumb, on information sources, Mr. Carlin is on the mark:

"[It's] not important to get children to read. Children who wanna read are gonna read. Kids who want to learn to read going to learn to read. [It's] much more important to teach children to QUESTION what they read. Children should be taught to question everything. To question everything they read, everything they hear. Children should be taught to question authority. Parents never teach their children to question authority because parents are authority figures themselves, and they don't want to undermine their own bullshit inside the household. So they stroke the kid and the kid strokes them, and they all stroke each other, all grow up all fucked up, and they come to shows like this." ~George Carlin

Bring it out into the light, kicking and screaming if necessary...I mean there are many variations on this quote too.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   seeder  Dowser  replied to  One Miscreant   8 years ago

Funny, and true!

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   Krishna    8 years ago

I  just noticed that this section:

Fake/Hoax News sites are satire sites that are not funny.  They are an attempt to play on gullible people who do not check sources and will just pass the news on as if it were really true. Below is the list of know Fake/Hoax News Websites:

listed this:

• MSNBC.co
  • MSNBC.website

Thank goodness many of us were able to escape their evil clutches!

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
link   Dean Moriarty  replied to  Krishna   8 years ago

I don't think anyone actually took them seriously after watching them spew their fake news just prior to the failed Walker recall election. Maddow and Ed Schultz can't go anywhere these days without being laughed at. 

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   seeder  Dowser  replied to  Krishna   8 years ago

LOL!!!

I don't watch that much news, any more...  In fact, the only news programs I really watch are the local ones.  It's nice to know what's going on here-- Occasionally I'll watch CNN, when something BIG is happening.  But, for me, talking head programs are boring and I'd rather read my news...