╌>

George W. Bush Throws Shade At Donald Trump

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  jwc2blue  •  7 years ago  •  6 comments

George W. Bush Throws Shade At Donald Trump

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/george-w-bush-donald-trump_us_58b428e7e4b0780bac2b3ff6?

“I am for an immigration policy that is welcoming and upholds the law,” the 43rd president said.

Former President George W. Bush took President Donald Trump ’s administration to task on Monday.

The 43rd president called for a “welcoming” immigration policy and underscored the importance of a free press during an interview with Matt Lauer on the “Today” show .

“I consider the media to be indispensable to democracy,” Bush told Lauer. “We need an independent media to hold people like me to account. Power can be very addictive, and it can be corrosive.”

Bush recalled spending time during his presidency attempting to convince other world leaders, specifically Russian President Vladimir Putin, to “accept the notion of a free press.”

“It’s kind of hard to tell others to have an independent free press if we’re not willing to have one ourselves,” Bush said.

“I consider the media to be indispensable to democracy…Power can be very addictive.” Former President Bush

— TODAY (@TODAYshow) February 27, 2017

The former president’s comments contrast deeply with Trump’s attacks on the media. Trump has taken an aggressive stance against the press since taking office, labeling the fourth estate “the opposition party” in January and  “the enemy of the American people” earlier this month.

Bush also called the right to worship freely a “bedrock of our freedom” and took a dig at Trump’s January executive order on immigration, which sought to indefinitely ban Syrian refugees and temporarily block visitors from seven Muslim-majority countries.

“I understood right off the bat ... that [the executive order] was an ideological conflict,” Bush told Lauer. “I am for an immigration policy that is welcoming and upholds the law.”

“A bedrock of our freedom is the right to worship freely.” -Former President Bush in response to question about Trump travel ban

— TODAY (@TODAYshow) February 27, 2017

A federal judge in Washington state  temporarily halted the order nearly a week after it was signed. Less than a week later, a federal court ultimately denied the Trump administration’s request to restore the order. The administration will not pursue an appeal to the Supreme Court, but instead plans to  create a new executive order .

Lauer also asked Bush about the FBI’s current investigation into alleged ties between Trump associates and Russian officials during the 2016 presidential campaign. 

“I think we all need answers,” Bush said. “I have great faith in Richard Burr, for example. He’s the head of the Senate Intelligence Committee ― really good guy and an independent thinker. If he were to recommend a special prosecutor, then it would have a lot more credibility with me.”

Lt. Gen. Michael Flynn was forced to resign as national security advisor earlier this month after the White House revealed he had “misled” Vice President Mike Pence about conversations he had in December with a Russian ambassador. Three more Trump associates are also being investigated by the FBI for alleged links to the Kremlin during the campaign. Still, the Trump administration has repeatedly denied reports about the issue from The New York Times , The Washington Post and CNN .

How will Trump’s first 100 days impact you? Sign up for our weekly newsletter and get breaking updates on Trump’s presidency by messaging us here .

CORRECTION : A previous version of this story said a federal judge in New York temporarily halted President Donald Trump’s immigration order nearly a week after it was signed. That judge was in Washington state.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     7 years ago

I disagreed with many of Bush's policies, but I did feel that he was trying to do his best.

His words in the interview were profound. I'll bet that Trump will attack him over those words.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

I also disagreed with many things he did, such as the invasion of Iraq. However I strongly supported going into Afghanistan after Bin Laden and the Taliban and most of all I strongly supported his attempts at getting a Comprehensive Immigration Bill past his own party, even if it didn't make it. He has been about the only Republican President (except perhaps for Reagan when he declared the general amnesty) that I can remember who reached out to the Hispanic people and wanted to give the undocumented ones a real path to citizenship and have a real guest worker program for those who just want to come for work on a seasonal basis, instead of trying to kick them all out.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.    7 years ago

I think that Pres. Bush did the best that he could and yes he made mistakes, but I don't think that any president doesn't. He was at least an honest and good man. 

That being said, I think that his words should ring true with the American people. What he says does have merit, since he got plenty of bad media, but never lashed out at them. 

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   7 years ago

Bush was a bit more mature than Trump is.  I, too, think he did the best job he could do, within the confines of his beliefs.  It never occurred to him that other people don't have as much money as he had, or that the gas/oil crisis could have such far-reaching effects, or that crooks are crooked in the banking industry...

Yet, I do feel that basically he's a good man at heart.  He was just in over his head.