╌>

NETANYAHU WINS HEADLINE SPAT WITH BBC OVER JERUSALEM STABBING

Category:  World News

Via:  community  •  7 years ago  •  8 comments

BY JOY BERNARD, Jerusalem Post, JUNE 17, 2017

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu demanded that the BBC change the headline it used to describe Friday's lethal attack. The MFA also bashed the channel for 'biased' coverage.

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu ordered the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to reproach the BBC after the British news channel released what the premier deemed to be a biased report describing Friday's terror attack, which resulted in the death of a 23-year-old border policewoman.

The original report was titled: "Three Palestinians killed after deadly stabbing in Jerusalem," a headline that omitted the fact that the three perpetrators, who operated in two different scenes, were neutralized after they attempted to assault Israeli policemen and killed Staff Sgt. Maj. Hadas Malka.

A female officer was stabbed to death in Jerusalem. To the BBC she is irrelevant because she is Israeli. BBC mourns ISIS terrorists’ death pic.twitter.com/jSBVMvlRMP
— Behind The News (@Behind__News) June 17, 2017

Another notable figure who criticized the BBC for its misleading headline was US President Donald Trump's son, Donald Trump Jr., who took to Twitter himself to lambast the station for the article they published. "You mean after they stabbed a female Israeli police officer to death... right? This is as close to being misleading as possible," he charged.

You mean after they stabbed a female Israeli police officer to death... right? This is as close to being misleading as possible. https://t.co/EWZPHiRemU
— Donald Trump Jr. (@DonaldJTrumpJr) June 17, 2017

Netanyahu had reportedly requested that Yuval Rotem, the Director General of the MFA, as well as the Israeli Embassy in London, both act to have the BBC acknowledge that the headline misrepresented the details of the attack and change it.

According to the MFA, prompted by the ministry's request, the BBC has since changed the headline of the article.

The current headline now reads: "Israeli policewoman stabbed to death in Jerusalem."

The tweet that the media outlet published on its official handle and which linked to the article with its previous headline has since been removed.

BBC released a statement, saying: "We accept that our original headline did not appropriately reflect the nature of the events and subsequently changed it. Whilst there was no intention to mislead our audiences, we regret any offense caused."

This is not the first time Israel lashes out at the BBC for what it says is a biased coverage of the conflict.

Last year, the head of Israel's Government Press Office issued a warning to the BBC in reaction to the station's coverage of a different Jerusalem terror attack that claimed the lives of two Israelis. The headline the BBC used to describe the attack was "Palestinian shot dead after Jerusalem attack kills two." The channel later changed its headline to: "Jerusalem: Palestinian kills two Israelis in Old City."

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Buzz of the Orient    7 years ago

The BBC has been awarded Honest Reporting's prize as most biased news medium more times than any other news medium, even the New York Times, which has won it almost as many times.

When the "respected" mainstream media consistently misleads the public in this way it is no wonder anti-Semitism is increasing world wide.

I have noted that The Toronto Star lately seems to be trying to capture that award for itself.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Buzz of the Orient    7 years ago

Bias is inevitable when the media are biased.

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov    7 years ago

"Whilst there was no intention to mislead our audiences..."

Bullshit. It was antisemitism in their staff.

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   PJ    7 years ago

Perhaps it was a simple oversight or just a mistake.....you know, like Ivanka Trump's claim about Judaism.  I'm sure you can over look this one too, right?

My point is that you seem to have very strict lines when it comes to Israel and Judaism unless it's Trump and his clan.  

Of course it's your prerogative.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  PJ   7 years ago

Oversights and mistakes from as professional a medium as the BBC should be once in a blue moon. However, it is not just me that considers the BBC to be ultra-biased, because its anti-Israel bias is a regular occurance, and I am not the only one who thinks so.

I guess you missed the article I posted that called Trump a coward.

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   PJ  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

Yes, I missed that article but then again it's 5 o'clock somewhere.

Buzz - I'm not saying I disagree with you regarding BBC but I don't accept that what they report and have to say is more important and should be held to a higher standard than what an Official Adviser to the President of the United States is held to.  I'm not trying to derail your article so I'll leave it at that.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  PJ   7 years ago

Other than the fact that Trump Jr tweeted a criticism to the BBC, what does Trump have to do with the gist of the article? It's about BBC bias and it's getting caught for it and correcting it.

This is the article you missed:

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   PJ  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

Since I've already addressed your question in my earlier post I won't repeat myself.