╌>

Liberals Have to Avoid Sounding ‘So F*cking Condescending and Smug’

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  xxjefferson51  •  7 years ago  •  66 comments

Liberals Have to Avoid Sounding ‘So F*cking Condescending and Smug’
On Friday’s broadcast of HBO’s “Real Time,” New York Magazine Writer-at-Large Andrew Sullivan argued, “Liberals have to be careful not to sound so f*cking condescending and smug, as if they know it, and start actually engaging the other side and persuading people.”

Sullivan said there was a “giant cloud of smug” above MSNBC anchor Rachel Maddow during her Trump tax story. Liberals have to be careful to not so fucking condescending and smug as if they know it and start engaging the other side and persuading people.

He continued, “Liberals have to be careful not to sound so f*cking condescending and smug, as if they know it, and start actually engaging the other side and persuading people.” http://www.breitbart.com/video/2017/03/17/andrew-sullivan-liberals-avoid-sounding-fcking-condescending-smug/

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Aeonpax
Freshman Silent
link   Aeonpax    7 years ago

`

Like with 99% of all cable news personalities, I've never watched them on TV.  I'm only familiar with them by name and on youtube.  In the case of Rachel Maddow, what I have seen of her program snippets, she seems condescending, however, that is why she appeals to a large enough niche audience.  To me, it's all entertainment.

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   PJ    7 years ago

Great......now being intelligent is considered condescending.  ((shaking my head and rolling my eyes))

I seriously don't care if the poor stupid deplorable trump voter thinks democrats are condescending.  That excuse doesn't work for me on why you voted in such a dangerously stupid individual.  

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah    7 years ago

Interesting how condescending and smug the title of this article is. The rest of it is probably just as bad. I wouldn't know, since the title is enough to deter me from taking any interest in reading it.

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
link   Dean Moriarty    7 years ago

I hope they continue on with their out of touch condescending smugness. It helps to ensure they will lose elections. 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
link   seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Dean Moriarty   7 years ago

Exactly right on a national level.  Of course the perpetrators of what the seed title describes here are energetic in defending said smugness.  

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   PJ  replied to  XXJefferson51   7 years ago

Is it something I said?  hehehehehehechuckle

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
link   seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  PJ   7 years ago

You?  Are you a liberal or something?  So much for moderate and balanced.  good one

PJ
Masters Quiet

Well I don't feel moderate or balanced on this site!  patience   

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
You came here saying that you were an independent and moderate and yet you Have been quite shrill in pro left rhetoric virtually since your day one here.  

PJ
Masters Quiet

you Have been quite shrill in pro left rhetoric 

X!  hahahaha

It's not nice to say I've been "shrill".  Did you go to church today because you need to do some more praying.  

I am an Independent.  It's just that the country has moved so far to the right that I've been forced.....forced I tell ya..... to move to the left.   

ps - you're never supposed to call a woman shrill X.  It doesn't turn out well......

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide

I've referred to Hillary as the Shrill for about 25 years now.  You could consider it a compliment to be in such company.  

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   Krishna  replied to  XXJefferson51   7 years ago

You came here saying that you were an independent and moderate and yet you Have been quite shrill in pro left rhetoric virtually since your day one here.

Good point, Oh Great Seal! (Of the State of Confusion ).

Seal with Ball

And yet you yourself have never been quite shrill in pro right-wing rhetoric virtually since your day one here.

Kudos to you, Great Seal from the State of Confusion!

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
link   seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Krishna   7 years ago

I never came here pretending to be either an independent or a middle of the road / fence straddler.  I came here as a proud conservative.  Long live the state of Jefferson! 

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  XXJefferson51   7 years ago

You are not a conservative. You are a heartless far right winger and you use phony Christianity to try to justify it. Shame on you!

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
link   seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Randy   7 years ago

Our resident expert on psychiatry has passed judgement upon me from his padded room.   

Randy
Sophomore Participates

Actually I am in a very nice family room with a big screen TV (turned to MSNBC of course) two dogs. a pit group sofa with a very conformable chaise lounge that is good for a nap. It looks out onto the patio where the swimming pool is and we have been very lucky that in the past couple of days our pool has been visited by some very beautiful Mallard Ducks. Right now I m sitting at the breakfast bar that separates the family room from the kitchen. I just finished a great Jack In The Box sandwich and am sipping some very cheap scotch. I was typing earlier while watching "To Kill A Mockingbird" on the TV on the VCR (yes I still have many VHS tape).

