╌>

Questions for Christians - n° 5

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  bob-nelson  •  8 years ago  •  47 comments

Questions for Christians - n° 5

The pollsters tell us a significant portion of Mr Trump's supporters consider themselves Christians. This leaves me mystified, because I do not see how one can follow Christ and follow Mr Trump at the same time. The paths, it seems to me, lead in opposite directions...

Benjamin Corey edits a pretty good blog

Corey_logo.png

He has an article up right now called 5 Serious Questions I Have For Christians Who Support Donald Trump . It expresses my skepticism about "Christians for Trump" quite well. It's pretty long, so I'll spread it over several seeds.

-------------------------------------

-------------------------------------

5440995682_c53756ae95_b

Image via Gage Skidmore, Flickr

I used to consider myself a person of at least average intelligence, but I’ve been trying to wrap my head around the idea of Christians supporting Donald Trump, and I just can’t do it.

I tried, but I have failed miserably.

Instead, I’ve just found myself left with questions. So, here are 5 questions I have for Christians who support Donald Trump:

5. How are you able to support someone who is famous for unwholesome talk and constantly putting people down?

You know that Bible we read? (It’s thick and usually has a fake leather cover. Check the shelf.)

Well, that Bible has a few things to say about how we use our tongues and about the kind of garbage we should resist allowing to flow from our little speaking machines.

I mean, I know it’s a big book, but surely you’ve gotten to the part where Paul says that no unwholesome words should come out of our mouths,  but only those words which edify and build people up , no?

I’ll tell you this: When you compare what the Bible teaches about how we should use our words, to how Trump uses his, you’re going to find two opposite examples. It’s one thing to disagree with people, and even forcefully challenge their ideas, but that can be done without stooping to the levels Trump stoops to.

Or, let me ask it this way: How would you react if your kids came home from school talking like Donald Trump? How would you feel if they  talked to you  the way Trump talks to others?

Would you seriously be okay with that? C’mon now! Be honest with yourself.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
link   seeder  Bob Nelson    8 years ago

I haven't actually seen any bumper-stickers, "Christian for Trump"...

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah    8 years ago

"The pollsters tell us a significant portion of Mr Trump's supporters consider themselves Christians."

US prisons are filled with felons who consider themselves Christians.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
link   seeder  Bob Nelson  replied to  Hal A. Lujah   8 years ago

True, Hal. 

What does that have to do with the topic of this article.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Bob Nelson   8 years ago

Youre a Christian if you say you are, not if you act a certain way.

There was a priest (Gerald Robinson) in my home town that sacrificed a nun at the alter.  He was a life long Christian.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
link   seeder  Bob Nelson  replied to  Hal A. Lujah   8 years ago

Youre a Christian if you say you are, not if you act a certain way.

That's the topic, Hal. If what you say is true, then of course there's no problem with supporting Trump or anyone else. But if what you say is true, then there's no Christ in Christian. 

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
link   Dean Moriarty    8 years ago

I suspect it is because they were voting for a President not a Pope. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell    8 years ago

People didn't need Donald Trump in order to be hypocritical about religious precepts. That would have happened anyway. 

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah    8 years ago

I'm obviously not a Christian, but I would take a bullet to the face before I would vote for Donald Trump.  In fact, the primary feature I was looking for in a president was a history of honesty.  My preferred candidate didn't make it through the primaries, so I voted for the candidate who had the best record in this regard, which is Clinton.  I wouldn't trust Donald Trump with what time it is, because his lies are so frequent and obvious that his name is synonymous with lying.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell  replied to  Hal A. Lujah   8 years ago

Hal, you spoke an obvious truth. 

Many a Christian has had to look in the mirror and lie to themselves as they prepared to mark their ballot for Donald Trump. 

sixpick
Professor Quiet
link   sixpick  replied to  Hal A. Lujah   8 years ago

I'm obviously not a Christian, but I would take a bullet to the face before I would vote for Donald Trump.

Well you got me on that one.  I'd have to vote for Hillary before I'd be that crazy, Hal. LOL

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov    8 years ago

What a silly thread. Give unto Caesar...