╌>

Donald Trump Blames SEAL’s Death On Military: ‘They Lost Ryan’

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  jwc2blue  •  7 years ago  •  39 comments

Donald Trump Blames SEAL’s Death On Military: ‘They Lost Ryan’

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/donald-trump-ryan-owens-seal-raid_us_58b58852e4b0780bac2d58c6?l4u6jemi&

The buck stops with ‘them.'

President Donald Trump on Tuesday dodged responsibility for a botched mission he ordered in Yemen last month, placing the onus on the military and Barack Obama’s administration instead.

Bill Owens, the father of Chief Petty Officer William “Ryan” Owens, the Navy SEAL who died in the operation, demanded an investigation into his son’s death over the weekend. Owens further revealed he couldn’t bear to meet Trump at the airport  as Ryan’s casket was carried off the military plane last month.

Asked about the matter during an interview with Fox News’ “Fox ‘n’ Friends,” Trump repeatedly said “they” were responsible for the outcome of the mission, in reference to the military.

“This was a mission that was started before I got here. This was something they wanted to do,” he said. “They came to me, they explained what they wanted to do ― the generals ― who are very respected, my generals are the most respected that we’ve had in many decades, I believe. And they lost Ryan.

“I can understand people saying that. I’d feel ― ‘What’s worse?’ There’s nothing worse,” he added. “This was something that they were looking at for a long time doing, and according to [Defense Secretary Jim] Mattis it was a very successful mission. They got tremendous amounts of information.”

“I can understand... I’d feel ‘what’s worse?’ There’s nothing worse.” - @POTUS on fallen Navy SEAL’s father not wanting to talk to him pic.twitter.com/cPeJhB94ox

— FOX & friends (@foxandfriends) February 28, 2017

The raid yielded no significant intelligence , U.S. officials told NBC News on Monday. Earlier this month, however, Pentagon officials said it produced “actionable intelligence.” So, too, did White House press secretary Sean Spicer, who initially called the raid “ highly successful. ” 

“I think anyone who undermines the success of that raid owes an apology and [does] a disservice to the life of Chief Owens,” he said earlier this month. “The raid, the action that was taken in Yemen was a huge success.”

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    7 years ago

Part of being president is accepting blame for your mistakes.  The last president that I remember doing that was Harry Truman.  I could easily be wrong, but "The buck stops here" was a pretty good way to do things.

I don't see how someone can spend 18 months ripping into a sitting president and then, at the beginning of one's own term, order a military action planned by the people you were ripping into.  Trump would do better to admit he was wrong and apologize.  But, of course, he won't do that.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell    7 years ago

The most likely explanation is that Trump wanted to make a "splash" by ordering an anti- jihadist raid a few days after he took office. Sure, it was put to him, but he could have said 'let's wait a little' until he had some grasp of what was going on. 

I don't blame Trump personally for the failure, maybe no one should be blamed. You don't win every fight in a war. It is his casual defecting of responsibility that shows he is a piece of trash. 

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

I heard somewhere that he just went about his day and played on twitter while the event was occurring, instead on monitoring it in the situation room.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell  replied to  Hal A. Lujah   7 years ago

He probably forgot it was happening. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     7 years ago

Unbelievable....just unbelievable.

No wonder the father refused to meet with him.

He attacks the Khan's, degrades McCain, and all this from a guy that got 3 or 4 deferments, and than a bone spur.

But hey, he went to a military school and fought off STD's in the 60's and 70's.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

But hey, he went to a military school and fought off STD's in the 60's and 70's.

And claimed that going to military school was equal to being in the real military (show me your DD214 dumbass!) and that his dangerous dating because he might catch VD was the same as his Vietnam. What a fucking unAmerican asshole!

lady in black
Professor Quiet
link   lady in black    7 years ago

Trump is never ever ever at fault....NEVER.....SMH.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy    7 years ago

As a Veteran I am insulted. As an American I am insulted. As a thinking human being I am insulted.

He is a coward and not a Commander in Chief. He is not a President and he shows it more everyday. He is not my President and this is only one of the reasons why.

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
link   Nowhere Man    7 years ago

Interesting in they are referencing Trump's speech before congress. Specifically his comments about Chief Ryan for which he received a standing ovation. Chief Ryans mother was present in the Gallery and also received a standing ovation and Trump against received another ovation when he made his comment.

You are aware that CBS News did a poll on said speech and over 75% of Americans thought it was a home run?

Of course you and HuffPo do, that is the only reason to pervert what he said into this plain hit piece that truthfully represents the hate of the liberal left than any truth about what he actually said.

Way to go, turn something great into trash for your own edification. but what your really revealing?

Your own hate.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  Nowhere Man   7 years ago

My comment was not posted in reference to his speech. Just in reference to the posted article and his cowardice and imcompetence as a CiC.

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
link   Nowhere Man  replied to  Randy   7 years ago

Your comments didn't, the article you based them upon from HuffPo did.

Randy
Sophomore Participates

The above article was published before the speech.

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide

Ok, posted the same day as the speech after the speech copy was released to the press but before it was actually delivered.....

If it isn't a response to it I'll eat my hat.

Randy
Sophomore Participates

Most of the comments were posted on the 28th of last month, so they could not be in any manner be in response to any article posted on the same day as Trumps speech. I have no idea why it says "yesterday" at the top (maybe Perrie knows?) but this articla was up for at least 3 days before the speech.

Do you want fries with that hat?

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  Randy   7 years ago

The Huffington article itself was written on Feb 28th.

Maybe some ketchup?

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide

What day was yesterday guys, Feb 28th, (now two days ago) the last day of February or did you forget this? I do believe that is the same day he gave the speech wasn't it, in the late afternoon? Your replies to me were on March 1st. your posting was on the 28th after the HuffPo article, but before his speech wasn't it....

And doesn't the white house usually release speeches hours earlier usually in the morning so the oppo can get a response ready if they wish to respond? You don't have to answer that I KNOW they do.

You guys make sure you ask for the whipped sour milk when they serve you your pie.....

And fries don't go with hats......

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell  replied to  Nowhere Man   7 years ago

"Interesting in they are referencing Trump's speech before congress. Specifically his comments about Chief Ryan for which he received a standing ovation. Chief Ryans mother was present in the Gallery and also received a standing ovation and Trump against received another ovation when he made his comment."

"Ok, posted the same day as the speech after the speech copy was released to the press but before it was actually delivered.....

If it isn't a response to it I'll eat my hat."

Asked about the matter during an interview with Fox News’ “Fox ‘n’ Friends,” Trump repeatedly said “they” were responsible for the outcome of the mission, in reference to the military.

The seeded article is not connected to Trump's speech before Congress,...and not a response to it. 

It is a response to an interview Trump gave to a Fox show early Tuesday morning. 

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
link   Nowhere Man  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

TUESDAY WAS THE 28TH....

Learn to read a calendar why don't you.

One more thing, he had no media interview on Tuesday the 28th.....

President schedule Tuesday Feb 28th 2017

So that part is an outright lie....

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy    7 years ago

I did and you proved nothing at all. Yada yada yada blah blah blah and so on....