╌>

Netanyahu's honeymoon with Trump ends abruptly

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  community  •  7 years ago  •  11 comments

Netanyahu's honeymoon with Trump ends abruptly

Jerusalem (CNN) This was supposed to be Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's victory lap.

After a combined 10 years leading the government, he finally had a Republican president in the White House, with a Republican House and Senate to boot. It should have been the perfect match for Netanyahu's right-wing coalition.

The prime minister would be free of the condemnation of construction in West Bank and East Jerusalem settlements that became routine under former President Barack Obama, the right wing believed. President Donald Trump would allow Israel to build and build freely.

Within 10 days of Trump's inauguration, Israel approved plans for more than 6,000 housing units in settlements as well as the first brand-new settlement municipality in the West Bank in nearly two decades.

Heaping praise upon Trump at their first news conference together in Washington, Netanyahu said: "There is no greater supporter of the Jewish people and the Jewish state." Vice President Mike Pence is expected to also receive a warm reception when he addresses the American Israel Public Affairs Committee (AIPAC) at its large annual conference in Washington, which begins on Sunday.

And the settlement movement rejoiced at the new White House leadership.

"I think (Trump) loves Israel," said Chaim Silberstein, spokesman for the Beit El settlement outside of Ramallah. "I think he loves the biblical heartland of Israel, which is here." Some even spoke in messianic terms.

Education Minister Naftali Bennett, head of the right-wing Jewish Home party and one of the most outspoken Israeli opponents of a two-state solution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, declared after the elections, "The era of a Palestinian state is over."

But for Netanyahu, the honeymoon period lasted less than two months.

Trump quickly walked back his oft-repeated campaign promise to move the US Embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem, and he criticized Israeli settlements as "not good" for peace.

At their joint White House appearance, Trump told Netanyahu to "hold back on settlements for a bit." Trump wanted a chance to conclude what he called "the ultimate deal": peace between Israelis and Palestinians.

On Thursday, after two rounds of talks spanning the US and the Middle East, the White House put out a statement saying that the American delegation "reiterated President Trump's concerns regarding settlement activity in the context of moving towards a peace agreement," adding, "The Israeli delegation made clear that Israel's intent going forward is to adopt a policy regarding settlement activity that takes those concerns into consideration."

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
link   seeder  Larry Hampton    7 years ago

Trump negotiating ME peace.

flying pigs.png

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
link   seeder  Larry Hampton  replied to  Larry Hampton   7 years ago

...as well, if I were Bibi I wouldn't trust him any further than I could throw him.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  Larry Hampton   7 years ago

"I am shocked! Shocked to find that lying has been going on in here!"

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
link   Bob Nelson  replied to  Larry Hampton   7 years ago

...as well, if I were Bibi I wouldn't trust him any further than I could throw him.

If I were... anyone at all... I wouldn't trust him...

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     7 years ago

Bibi is getting a lesson in Trumpisms...Pissing on Bibi foot and telling him it's raining.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell    7 years ago

Every president is SUPPOSED to say they will bring peace to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. It is part of the job. 

Right wing Israeli hopes are built up now because Trump is anti-Muslim. That doesn't necessarily mean he actually gives a crap about Israel though. He seems to because that is his job. 

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent
link   1ofmany    7 years ago

After Trump wins, the first thing Israel does is declare the two-state solution dead and plan a larger settlement expansion. That however, is a recipe for conflict not peace. Even an ignoramus could see that so Trump expressed concern. I doubt there's any meaningful rift between Trump and Israel's braying jackass Netanyahu but, if there is, maybe Trump's not as stupid as I thought. 

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   PJ    7 years ago

Another pivot from Team Trump......