╌>

FINALLY: Senator Demands Zuckerberg Fire Staffer Who Let Obama Campaign Steal User Data

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  sixpick  •  6 years ago  •  27 comments

FINALLY: Senator Demands Zuckerberg Fire Staffer Who Let Obama Campaign Steal User Data

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg was grilled by the Senate Tuesday for allowing Cambridge Analytica, a data company that worked for Donald Trump’s campaign in 2016, to harvest user data from his platform.

However, little was made of the fact that the Obama presidential campaign in 2012 used the same tactic with the social network. F ormer Obama campaign staffers have openly bragged about how Facebook turned a blind eye to the practice and even congratulated them. (RELATED: Obama Staffer: Facebook Knew Presidential Campaign Improperly Seized Data, Looked the Other Way)

Republican North Carolina Sen. Thom Tillis raised this discrepancy in his forceful questioning of Zuckerberg on Tuesday.

Tillis said, “ I think that we need to fully examine what Cambridge Analytica did,” before noting a number of articles cataloging the Obama campaign for doing the same.

“Somebody asked you earlier if it made you mad about what Cambridge Analytica did,” Tillis noted, saying Zuck should be “equally mad” about the Obama campaign.

“When you do your research on Cambridge Analytica, I would appreciate it if you would start back from the first high-profile national campaign that exploited Facebook data,” the senator  said. 

Facebook has been silent on the Obama campaign scraping for data.

Tillis ended his remarks by calling for the Facebook staffers who allowed the Obama campaign to harvest data to be fired. 

“I also believe that that person who may have looked the other way when the whole social graph was extracted for the Obama campaign, if they are still working for you, they probably should not. At least there should be a business code of conduct that says that you do not play favorites. You are trying to create a fair place for people to share ideas.”

http://dailycaller.com/2018/04/10/thom-tillis-zuckerberg-user-data-obama-campaign/

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

sixpick
Professor Quiet
1  seeder  sixpick    6 years ago

Crime of the century or 'cool'!!!!

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
1.1  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  sixpick @1    6 years ago

A case of "But Obama!!!!", is all this is.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.1.1  Greg Jones  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @1.1    6 years ago
A case of "But Obama!!!!", is all this is.

Of course, that's what it needs to be. You just don't want people to remember all the bad stuff Obama got away with....so far.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.2  Ozzwald  replied to  sixpick @1    6 years ago

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.2.1  Greg Jones  replied to  Ozzwald @1.2    6 years ago

They also have guests that have opposing viewpoints. Can't say that for the left wing channels.

sixpick
Professor Quiet
1.2.2  seeder  sixpick  replied to  Ozzwald @1.2    6 years ago

I don't think this article has anything to do with Fox News.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.2.3  Ozzwald  replied to  Greg Jones @1.2.1    6 years ago
They also have guests that have opposing viewpoints. Can't say that for the left wing channels.

You may not be able to say it, but everyone else who has ever watched it can.  

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
2  Dismayed Patriot    6 years ago

The Obama campaign openly marketed using Facebook and asked for supporters to submit their data willingly. They built  a sophisticated and highly interactive platform that gives supporters a blueprint for organizing, and communicating with each other and the campaign called the "Dashboard". It allowed the campaign to micro-target a range of dollar solicitations.

This was very different from what Robert Mercer did in 2014 where his company Cambridge Analytica asked users to take a personality survey and download an app, which scraped some private information from their profiles and those of their friends , activity that Facebook permitted at the time and has since banned. Those who participated in the survey — had consented to having their data harvested, though they were all told that it was being used for academic use Facebook prohibits this kind of data to be sold or transferred “to any ad network, data broker or other advertising or monetization-related service.” It says that was exactly what Dr. Kogan did, in providing the information to a political consulting firm.  Cambridge also received warnings from its own lawyer, Laurence Levy, as it employed European and Canadian citizens on campaigns, potentially violating American election law .

