╌>

CBS: Punishment doled out after officer takes oath with hand puppet

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  tfargo  •  6 years ago  •  16 comments

CBS: Punishment doled out after officer takes oath with hand puppet

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tennessee-air-national-guard-officer-takes-oath-hand-puppet/

A Tennessee Air National Guard colonel and a senior noncommissioned officer were removed from their positions after a  video  posted online depicted a re-enlistment ceremony involving a dinosaur hand puppet,  the Air Force Times reports . The colonel, who administered the ceremony in which the senior noncommissioned officer wears the puppet on her right hand while taking an oath, was demoted to the rank of lieutenant colonel and retired. The woman who took the oath with the puppet was removed from her full-time position with the Tennessee Joint Public Affairs Office.

Army Maj. Gen. Terry Haston, adjutant general for the Tennessee National Guard, said in a Facebook post Wednesday he was "certainly aware of a recent Facebook video post depicting a Tennessee Air National Guard Senior NCO re-enlistment" and was "absolutely embarrassed that a senior officer and a senior NCO took such liberties with a time-honored military tradition."

"The Tennessee National Guard holds the Oath of Enlistment in the highest esteem because that oath signifies every service member's commitment to defend our state, nation and the freedoms we all enjoy," Haston said. "Not taking this oath solemnly and with the utmost respect is firmly against the traditions and sanctity of our military family and will not be tolerated."

more

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

T.Fargo
Freshman Silent
1  seeder  T.Fargo    6 years ago

A Tennessee Air National Guard colonel and a senior noncommissioned officer were removed from their positions after a video posted online depicted a re-enlistment ceremony involving a dinosaur hand puppet

AS THEY SHOULD BE!  The uniform isn't a gag and a gag doesn't belong in uniform.  That was fu--ing stupid!

evilone
Professor Guide
1.1  evilone  replied to  T.Fargo @1    6 years ago
That was fu--ing stupid!

I saw much worse in my day. They didn't have smart phones and facebook back then though.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3  Kavika     6 years ago

That was really stupid on their part. 

One of those ''what the f...k were they thinking'' moments.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
4  Jasper2529    6 years ago

Disgraceful behavior from both of them.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
5  Freefaller    6 years ago

While I agree with everybody else that this is at the very least disrespectful my biggest question is why oh why do people allow video's to be made of themselves doing really, really stupid shit?

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
5.1  Spikegary  replied to  Freefaller @5    6 years ago

Especially since she worked in the Wing Public Affairs Office-the folks who determine waht is releaseable to the public, etc., etc.

Glad the AG took action. 

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
5.2  Jasper2529  replied to  Freefaller @5    6 years ago
my biggest question is why oh why do people allow video's to be made of themselves doing really, really stupid shit?

How do you spell S-T-U-P-I-D? Oh wait ... I just did (and so did you!).

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
5.2.1  Freefaller  replied to  Jasper2529 @5.2    6 years ago

Lol you would think so but the guy is a Colonel and ya don't reach that rank if you're normally a stupid person.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6  JohnRussell    6 years ago

They probably hoped to go viral on You Tube. 

People outsmart themselves in their rush to get noticed in today's throwaway pop culture. 

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
7  Jeremy Retired in NC    6 years ago

Army Maj. Gen. Terry Haston needs to get out of his office more.  A puppet is the mildest I've seen.  Having the Re-enlistment somewhere or doing something memorable is tradition.  I would think that a 2 Star General would understand that.  

At any rate, I wonder what the Major General Stick In The Ass would say about

Stormtrooper Re-enlistment

Image result for army reenlistment humor      

Under water Re-enlistment

Paratrooper Re-enlistment

Gas Chamber Re-enlistment

Free Fall Re-enlistment

My favorite (because I see the humor in it) Gun Point Re-enlistment

Image result for Gun point army reenlistment humor

epistte
Junior Guide
7.1  epistte  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @7    6 years ago

I agree. This was pretty mild.  It isn't like they didn't take the oath seriously. 

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
7.1.1  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  epistte @7.1    6 years ago
It isn't like they didn't take the oath seriously.

I'm sure you've even seen some funny and weird places and ways to re-enlist.  While I was with the 82d, re-enlisting on the plane just before a jump is pretty frequent.  Best way to get the # 1 Jumper slot.

epistte
Junior Guide
7.1.2  epistte  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @7.1.1    6 years ago

I've seen photographs and heard various stories from family members and relatives.  My sister and brother in law re-enlisted on the flight line.