Category:  News & Politics

Via:  kavika  •  8 years ago  •  20 comments

Veterans to deploy for Standing Rock

Veterans to deploy for Standing Rock

Violence at Dakota Pipeline protest site

JUST WATCHED

Violence at Dakota Pipeline protest site

Violence at Dakota Pipeline protest site 00:52

If built, the $3.7 billion pipeline would carry 470,000 barrels of crude oil a day through North Dakota, South Dakota, Iowa and Illinois. Proponents say the pipeline would significantly decrease US reliance on foreign oil. Opponents say it would destroy culturally significant Native American land and have environmental impacts, including potential water contamination and greenhouse gas emissions.

The Standing Rock Sioux Tribe and its supporters have been protesting the project for months. The protests have been largely peaceful but turned violent on Sunday. Support has flooded in from all over the country on social media under the hashtag #NoDAPL.

In 10 days, the Kickstarter for the veterans' event has raised $43,870 of the $100,000 goal. The money will go toward food, transportation and supplies for the veterans who attend. "It's time to display that honor, courage and commitment we claim to represent," the page reads. "It's time for real patriots. Now more than ever, it's time for anyone and everyone to lead."

Leading the troops

Wesley Clark Jr. , a veteran, screenwriter and activist, created the event along with Michael Wood Jr. , a retired Baltimore police officer and Marine Corps veteran who advocates for police reform.

"I'm going for religious reasons. I'm not a leader. I'm not in charge. We are self-organizing this," Clark said. They are hoping for a turnout of 500, but, "if we only have 20 or 30, that's what God provides us," he said.

Clark decided to take action after an elder from Standing Rock called him about the protests. "When she described what was going on, it brought tears to my eyes," he said. "People are concerned about the way the elders who are praying are being brutalized, and what we are doing to the planet."

Wood said, "If we don't stand up for the oppressed, that's the snowball that starts that leads to everyone else's oppression.

"It doesn't matter if you are a libertarian, a conservative, or a progressive, this is everyone's fight," he said.

Flags of Native American tribes from across the United States and Canada line the entrance of the camp.

Flags of Native American tribes from across the United States and Canada line the entrance of the camp.

Protection for all Americans

Veterans will be making the trek from all over the country to attend. Jade Emilio Snell, a veteran of the Marine Corps, will be attending on behalf of the Rocky Mountain Tribal Leadership Council , which is dedicated to improving health, economic development, and education for tribes in the Rocky Mountains.

"I've been watching the news, how they're spraying everybody and using rubber bullets, and these guys are fighting for what they believe in and as a veteran we took an oath," he said. "We're not just there to protect Americans in foreign countries. We're here to protect this country inside of it, too."

Snell said he is not against the pipeline project, but opposes how it is being executed. "I believe in the pipeline but not how they are doing it. They don't have to go under the water. There are a lot of other options," he said. "It's about protecting Americans. If that pipeline bursts, it will affect our culture, our drinking water, everything."

Police remove pipeline protesters

Remaining peaceful

On the event's Facebook page , organizers told attendees: "Bring Body armor, gas masks, earplugs AND shooting mufflers (we may be facing a sound cannon) but no drugs, alcohol or weapons." The page also emphasizes the importance of working together, and says the event will not tolerate hate, violence or divisive behavior.

"In the ultimate expression of alliance, we are there to put our bodies on the line, no matter the physical cost, in complete nonviolence to provide a clear representation to all Americans of where evil resides," reads the Operation Order for the event. "The water protectors are leading the way against this same evil which we must all face globally, saving ourselves and our children from the apocalyptic outcome of climate change."

"No group in the country has served a greater percentage in US military than Native Americans," said Wood. "We need to support them."

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Kavika     8 years ago

276 vet's have RSVP, more are joining every day.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
link   1stwarrior  replied to  Kavika   8 years ago

Wesley Clark Jr. - isn't he the son of Gen Wesley Clark???  According to the "Internet", he is.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Kavika   replied to  1stwarrior   8 years ago

Yes, he is the son of General Wesley Clark, 1st.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  Kavika   8 years ago

And wasn't he the son of Gen. Mark Clark, of Ike's command? 

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Kavika   replied to  Dowser   8 years ago

I don't believe that he was Mark Clark's son, Dowser.

