╌>

Oklahoma lawmaker defends anti-abortion bill, says rape and incest are ‘will of God’

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  randy  •  7 years ago  •  8 comments

Oklahoma lawmaker defends anti-abortion bill, says rape and incest are ‘will of God’

okie.png

Oklahoma State Representative George Faught, the author of a controversial bill that would make it illegal in the state to pursue an abortion in the case of a genetic abnormality, made a powerful and potentially disturbing declaration of faith during questioning about the bill on the floor of the Oklahoma House on Tuesday. Asked by fellow state Representative Cory Williams about whether he considered rape to be the “will of God,” Faught boldly, if not necessarily unabashedly, answered in the affirmative.

“Well, you know, if you read the Bible, there’s actually a couple circumstances where that happened,” said Faught. “The Lord uses all circumstances. I mean, you can go down that path, but it’s a reality unfortunately.”

Williams then asked Faught whether he considered incest to be the “will of God” as well.

“Same answer,” said Faught. “Doesn’t deal with this bill.”

Williams countered by stating that Faught’s religious beliefs on the matter were important to his proposed anti-abortion bill, since the law as written would provide no exceptions to women in cases of rape or incest.

“You are proffering a divine intervention as the reason why you won’t do that and so I think it is very important,” said Williams. “This body wants to know — and myself personally — whether you believe rape and incest are actually the will of God.”

“You’re saying that God is not sovereign with every activity that happens in someone’s life and can’t use anything and everything in someone’s life,” responded Faught. “I disagree with that.”

Watch the full exchange below.

http://nytlive.nytimes.com/womenintheworld/2017/03/23/oklahoma-lawmaker-defends-anti-abortion-bill-says-rape-and-incest-are-will-of-god/

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   seeder  Randy    7 years ago

Go to the link and watch the video exchange. It's priceless!

Aeonpax
Freshman Silent
link   Aeonpax    7 years ago

Here we go again.......

`

`

`

2Pt1F.gif

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Aeonpax   7 years ago

Who knew rape could be so complicated?

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     7 years ago

And this nut was elected to public office....The low bar for brains is on display.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   seeder  Randy  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

And this nut was elected to public office....The low bar for brains is on display.

Oklahoma

deepwaterdon
Freshman Silent
link   deepwaterdon    7 years ago

Another case of a marginally intelligent person, being elected from a intelligence challenged electorate. Oh, from OK? Not surprised.

One of the dangers of reading the bible as anything more than a good source of history, a number of superstitions, and many outright lies to try to make, prove, and influence peoples beliefs in a certain religion. As is the Talmud, Koran, book of Buddha, etc.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah    7 years ago

Apparently, Oklahoma is full of hypocritical republicans.  Senator Ralph Shortey recently resigned over child prostitution solicitation charges (with a boy of course) ... after voting against a transgender bathroom bill.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   seeder  Randy    7 years ago

I lived in Oklahoma if you can call that living (rim-shot)) for 18 months in a small town half way between OK City and Amarillo, Texas on old Route 66 and there really are people who think like this. A lot of them in fact. It's like time has passed them by? Pregnancy via rape and incest is God's will? I mean what kind of mentality does that take? Now granted I am an atheist so I am sure that there are some people who will say I don't have the right to tell others how to believe and I really am not trying to do that.

What I am doing is trying to conceptualize worshiping a being that would will that a woman gets raped in order for her to get pregnant with a child or that a father can rape his 13 or 14 year old daughter and she gets pregnant and that it is all somehow part of some great plan of the being you worship? And then try to pass a law saying that even people who don't worship the same mythical being that you do have to follow? That, IMHO, takes a very special kind of religious obsession that falls under the description of a mental illness in the DSM-V