╌>

Los Angeles shelter gives disabled dogs a chance with a set of wheels

Category:  Pets & Animals

Via:  randy  •  7 years ago  •  17 comments

Los Angeles shelter gives disabled dogs a chance with a set of wheels

LOS ANGELES -- One little terrier in Southern California used to go by the name Cry Baby. It made sense given how much pain he had endured.

“He was hit by a car,” said Susan Fulcher. “His back was broken.”

d2-tracy-wheelchair-dogs-transfer.jpg

Presley, formerly known as Cry Baby

CBS News

d2-tracy-wheelchair-dogs-transfer4.jpg

Susan Fulcher

CBS News

His two hind legs were paralyzed and after surgery, his family no longer wanted him.

But Fulcher did. She gave him a new home and a new name: Presley. It is something Fulcher has done more than 25 times through her organization Dharma Rescue, reports CBS News correspondent Ben Tracy.

But this isn’t just about keeping the dogs alive; It’s about helping them really live.

“That’s what we do and we do it well,” she said.

d2-tracy-wheelchair-dogs-transfer2.jpg

Presley with his new wheels

CBS News

She fits each one of them with a custom doggie wheelchair. With just two working legs, they’re now on a roll.

“What kind of reaction do the dogs have when you put wheels on them?” Tracy asked.

“They immediately take off,” Fulcher replied.

“We only had one dog who had trouble, who sat there, and that would be Lovey Gaga, the one in the pink wheelchair.”

d2-tracy-wheelchair-dogs-transfer3.jpg

Lovey Gaga

CBS News

She’s a bit of a diva and probably doesn’t realize her idle wheels cost about $500. But to whom much is given, a little is expected.

After some training, these rescues have become therapy dogs. They visit schools to provide stress relief for kids with learning disabilities, behavioral problems and autism.

“It is terrific and magnificent that they have a purpose in life, after they are hurt. They get the love but they actually deserve it,” said Chloe, a student.

d2-tracy-wheelchair-dogs-transfer-5jpg.jpg

Students with one of the Dharma rescue dogs

CBS News

‘You have given them a second chance, do you enjoy seeing them give back to other people?” Tracy asked Fulcher.

“Oh yeah, absolutely,” she replied. “In this world right now we really need to think about giving more, caring more.”

And that despite limitations, we are capable of so much more.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/los-angeles-shelter-giving-disabled-dogs-a-chance-with-a-set-of-wheels/

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   seeder  Randy    7 years ago

Another good news story for a change. Hey, I'm trying! The one about the double amputee Marine becoming a cop didn't do anything, so maybe people will like this one.

Good people and good and lucky dogs!

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     7 years ago

Great story, these little guys are well worth the ''wheels''.....

Acting a therapy dogs is an added benefit.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   seeder  Randy    7 years ago

It's amazing to see them when they get their wheelchairs. If you watch the video on the link they just start trotting along like they have their back legs again. They are the perfect kind of therapy dogs because they show kids with special needs that they can overcome their problems also. And a special bravo to Susan Fulcher for the good work she is doing.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  Randy   7 years ago

I think this is so great!!!  I hope it spreads!

We love our doggies...

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   seeder  Randy  replied to  Dowser   7 years ago

What I didn't like was about the first dog, Presley, whose family didn't want him any longer because he was paralyzed. I'm trying not to be judgemental, but if that was the only reason then if he were my dog I would have kept him and bought a doggie wheelchair for him. You don't just give up on your dog unless you really have no choice, IMHO.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  Randy   7 years ago

Same here.

All of my animals are rescues, and several of them are disabled.  I had to let poor little Freddie go, when his back went out, but he was in such pain, and there was nothing I could do for him.  Tommy, my big dog, isn't disabled, just backwards.  He never got over being abandoned, so we have to be very careful about letting him know that no matter what, he's our baby.  You never give up on your pet, unless you have no choice, and then you love them as long as you can, and help them go easy.  They would do the same for you!  

Anita Blackman
Freshman Silent
link   Anita Blackman    7 years ago

They are so cute, I'd adopt injured animals but I a dozen cats, 8 dogs, two birds, a hamster and sugar glider.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  Anita Blackman   7 years ago

What's a sugar glider?  (Just curious...)

Anita Blackman
Freshman Silent
link   Anita Blackman  replied to  Dowser   7 years ago

It's a marsupial related to the Kangaroo.

d179cb16f2cf86021d0929b2eba5caf6.jpg

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

Oh my!  What cuties!!!  I want one...  winking

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Anita Blackman   7 years ago

I love sugar gliders. They don't make good pets though. 

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   7 years ago

Never heard of them!  Do they fly around a lot?  My cats would have a fit, as would the dogs-- best not to get one...  For it's sake!

Anita Blackman
Freshman Silent
link   Anita Blackman  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   7 years ago

I've had my glider for 11 years and it's been wonderful. I carry it with me everywhere I go in my bra.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

They are certainly cute!

Anita Blackman
Freshman Silent
link   Anita Blackman    7 years ago

I also was kicked out of the Cat adorers group with no explanation. I assume who ever runs the group likes to judge people by the cover too.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

I don't think so-- there have been some glitches with the group, I know.  Write Raven Wing and ask what's up.

Another thought, she may have just wanted to know you better before she let you in...  I'm sure it's not personal, or anything about your appearance.  Hell, I look like humpty dumpty!  winking

Good luck!