Moonchild63
Freshman Silent
link   Moonchild63    8 years ago

I salute them -

those who came home to Apathetic Congresses who Helped Corp. Welfare - handing MILLIONS to 'corporate farmers,' V.A.'s under prepared for the aftermath of being sent to evade of sovereign nation - lost limbs, brain injuries, PTSD & more, yet they know the price of Freedom & Congress

NOT so much (as they appointed themselves president over Obama in 2009)

Be Careful, yet Be vigilant!

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Kavika   replied to  Moonchild63   8 years ago

All true Moonchild....The vet's put it on the line time after time.

Now, once again they will be there.

Many have been there already, but this is another group that will ''Stand Tall''

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
link   Larry Hampton    8 years ago

"People are concerned about the way the elders who are praying are being brutalized, and what we are doing to the planet

JohnTrudell.jpg

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Kavika   replied to  Larry Hampton   8 years ago

Excellent, John is one of my all time favorites.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    8 years ago

That's wonderful!!!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient    8 years ago

Dakota 111.jpg

deepwaterdon
Freshman Silent
link   deepwaterdon    8 years ago

With you in spirit and support all the way.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
link   1stwarrior    8 years ago

Veterans ‘Deploy’ To Standing Rock To Engage The Enemy — The US Government -

With an eye toward the media, old military uniforms will be donned so that if the veterans are brutalized by the police, they are brutalized not as ordinary citizens, but as people who once served the government they are protesting against. Then body armor, ear plugs, and gas masks will be issued to those who didn’t bring their own. Bagpipes will play, and traditional Sioux war songs will be sung. The music will continue as everyone marches together to the banks of the Missouri, on the other side of which a line of guards in riot gear will be standing ready with rifles, mace, batons, and dogs. Then, t he veterans and their allies — or at least the ones who are brave enough — will lock arms and cross the river in a “massive line” for their “first encounter” with the “opposing forces .” The goal is to make it to the drilling pad and surround it, arm in arm. That will require making it through the line of guards, who have repelled other such attempts with a level of physical force Sioux tribal members and protesters have described as “excessive” — claims that recently prompted a United Nations investigation. Of course, that’s what the body armor and gas masks are for.

This concerns me.  I foresee physical violence breaking out and the whole Protector's program will go down the drain - shades of 1973.

Kavika
Professor Principal

1st, I have concerns as well. I sent an e mail yesterday to the group asking some specific questions.

1. Have they coordinated with the Standing Rock Sioux and received an OK to do this march.

2. Have they invited this invitation to the many vets that are at Standing Rock now. Since Standing Rock and all of the Sioux reservations in ND/SD/MN have veterans groups. The Turtle Rock rez in ND is Ojibwe and it to has a veterans group.

3. Are there any NA's that are involved in the planning. If not it could/will be a problem.

I planned on attending, but until I receive answers to these questions I'll not get involved.

All that tough talk by Clark Jr. is putting me off, since it will not be well accepted by the tribal council.

Plus this talk of locking arms and crossing the river..I doubt if they have any idea how cold it is in ND. and what the water temperature is..They will have hypothermia in 5 minutes.

Temperatures for the 4th 5th and 6th of December. The days they are supposed to be there.

4th high 29 low 7..5th high 34 low 7, 6th high 27 low 7....

Current water temperature is 44 degrees and headed down.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Kavika   replied to  Kavika   8 years ago

If they plan on not crossing the creek and instead march on dry land, I don't think that they have any idea of the weather. All of those temps given are without wind chill..and the wind blows constantly in ND.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  Kavika   8 years ago

They all need snowmobile suits, hip waders, mittens, hand warmers, etc.  I hope that they are prepared...  Propane heaters would help, too...

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
link   1stwarrior  replied to  Kavika   8 years ago

That was my first thought - no tribal leadership involvement nor any tribal members on the planning committee.  I mean, this ain't NYC where you can just go out and march and scream without proper coordination.

The "authorities" at the protest site have shown that they have no qualms of using physical force if and when they want.  There will be some of the "Vets" who will crack under the water hoses, sound cannons, tear gas - and the instant that a rubber bullet is fired - man, all hell is gonna break loose.

No, Clark doesn't understand the ramifications that could potentially occur - and, sadly, the Native peoples will wind up getting hurt.

Kavika
Professor Principal

Actually I sent the email on the 22nd not the 23rd and as of this minute I have not heard a thing back from them.

I'll send another email again today.