╌>

How to Reason With a Trump Voter -- RBI

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  community  •  7 years ago  •  16 comments

How to Reason With a Trump Voter -- RBI

LINK

Video at link...

We are too quick to vilify those on the opposite side of the political aisle. I am firmly opposed to Donald Trump, but because of where I live, I know a lot of good and decent people who voted for him. If I feel the urge to disparage Trump supporters as a group, I have to reconcile that urge with what I know about the Trump voters with whom I work, eat and pray.

Ben Mallicote

There are unquestionably people who voted for Trump for ugly reasons, and those folks are probably beyond persuasion (at least by me), but I've decided I'm going to spend the next four years trying to persuade the good and decent people; to appeal to their reason and the "better angels of their nature."

Persuading them means addressing the motivations they've expressed, not the motivations we might ascribe to them based on the worst and loudest people on their side. That's what I tried to do with a piece I posted last week on Facebook, and later on my  website . It ended up getting a lot of attention on the internet, and a version of it is reprinted below.

Surprisingly, the most common criticism I've gotten from the piece has not been from those on the right saying I'm a "libtard snowflake," but from those on the left who think I should have said, "You voted for Trump because you're a fascist," or the like. While it's surely true of some Trump voters, it's grossly unfair as a blanket criticism of all Trump voters. Such hot language rightfully alienates decent people, and cuts off any opportunity we might have had to change their minds.

Women Trump voters praise the President

Women Trump voters praise the President   03:29

Contrary to the social media headlines, we shouldn't aim to DESTROY or EVISCERATE or ANNIHILATE the other side; we must persuade them to consider a different perspective. That's not easy, but it's necessary.

That doesn't mean we should allow wrongs to go unanswered, or yield even an inch in the defense of our rights. It's incumbent on all of us to remind our fellow citizens -- boldly and continuously -- about the ways that this administration is violating democratic norms and American ideals. A call to treat one another with respect is emphatically not a call to "normalize" what the Trump administration and the worst of its supporters are doing.

To the vast majority of American people, we can say this is evil without saying you are evil.

We should, however, address their stated rationale for voting the way they did. So to those good and decent people who voted for Donald Trump, here is what I wrote on Facebook and would like to say today:

Trump voters applaud travel ban

Trump voters applaud travel ban   02:55

You voted for Trump because Hillary Clinton was going to be in Wall Street's pocket. Trump wants to repeal Dodd-Frank and eliminate the Fiduciary Rule, letting Wall Street return to its pre-2008 ways.

You voted for Trump because you thought the Clinton Foundation was "pay for play." Trump has refused to wall off his businesses from his administration, and personally profits from payments from foreign governments.

You voted for Trump because of Clinton's role in Benghazi. Trump ordered the Yemen raid without adequate intel, and tweeted about "FAKE NEWS" while Americans died as a result of his carelessness.

You voted for Trump because Clinton didn't care about "the little guy." Trump's cabinet is full of billionaires, and he's taking away your health insurance so he can give them a multi-million-dollar tax break.

Trump voters on his first week as President

Trump voters on his first week as President   08:29

You voted for Trump because he was going to build a wall and Mexico was going to pay for it. American consumers will pay for the wall via import tariffs.

You voted for Trump because Clinton was going to get us into a war. Trump has provoked our enemies, alienated our allies and given ISIS a decade's worth of recruiting material.

You voted for Trump because Clinton didn't have the "stamina" to do the job. Trump hung up on the Australian Prime Minister during a 5 p.m. phone call because "it was at the end of a long day and he was tired and fatigue was setting in."

You voted for Trump because foreign leaders wouldn't respect Clinton. Foreign leaders, both friendly and hostile, are openly mocking Trump.

You voted for Trump because Clinton lies and "he tells it like it is." Trump and his administration lie with a regularity and brazenness that can only be described as shocking.

Let's be honest about what really happened.

The reality is that you voted for Trump because you got conned. Trump is a grifter and the American people were the mark. Hey, it happens, and there's no shame in being taken in by a pro. But now that you know the score, quit insisting the conman is on your side.

You will note that this does not denigrate anyone, and is well-reasoned and pleasant in tone.  Please keep your comments the same.

Thanks for coming by!

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   seeder  Dowser    7 years ago

Please keep your tone pleasant and make well-reasoned arguments.  This article is not a slam to anyone, but is a more moderate approach.

Thank you.

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov    7 years ago

What a remarkably condescending article. The author will reach one with his attitude.

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
link   Larry Hampton  replied to  Cerenkov   7 years ago

The reality is that you voted for Trump because you got conned. Trump is a grifter and the American people were the mark.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   seeder  Dowser  replied to  Cerenkov   7 years ago

It still recognized that Trump voters were good and decent people.  It did not label them, it did not say conservative idiots, etc.

It may be condescending, to a point, but it wasn't hateful...  I mean, compare this article to the article about conservatives talking with liberals.  Many denigrating statements were made...

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
link   Dean Moriarty    7 years ago

This guy is so out of touch with middle America he must be a liberal. His attempts to convince Trump voters they made a mistake will strengthen their belief they made the right choice. It was guys like him that helped to get Trump elected. Good to see he hasn't learned from their failures. 

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
link   Larry Hampton  replied to  Dean Moriarty   7 years ago

The reality is that you voted for Trump because you got conned. Trump is a grifter and the American people were the mark.

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
link   Dean Moriarty  replied to  Larry Hampton   7 years ago

In the eyes of this liberal Hillary brown noser. 

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
link   Larry Hampton  replied to  Dean Moriarty   7 years ago

Nope. Do not support Clinton, and never voted Democrat in any Presidential election. Until this election, I was a registered Republican, but my conscience and intellect wouldn't allow me to vote for Rump.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell    7 years ago

You can only reason with people who are willing to be reasoned with. 

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

Therein lies the problem.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy    7 years ago

The reality is that you voted for Trump because you got conned. Trump is a grifter and the American people were the mark. Hey, it happens, and there's no shame in being taken in by a pro. But now that you know the score, quit insisting the conman is on your side.

Exactly and the problem is that many of the Trump voters who held their noses while voting for him are having a hard time admitting it because no one wants to admit that they've been had. Hoodwinked. Bamboozled. Run amuck. They didn't land on the Trump they got. The Trump they got fell on them.

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
link   Larry Hampton  replied to  Randy   7 years ago

Combine that stubbornness with the hyper partisanship prevalent in modern US politics, and we have a mess that will leave us stymied for years.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   seeder  Dowser  replied to  Larry Hampton   7 years ago

Just as we are here, on NT...