╌>

Church of England, PM Theresa May, lash out after ‘Easter’ dropped from annual egg hunt

Category:  World News

Via:  buzz-of-the-orient  •  7 years ago  •  7 comments

Church of England, PM Theresa May, lash out after ‘Easter’ dropped from annual egg hunt

By Susan Hogan, The Washington Post, Reported by National Post, April 5, 2017

egghunt1.png
"This marketing campaign . . . highlights the folly in airbrushing faith from Easter," said a statement from the Church of England. (easter.cadbury.co.uk)

A move in Britain to rebrand a national Easter Egg Hunt as simply an “egg hunt” to appeal to non-Christian children has drawn condemnation from the Church of England and Prime Minister Theresa May.

“This marketing campaign . . . highlights the folly in airbrushing faith from Easter,” said a statement from the Church of England sent to The Washington Post. A church spokeswoman told The Post that senior church leaders vehemently opposed the change.

Some 300,000 children are expected to attend this year’s hunt, held at 250 sites owned by the National Trust, a charity that promotes conservation. It partners with Cadbury, the maker of the chocolate eggs for the hunt.

“The National Trust is in no way downplaying the significance of Easter,” a spokesman told the Telegraph, placing the rebranding squarely on the shoulders of Cadbury, “who are responsible for the branding and wording of our egg hunt campaign.”

The prime minister, a member of the National Trust, decried the rebranding during a trip to Jordan. Last year’s event was dubbed the “Easter egg Trail.” This year’s event is simply the “Great British Egg Hunt” – sans Easter.

“I think what the National Trust is doing is frankly just ridiculous,” May told ITV News. “Easter’s very important. It’s important to me, it’s a very important festival for the Christian faith for millions across the world.”

Although the word “Easter” doesn’t appear in event ads, it’s prominent on Cadbury’s website, which beckons customers to “Enjoy Easter Fun” at the “egg hunt.”

“We invite people from all faiths and none to enjoy our seasonal treats,” Cadbury said in a statement.

Accounts vary as to how eggs became tied to Easter traditions. Some historians say the egg was considered a symbol of new life, a view dating back to ancient times and non-Christians. Others say the eggs symbolize Christian belief that Jesus was resurrected from his tomb, which is celebrated on Easter.

In addition, some Christians avoid dairy products, including eggs, during Lent, so they became a decorative focal point at Easter.

Archbishop John Sentamu of York said Cadbury’s rebranding effort insults the memory of the chocolate maker’s founder, John Cadbury, who was a Quaker.

“To drop Easter from Cadbury’s Easter Egg Hunt in my book is tantamount to spitting on the grave of Cadbury,” Sentamu said in a statement provided to The Post by the Church of England.

“He built houses for all his workers, he built a church, he made provision for schools,” Sentamu said. “It is obvious that for him Jesus and justice were two sides of the one coin.”

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Buzz of the Orient    7 years ago

Since I was a little kid I always thought the decorated eggs during that holiday were correctly known as "Easter eggs", and I never found it offensive even though I'm not a Christian.

Just another step in the direction of the creeping world Islamization.

Get used to saying "Merry Holiday" on December 25th so as not to offend.

Now sing along with me: "We wish you a Merry Hoiiday. We wish you a Merry Holiday. We wish you a Merry Holiday and a Happy New Year."

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

I agree that it's taking religion out of the egg hunt to a degree, though it does say Easter on their website, but to blame it on Muslims is a huge, huge leap.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Randy   7 years ago

Maybe you should take off those sunglasses and see what's happening in the world. Do you think the Atheists are behind it? How about the Jews? Why is this happening now, when there were no such "accommodations" in the past?

Randy
Sophomore Participates

Oh of course there have been such accommodations in the past. Like removing prayer from public schools.  No Nativity Scenes in public parks anymore. No more Christmas plays in public schools or Easter plays or celebrations. These and more have been happening since the 1950's.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Randy   7 years ago

Yes, Randy, you're right there have been accommodations to satisfy the requirement that religion NOT be a part of our life, which you, as an atheist, should appreciate.  I have to say it bothered me when a sculpture representing the ten commandments was removed from in front of a courthouse - I thought it represented Law, but so be it.  However, the concern I have is not so much that Judeo/Christian aspects are being removed from our life, but what the useful idiots are replacing it with.

Randy
Sophomore Participates

Well it's not just me as being an Atheist. My grandfather was a very devout Catholic and was also very hardcore on separation of church and state. He opposed prayer in public schools and the Pledge having "under God" in it and other things like that, because his opinion was that if you allow the mixing of church and state that it would leave a door open for the state to be able to tell Catholics (and other religions) how they have to worship and he hated the idea of the state getting even a toehold in his church. So even though I became an atheist after he had passed away, at least we would have that to agree on. Just from two different points of view. We also would have agreed that neither of us think that modern law was based in any manner at all on the Ten Commandments.

sixpick
Professor Quiet
link   sixpick  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

I agree.  "We don't have the power now, but we will".  responded a Muslim lady at school board meeting where the school board declined a request to give them a holiday the very next week.