╌>

White House faces exodus of foreign policy experts ahead of Trump's arrival

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  pj  •  8 years ago  •  15 comments

An unusual number of the National Security Council’s more junior officials are looking to depart, amid concerns about incoming adviser Michael Flynn

Julian Borger  

Sunday 18 December 2016 06.00 EST

The White House is struggling to prevent a crippling exodus of foreign policy staffers eager to leave before the arrival of the Trump administration, according to current and former officials.

The top level officials in the National Security Council (NSC) are political appointees who have to submit resignations and leave in a normal transition. The rest of the 400 NSC staff are career civil servants on secondment from other departments. An unusual number of these more junior officials are now looking to depart.

Many are concerned by a proliferation of reports about the incoming national security adviser, Michael Flynn. On Wednesday  the Washington Post reported that Flynn had improperly shared classified information with foreign military officers. On the same day, CNN reported that the former Defense Intelligence Agency chief had this week  deleted a tweet  he had sent out a few days before the election that linked to a fake news story suggesting Hillary Clinton took part in crimes against children.

“Career people are looking get out and go back to their agencies and pressure is being put on them to get them to stay. There is concern there will be a half-empty NSC by the time the new administration arrives, which no one wants,” said one official.

The official added that the “landing team” sent to the NSC – Trump representatives who are supposed to prepare for the handover to Trump appointees – have been focused on issues of process and how the office functions, rather than issues of substance involving an explanation of current national security threats and the state of the world the new administration will inherit.

The Trump transition team in New York did not respond to a request for comment. The current NSC spokesman, Ned Price, said in an email: “The administration has undertaken its national security transition planning with the utmost rigour and seriousness in order to effect the most seamless and responsible transition.”

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/dec/18/national-security-council-exodus-foreign-policy-michael-flynn

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   seeder  PJ    8 years ago

Trump representatives who are supposed to prepare for the handover to Trump appointees – have been focused on issues of process and how the office functions, rather than issues of substance involving an explanation of current national security threats and the state of the world the new administration will inherit.

This seems to be the theme - a focus on process with little to no interest on substance.   

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell  replied to  PJ   8 years ago

My prediction for Trump's foreign policy is a combination of continuing the status quo, a catering to the wishes of Putin, and "deals" that make a lot of money for Trump and his cronies. 

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
link   Dean Moriarty    8 years ago

Good this is what draining the swamp looks like. A good house cleaning all through Washington is coming soon. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell  replied to  Dean Moriarty   8 years ago

rofl

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   seeder  PJ  replied to  Dean Moriarty   8 years ago

These are the lower level staff that work their asses off for the big dogs lording over the swamp.  It's not a good idea to fuck over those who are in the trenches but you go ahead and celebrate what you think draining the swamp is Dean.  You clearly have no idea that these are good people and good Americans that are caught in between the politics of this situation.  

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov  replied to  PJ   8 years ago

"These are the lower level staff that work their asses off..."

Serious question. Have you worked with many civil service staff? Because that made me laugh out loud.

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   seeder  PJ  replied to  Cerenkov   8 years ago

I thought I read somewhere on this forum where you said you were self employed.  Am I wrong?  Just curious to know how many civil servants you've worked with and which Agency?

I've worked with civil servants for over 23 years and I admit there are some really horrible civil servants.  One thing that I liked that Donald Trump mentioned was making it easier to get rid of bad gov't employees BUT we're not all horrible and I'm tired of hearing everyone act like civil servants are nothing more than welfare recipients.

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov  replied to  PJ   8 years ago

I'm a consultant but I'm not self-employed. I've worked with the DOE and NRC for most of my career. I've also worked with Army Corps of Engineers.

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov    8 years ago

Seems like these junior staffers are putting party above nation. Sad.

Uncle Bruce
Professor Quiet
link   Uncle Bruce    8 years ago

Frankly, if these are the current foreign policy experts, they SHOULD leave.  Considering the foreign policy of this administration has led to complete and utter chaos in the middle east, and escalated tensions with North Korea, China, and Russia, these folks definitely need to go.

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   seeder  PJ  replied to  Uncle Bruce   8 years ago

Since when were the junior staff responsible for making the decisions Bruce?  All they do is gather the information and make recommendations.  I would think you would know out of most on this forum about chain of command.  Don't punish the junior staff for the decisions made by their bosses.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
link   Mark in Wyoming     8 years ago

after a little contemplation , what this sounds like is a TDA   for the military only its civilian equivalent. people sent temporarily to serve elsewhere.

now if the moves back to their originating agencies is before the secondment agreements are up because of political beliefs or disagreements , then i would have to say they have a choice, one finish out the agreed timeframe , and then transfer back if there is a spot in their originating agency , find someone else within their agency to take their place , or simply quit. that last option wasn't an option for military members looking to get out of a temp duty assignment.

But that's just a first look impression with nothing more to go on except what was presented.

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent
link   1ofmany    8 years ago

If I were in this situation, I'd worry about being trapped and want to get out while officials from my original agency were still in place to take me back. These details may have been requested by employees who wanted to work in an Obama White House. They have no idea whether they'll now be asked to do something unethical/stupid and, despite civil service protection, fired if they make any waves. I've seen people trapped in details when the government decides to trim the workforce and people like this are easy targets.