╌>

Texas Teacher Gives ‘Most Likely To Become A Terrorist’ Award To 7th Grader

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  jwc2blue  •  7 years ago  •  13 comments

Texas Teacher Gives ‘Most Likely To Become A Terrorist’ Award To 7th Grader

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/most-likely-to-become-terrorist_us_5927ac8be4b06f60805363ad?ncid=inblnkushpmg00000009&ncid=inblnkushpmg00000009

A Texas middle school principal plans to launch an investigation after a 7th-grade student was named “most likely to become a terrorist” in a mock award ceremony

I was shocked ,” Lizeth Villanueva, a 13-year-old student at Anthony Aguirre Junior High in Houston, told Click2Houston. “[The teacher] said, ‘Most likely to become a terrorist,’ and she said my name, and she gave me this.”

Lizeth received the award in an advanced learning program that’s supposed to help kids prepare for college. The teacher, who was not named, told the students the award was supposed to be funny, but Lizeth’s not laughing. 

“It was not a joke,” Lizeth was quoted as saying. “I do not feel comfortable with this.”

Principal Eric Lathan  released an apology on Twitter for “ insensitive and offensive ” awards, saying they were distributed after the school’s real awards ceremony had concluded. 

“These award statements and ideals are not representative of the Aguirre vision, mission and educational goals for its students,” Lathan wrote. “An investigation will be launched into these events.”  

Lizeth’s mother told local CBS station KHOU that the principal apologized in person as well, but said she wants the teacher to face discipline. 

Get fired, at least , or something,” Ena Hernandez said.

“It doesn’t look good at all, especially coming from a teacher, a grown-up woman,” Hernandez said. “It doesn’t look good because everything that’s going on right now.”

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
link   Bob Nelson    7 years ago

People can be assholes, sometimes. But why does a person being an asshole qualify as "news"? 

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  Bob Nelson   7 years ago

It's news because this teacher was not just an asshole, but rather went into a very bad place of assholishness. She went into terrorism and that is just not funny. It goes beyond just being a garden variety asshole. There were a lot of things she could have been an asshole about that would not qualified this as a news story, but considering the recent terrorist attacks around the world, this is like making a shuttle explosion joke just after the Challenger disaster.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
link   Bob Nelson  replied to  Randy   7 years ago

this is like making a shuttle explosion joke just after the Challenger disaster

That joke would be in very bad taste... but would it be worthy of national news?

Isn't the media being a bit hysterical?

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  Bob Nelson   7 years ago

I don't think so, but we can agree to disagree as friends.

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   Krishna  replied to  Bob Nelson   7 years ago

That joke would be in very bad taste... but would it be worthy of national news?

Isn't the media being a bit hysterical?

A lot of news sites have a category of "Odd News"-- it would fit in well there. Some of the items in that category are very interesting (& yes-- many are very stupid as well). But seriously folks-- are they actually any more stupid than what often attempts to pass as serious discussion on NT -- heck a lot of that is not only stupid-- but more often than not its not even interesting either :-(

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah    7 years ago

I read the title and was like what?  It all made sense by the second word in the article though.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell    7 years ago

I am sure the teacher did mean it as a joke. No one could be stupid enough to do such a thing seriously. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   Krishna  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

I am sure the teacher did mean it as a joke. No one could be stupid enough to do such a thing seriously. 

Just curious-- how familiar are you with the type of people who staff many of our country's public schools?

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet
link   magnoliaave    7 years ago

Of course, it was a joke, but the problem is his peers will pick up on it and many will use this against him for a very long time.

If it had been my son, Mark, on the receiving end he would make the joke work for him.  He would laugh his self crazy and if it were used against him he would, probably, strike a fearsome pose and go for it.