╌>

White House uncertainty over fresh Russia sanctions

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  randy  •  7 years ago  •  4 comments

White House uncertainty over fresh Russia sanctions

putintrump.jpg Donald Trump and Russian President Vladimir Putin recently held talks at the G20 summit in Germany

White House officials have given differing messages after US Congress agreed on legislation allowing fresh sanctions against Russia.

The laws would also curb President Donald Trump's ability to lift any sanctions. He has resisted the move.

The new White House communications director said the president was yet to decide whether to sign the bill.

But the Trump administration's press secretary says the White House supports the legislation.

The bill is intended as punishment for alleged Russian meddling in the US election.

Mr Trump's presidency has been dogged by allegations of collusion with Russia during the campaign. Russia has denied interfering and Mr Trump says there was no collusion.

Republican and Democrat leaders reached agreement on the legislation on Saturday, in what is seen as a sign of determination in Congress to maintain a firm line against Russia, whatever Mr Trump's view.

He has argued he needs leeway against Russia and his officials have been lobbying against the bill, which effectively stifles his ability to conduct foreign policy.

The bill also covers the possibility of further sanctions against Iran and North Korea. It has already passed the Senate and the House is due to vote on it on Tuesday.

The White House's newly appointed communications director , Anthony Scaramucci, told CNN he did not know the president's view.

"It's my second or third day on the job. My guess is he's going to make that decision shortly," he said. "He hasn't made the decision yet to sign that bill one way or the other."

Dilemma for Trump

But Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders gave a different account.

"The administration is supportive of being tough on Russia, particularly in putting these sanctions in place," she said.

"The original piece of legislation was poorly written but we were able to work with House and Senate and the administration is happy with the ability to do that and make those changes that were necessary and we support where the legislation is now."

The president could veto the bill, but in doing so would fuel suspicion that he is too supportive of the Kremlin, correspondents say.

On the other hand, if he signs it he would be imposing legislation that his administration has opposed.

The US already has a raft of sanctions in place against Russian individuals and companies over Crimea. In December, following claims of election hacking, then President Barack Obama also expelled 35 diplomats and closed two Russian compounds in the US.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-40699751

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   seeder  Randy    7 years ago

For a real American President (and I don't believe he is) this would be an easy decision. Why is it so hard for Trump? Putin is our enemy, not our friend. Why can't he get that? If he doesn't sign the Bill of Sanctions, then everyone will know he is Putin's lapdog. If he does sign the Bill, then he will make his boss angry.

This should be so easy! Sign the damned Bill! Or admit you are in Putin's pocket forever!

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   seeder  Randy    7 years ago

What? No bets on if he's going to sign it or not?

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
link   Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom    7 years ago

I'm not sure that sanctions matter any more.  Exxon Mobil had no problem circumventing the 2014 sanctions to continue their part in the production of the Sakhalin oil reserves.   The $2 million fine they paid was akin to being sent to bed without dessert. 

I'm so sick of it, Randy.  The political decay under the current administration continues without abatement, and I don't think there is anything we can do about it.  And on a somewhat related note:  Of all the languages I would have liked to have learned in my life, I've never considered Russian to be one of them. 

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   seeder  Randy  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom   7 years ago

You sound like my wife. She feels the same way. She's so sick and depressed about this runaway Russian administration being run out of the White House by three separate, but intertwined crime families. The Trumps, the Kushners and the Russian mob represented by Vladimir Putin. She's right.

Let's no longer sugar coat what is happening to our country. If the honest and patriotic Republicans don't start standing up, objecting and fighting, then we are running headlong toward becoming completely controlled by those three families and our Democratic American Government will be a meaningless joke. If the current refusal to face the truth remains in the halls of Congress among the GOP, then all is lost. Our nation is lost. We are lost.

We are on the Titanic, have already hit the iceberg and yet the GOP controlled Congress insists on just rearranging the deck chairs. While the rest of us can only helplessly watch the ship tilt and the water rise.