The Times reported that people at Cambridge Analytica and its  British affiliate, the SCL Group,  were in contact with executives from Lukoil, the Kremlin-linked oil giant, as Cambridge built its Facebook-derived profiles.  Lukoil  was interested in the ways data was used to target American voters, according to two former company insiders.

The Times also reported that Cambridge suspended its chief executive, Alexander Nix, after a British television channel released an undercover video in which he suggested that the company had used seduction and bribery to entrap politicians and influence foreign elections .

Anyone comparing the two can immediately see the huge difference in both how they went about gathering user data and how Robert Mercer weaponized it as well as illegally sold data to foreign governments which.

sixpick
Professor Quiet
2.1  seeder  sixpick  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @2    6 years ago

There's nothing new about Politico and the NYT always giving Democrats a pass on anything and there's nothing different in this case.

Facebook turned a blind eye to the data mining of the Obama Campaign.  The same thing the Trump Campaign paid for, Facebook allowed the Obama Campaign to have for free.  The fact is it was OK when the Obama Campaign did it for free, but it is the 'Crime of the Century' when the Trump Campaign did it.  After Facebook found out they continued to let the Obama Campaign harvest information from Facebook.

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
2.1.1  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  sixpick @2.1    6 years ago
there's nothing different in this case.

So lying to people about why you want them to take a survey and then harvesting those on their friends list is "the same" as the Obama campaign asking people to sign up on their Facebook page and asking them to authorize some use of their profiles?

Nothing that the Obama campaign did in 2012 has been banned by Facebook. What Cambridge Analytica did, asking users to take a personality survey and download an app, which scraped some private information from their profiles and those of their friends, is an activity that Facebook has since banned.

sixpick
Professor Quiet
2.1.2  seeder  sixpick  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @2.1.1    6 years ago

You can hear it right from Carol Davidsen's own mouth in the OAN video above.

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
2.1.3  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  sixpick @2.1.2    6 years ago
You can hear it right from Carol Davidsen's own mouth in the OAN video above.

Nothing in her tweets contradicts what I said. The only minor revelation was that some Facebook employees were on the side of sense, reason and logic.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2.1.4  Greg Jones  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @2.1.1    6 years ago
scraped some private information from their profiles and those of their friends, is an activity that Facebook has since banned.

Which was done without their knowledge or permission.

sixpick
Professor Quiet
2.1.5  seeder  sixpick  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @2.1.3    6 years ago

Listen to the video from OAN above, like I said in my previous comment. 

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
3  bbl-1    6 years ago

Uh, no offense to anyone, but in 2012 the Russians weren't involved in Cambridge Analytica.   In that time period, the Russians were putting 'their' finishing touches on Trump.

sixpick
Professor Quiet
3.1  seeder  sixpick  replied to  bbl-1 @3    6 years ago

I don't think they were putting their finishing touches on Trump at all.  Trump was elected because he wasn't Hillary and he was an outsider.  Also, he campaigned a whole lot more than Hillary, who spent quite a bit of her time having campaign events at super rich people's homes, like the Rothchilds and not with the American Citizens. 

The Democrats were convinced Hillary had it in the bag, so Obama being the President and knowing that the Russians had been meddling in elections for decades and was completely aware of the meddling during 2016 didn't do anything, because he was convinced just as much as anyone else.  Why shouldn't he have been convinced, the propaganda, just like it is now for the 2018 elections was rampant with the NYT giving Hillary a 93% chance of winning the day of the election.

If she had won, the Russian meddling, like the Obama meddling in Israel, would have been swept under the rug, but very late in the campaign, too late, they realized there was a fire in the country to change the direction we were heading, since only a little above 20% of the polls for most of 2016 thought we were heading the right direction.

They may not think we are heading in the right direction now and I tend to agree with them, but having Hillary as President was already out of the question for enough American Citizens to see she didn't win.