I am listening now to CNN as they report on Trump going bat shit crazy on twitter, most of which makes no sense and he is sounding so defensive that he is practically confusing that he collaborated with the Russians during the campaign. He should have stayed in bed. He has an AR15 pointed at his feet and is firing on full auto. He is digging his own grave right now and the pundits are already talking about how it is going to be after he is gone.

I am not an expert on Psychiatry. However I have a great deal of experience from both sides of mental illness in America, so yes, I am something of an expert. I certainly know much more about it then the average layman.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide

I guess you know enough to pass judgement from afar on someone you never met.  

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   A. Macarthur  replied to  XXJefferson51   7 years ago

Long live the state of Jefferson! 

The state may live long …

But get back to me when some of its elderly and children die when heartless conservatives take away their health insurance and use the money it saves to give $193,000 tax breaks to the most wealthy in America.

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent
link   Petey Coober  replied to  A. Macarthur   7 years ago

use the money it saves to give $193,000 tax breaks to the most wealthy in America.

Also to give tax relief to those millenials who can't afford the IRS surcharge on their forced ACA payments ...

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   A. Macarthur  replied to  Petey Coober   7 years ago

You apparently don't understand how this bill will be set up; millennials will do much better regarding the fiscal and health expenses than will those of ages 50-64.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   A. Macarthur  replied to  A. Macarthur   7 years ago

The tax breaks coming from subsidy cuts on the poor will go overwhelmingly tor people with incomes over $250,000/year, the $193,000 for the top .01% billionaires.

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   Krishna    7 years ago

On Friday’s broadcast of HBO’s “Real Time,” New York Magazine Writer-at-Large Andrew Sullivan argued, “Liberals have to be careful not to sound so f*cking condescending and smug, as if they know it, and start actually engaging the other side and persuading people.”

Well, that comment certainly validates what we've known about Andrew Sullivan for some time now... he's one of the most f*cking condescending and smug people in media today.

Sad!

Krishna
Professor Expert

Sad!

One might almost consider it to actually be

F*cking Sad!

Krishna
Professor Expert

Sad!

One might almost consider it to actually be

F*Cking  Sad!

Welcome-to-Fucking.jpg

Fucking, Austria

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For the Austrian village formerly called "Fucking", see  Fugging .
Fucking
Village
The frequently stolen traffic sign[1] at the entrance to the village of Fucking.
The  frequently stolen traffic sign [1]  at the entrance to the village of Fucking.
Fucking is located in Austria
Fucking
Fucking
Location in Austria, 4 kilometers from the German border.
Coordinates:  48°04′02″N   12°51′49″E Coordinates 48°04′02″N   12°51′49″E
Country Austria
State Upper Austria
Region Innviertel
Municipality Tarsdorf
Established since at least 1070
Named for 6th century nobleman named Focko
Population
 • Total 104
Time zone CET  ( UTC+1 )
 • Summer ( DST ) CEST  ( UTC+2 )
Postal code 5121 Tarsdorf
Area code(s) 07940
Licence plate BR

Fucking  ( German pronunciation:   [ˈfʊkɪŋ]  (   listen ) , rhymes with " booking " [2] ) is an  Austrian   village [3]  in the municipality of  Tarsdorf , [4]  in the  Innviertel  region of western  Upper Austria . The village is 33 kilometres (21 mi) north of  Salzburg , 4 kilometres (2.5 mi) east of the  river Inn , which forms the  German  border.

Despite having a population of only 104 in 2005, the village has drawn attention for its unusual place name [5] [6]  in the  English-speaking world . Its road signs are a popular visitor attraction, and they were  often stolen  by souvenir-hunting tourists until 2005, when the signs were modified to be theft-resistant.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     7 years ago

When they say liberals talk down to them, right-wingers mean that liberals keep using facts and careful, peaceful language. Liberals will be accused of talking down to them until liberals agree completely with them.

And, by the way, no one talks down more to those they disagree with than right-wingers – ex. “We patriots.” “We true Americans.” “We Moral Majority.” “We Christians.”