If anyone can show me proof they changed their vote because of the Russians, I may have a different opinion, but I don't know a single soul and I don't think anyone here knows a single soul who changed their vote, except the main thing I think that could have made a difference is when Hillary called half the country 'Deplorables' and so on.  That, in itself, would be the closest thing I think that could have changed a few votes.

Trump didn't cheat any of the other Republican candidates.  He beat them fair and square, rather unorthodox, but they including the entire Republican Party were against him.  The only people he had were the American Citizens who knew they didn't want to continue down that road to Utopia any longer.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
3.1.1  bbl-1  replied to  sixpick @3.1    6 years ago

bs

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
3.1.2  Skrekk  replied to  bbl-1 @3.1.1    6 years ago

I suspect the Russians have owned Trump since the mid-1990s when they helped bail him out after his numerous bankruptcies.

sixpick
Professor Quiet
3.1.3  seeder  sixpick  replied to  bbl-1 @3.1.1    6 years ago

Everything I said is fact.  Do you know anyone who changed their vote?  I'd be willing to bet you don't and I don't know anyone either.  Trump and Hillary were polar opposites.  He had tremendous energy and she could barely walk by herself. 

She got caught up early in the campaign with the email scandal, but was exonerated before Comey even interviewed her.  Lied about everything concerning it, refused to turn over the hard drive initially, called half the country deplorables,  You think anyone would want someone who was highly suspected of 'Pay for Play' and becoming a multimillionaire while in office and afterwards due to having a foundation to hide the real intent of the donations from all those foreign countries?

How's The Clinton Foundation doing today since she doesn't have anything to offer?  No questions asked by the MSM, the same with Obama.  People were tired of it.  She lost because of herself, not Trump or the Russians. 

sixpick
Professor Quiet
3.1.4  seeder  sixpick  replied to  Skrekk @3.1.2    6 years ago

I suspect you're wrong too.  If anyone was owned by the Russians it was Hillary and Bill, since she and Mueller played a part in giving them 20% of our Uranium.  Their objective was to disrupt the election, kind of like I did on a much smaller scale by voting for Hillary in the Primary against Obama, being a Democrat and all.  Even though she didn't have a chance, I put my two cents in to disrupt the election.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
3.1.5  Skrekk  replied to  sixpick @3.1.4    6 years ago
If anyone was owned by the Russians it was Hillary and Bill, since she and Mueller played a part in giving them 20% of our Uranium.

LOL

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
3.1.6  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  sixpick @3.1.4    6 years ago
If anyone was owned by the Russians it was Hillary and Bill, since she and Mueller played a part in giving them 20% of our Uranium.

You might want to check something called the FACTS on this.

Explorerdog
Freshman Silent
3.1.7  Explorerdog  replied to  sixpick @3.1.3    6 years ago

So you can attest that propaganda simply does not serve its intended purpose and is therefore a waste of time. Skirting the CoC [ph]

sixpick
Professor Quiet
3.1.8  seeder  sixpick  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @3.1.6    6 years ago

Sorry but I don't verify facts with The Washington Post.

The fact is in the video above from Carol Davidsen.  You have to pay attention.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4  Buzz of the Orient    6 years ago

In my opinion, Mark Zuckerberg is one of the most dangerous persons in the world today. He is in a position to influence the minds of more people than any other person, corporation, government or leader. The only thing I respect him for is that he married a Chinese woman.

There are 2.2 billion active Facebook users as of the 4th quarter of 2017.

Ender
Professor Principal
4.1  Ender  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4    6 years ago

I actually agree with you. He is a known cheat and liar. He even lies when he proclaims that he invented facebook. He stole it from his fellow students. They sued him and won although he retained rights.

I will never have a page on his book.

sixpick
Professor Quiet
5  seeder  sixpick    6 years ago

Every site seems to harvest data.  If you check out the scripts running on them and on your phones as well.  Facebook is the site with the most data.  Carol Davidsen of the Obama campaign said they were able to ingest the entire social media of Facebook.  

Facebook confronted them with it, let them continue and told them it was because they were on their side.