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
link   seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

crazyvomit vomitvomitliarthumbs down

Randy
Sophomore Participates

Classic response from someone with nothing intelligent to say. Not surprising coming fro you though. You used to actually be at least interesting, but you are slipping badly toward BF territory.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide

Big hugsFree the fish!  Partythumbs upapplausepraying  What did you expect me to say to the one who shall not be named above.  

Randy
Sophomore Participates

It's becoming apparent that you are BF on another computer at another IP address. Whatever you worship help you.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide

I am not now nor have I ever been BF. Sad attempt at screen name speculation on your part.

Randy
Sophomore Participates

You are absolutely correct. It was not the right thing for me to do. I was wrong to accuse you of actually being BF and I sincerely apologize to you for saying so. I hope you will accept it.

Randy

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide

No problem.  Apology accepted.  It can get heated discussing things and sometimes we say things we regret later.  I shouldn't have made a reference to a rubber room earlier and apologize for that.   

Randy
Sophomore Participates

Peace...except for our next argument.Happy

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  XXJefferson51   7 years ago

I love it when you show your inability to respond with the written word, XX.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   A. Macarthur    7 years ago

“Liberals have to be careful not to sound so f*cking condescending and smug, as if they know it, and start actually engaging the other side and persuading people.”

And those who accuse liberals and others of that do so because they can't make a fucking reasonable argument against something that pisses them off but which they know damned-straight well is on target.

It's a manifestation of intellectual insecurity, sometimes of bigotry and prejudices, or … JUST PLAIN F'n IGNORANCE OR STUPIDITY.

In the educated world, it is referred to as "ad hominem" … in the colloquial world it's known as "shoot the messenger".

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
link   seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  A. Macarthur   7 years ago
Interesting response proving the point of the seeded article from one most like who Sullivan was talking about.  Im simply the messenger and your best shot missed.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

Interesting response proving the point of the seeded article from one most like who Sullivan was talking about.  Im simply the messenger and your best shot missed.

Actually, the response to which you allude explains the article's mischaracterization of providing valid rebuttals to falsehoods, lies … and MISCHARACTERIZATIONS like the very seeded article posits.

A pronouncement is not necessary a fact … in fact … it generally is comprised of a broad-brush generalization intended to stereotype and denigrate … an editorial under the guise of a factual report.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide

When Sullivan said what he said to Maher, he was thinking of you.  

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

When Sullivan said what he said to Maher, he was thinking of you.  

This from the guy who posted earlier …

I guess you know enough to pass judgement from afar on someone you never met.  

Ad hominem/shoot-the-messenger, Dude … this is how it works and this is why Sullivan has merely pandered to those who do what you do (in place of viable rebuttal).

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  A. Macarthur   7 years ago

In other words, ''full of shit'', Mac.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide

Actually the seeded story is a factual report detailing what Sullivan said to Maher on Mahers show.  Are you denying that it happened or upset that the details of it were brought here?  

Anita Blackman
Freshman Silent
link   Anita Blackman    7 years ago

No Republithug is going to tell me how to think.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
link   seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Anita Blackman   7 years ago

You must be new here.  We don't denigrate the political parties with names like that or demonrat/democrap etc.  besides no one here is going to be told what to think or say by anyone else.  Welcome to NewsTalkers.  

pat wilson
Professor Participates
link   pat wilson  replied to  XXJefferson51   7 years ago

You must be new here. 

You're relatively new here yourself, take your own advice.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
link   seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  pat wilson   7 years ago

Who is relatively new here?  

pat wilson
Professor Participates
link   pat wilson  replied to  XXJefferson51   7 years ago

Why you ! Dear CornHusker for Palin/ XX Jefferson !

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
link   seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  pat wilson   7 years ago

If I'm new then we're not attracting many new members here.

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov  replied to  Anita Blackman   7 years ago

Don't worry. We don't tell rocks how to think either.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
link   seeder  XXJefferson51    7 years ago

Liberals are out of their comfort zone talking to people they disagree with.  They have to compensate for the inadequacy of their position by being arrogant, condescending, using personal put downs, and shouting down when exposed to contrary opinions and beliefs.  

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

The Pee Wee Herman rebuttal again comes out of Right (wing) field.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  A. Macarthur   7 years ago

Pee Wee Herman is head and shoulders above him.