╌>

A little history for those who don't remember it

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  galen-marvin-ross  •  6 years ago  •  71 comments

A little history for those who don't remember it

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

A Brief Chronology of Watergate
November 1968: Richard Milhous Nixon, the 55-year-old former vice president who lost the presidency for the Republicans in 1960, reclaims it by defeating Hubert Humphrey in one of the closest elections in U.S. history.
July 23, 1970: Nixon approves a plan for greatly expanding domestic intelligence-gathering by the FBI, CIA and other agencies. He has second thoughts a few days later and rescinds his approval.
June 13, 1971: The New York Times begins publishing the Pentagon Papers – the Defense Department’s secret history of the Vietnam War. The Washington Post will begin publishing the papers later in the week.

September 9, 1971: The White House “plumbers” unit – named for their orders to plug leaks in the administration – burglarizes a psychiatrist’s office to find files on Daniel Ellsberg, the former defense analyst who leaked the Pentagon Papers. 

June 17, 1972: Five men, one of whom says he used to work for the CIA, are arrested at 2:30 a.m. trying to bug the offices of the Democratic National Committee at the Watergate hotel and office complex. Kind of makes me think of a certain meeting that took place in a certain tower.

June 19, 1972: A GOP security aide is among the Watergate burglars, The Washington Post reports. Former attorney general John Mitchell, head of the Nixon reelection campaign, denies any link to the operation. Again reminds me of a certain tower meeting.

August 1, 1972: A $25,000 cashier’s check, apparently earmarked for the Nixon campaign, wound up in the bank account of a Watergate burglar, The Washington Post reports. Can anyone say Stormy Daniels and, McDougall?

September 29, 1972: John Mitchell, while serving as attorney general, controlled a secret Republican fund used to finance widespread intelligence-gathering operations against the Democrats, The Post reports. Hmmm, reminds me of the funds that Cohen is said to have been in charge of and, Manaforts role in the whole thing.

October 10, 1972: FBI agents establish that the Watergate break-in stems from a massive campaign of political spying and sabotage conducted on behalf of the Nixon reelection effort, The Post reports. Remind anyone of something the Russians were doing around June of 2016?

November 11, 1972: Nixon is reelected in one of the largest landslides in American political history, taking more than 60 percent of the vote and crushing the Democratic nominee, Sen. George McGovern of South Dakota.

January 30, 1973: Former Nixon aides G. Gordon Liddy and James W. McCord Jr. are convicted of conspiracy, burglary and wiretapping in the Watergate incident. Five other men plead guilty, but mysteries remain. Sounds like a few people in the Trump campaign, Gates, Manafort and, Flynn.

April 30, 1973: Nixon’s top White House staffers, H.R. Haldeman and John Ehrlichman, and Attorney General Richard Kleindienst resign over the scandal. White House counsel John Dean is fired. How many people has Trump fired or, have resigned since the campaign?

May 18, 1973: The Senate Watergate committee begins its nationally televised hearings. Attorney General-designate Elliot Richardson taps former solicitor general Archibald Cox as the Justice Department’s special prosecutor for Watergate. Ok, we started a little earlier than these guys did but, we can see a connection here to what is going on now.

June 3, 1973: John Dean has told Watergate investigators that he discussed the Watergate cover-up with President Nixon at least 35 times, The Post reports. I wonder who the mouth piece is that is informing Trump, I bet until recently it was Cohen.

June 13, 1973: Watergate prosecutors find a memo addressed to John Ehrlichman describing in detail the plans to burglarize the office of Pentagon Papers defendant Daniel Ellsberg’s psychiatrist, The Post reports.

July 13, 1973: Alexander Butterfield, former presidential appointments secretary, reveals in congressional testimony that since 1971 Nixon had recorded all conversations and telephone calls in his offices. Can anyone say Michael Cohen?

July 18, 1973: Nixon reportedly orders the White House taping system disconnected. Trump missed this step.

July 23, 1973: Nixon refuses to turn over the presidential tape recordings to the Senate Watergate committee or the special prosecutor. Trump wanted all of Cohen's tapes locked away as "attorney client privilege", most of the things are connected to that rule, I think the folks in charge of that information have said that only .0001% of 1% is covered under that rule.

October 20, 1973: Saturday Night Massacre: Nixon fires Archibald Cox and abolishes the office of the special prosecutor. Attorney General Richardson and Deputy Attorney General William D. Ruckelshaus resign. Pressure for impeachment mounts in Congress. We're seeing this in slow motion with the help of the Congress, first Comey, then McCabe, now Rosenstein.

November 17, 1973: Nixon declares, “I’m not a crook,” maintaining his innocence in the Watergate case. Well, thanks to twitter we hear this from Trump all day long every day and, twice as often on the weekends.

December 7, 1973: The White House can’t explain an 18 1/2 -minute gap in one of the subpoenaed tapes. Chief of staff Alexander Haig says one theory is that “some sinister force” erased the segment. Yep, disappearing evidence, I wonder if that has happened in the Trump situation yet, oh yeah, the Trump/Putin meeting.

April 30, 1974: The White House releases more than 1,200 pages of edited transcripts of the Nixon tapes to the House Judiciary Committee, but the committee insists that the tapes themselves must be turned over. Too bad the House is this time helping Trump cover shit up.

July 24, 1974: The Supreme Court rules unanimously that Nixon must turn over the tape recordings of 64 White House conversations, rejecting the president’s claims of executive privilege. Oooops, this can be used against the Trump White House.

July 27, 1974: House Judiciary Committee passes the first of three articles of impeachment, charging obstruction of justice.

August 8, 1974: Richard Nixon becomes the first U.S. president to resign. Vice President Gerald R. Ford assumes the country’s highest office. He will later pardon Nixon of all charges related to the Watergate case.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
1  seeder  Galen Marvin Ross    6 years ago

I'm not saying that Trump is guilty but, an innocent person doesn't try to cover up or, destroy an investigation. Everyone that says they want this investigation over forgets that such investigations take a while, especially when you have everyone, including Congress trying to end is and, get in the way of it. The Watergate investigation took from 1968 to 1974 to complete and, a large part of that time it was the Washington Post and, not the government that was investigating it, the government didn't get involved until most of the connections were already made, Mueller has been working on this for almost two years, I think we can wait a little longer.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
1.1  Sean Treacy  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @1    6 years ago

deleted

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
1.1.1  arkpdx  replied to  Sean Treacy @1.1    6 years ago

deleted

MrFrost
Professor Guide
1.1.2  MrFrost  replied to  Sean Treacy @1.1    6 years ago
Was that before or after the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? 

Burn your history book, NOW. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
1.1.3  Sean Treacy  replied to  MrFrost @1.1.2    6 years ago

By all means, give me one of those "history" books where investigations start years before a crime was committed. 

But I guess it's "off topic" to point out a topic called "a little history for those who don't remember it" massively bungles a basic fact about that topic.  

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
1.1.4  seeder  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Sean Treacy @1.1.3    6 years ago
By all means, give me one of those "history" books where investigations start years before a crime was committed.  But I guess it's "off topic" to point out a topic called "a little history for those who don't remember it" massively bungles a basic fact about that topic. 

Everything that happened during the time of Watergate was connected, the Pentagon Papers was the start of everything, the reason that they are important is because, they covered a series of events in Vietnam.

Here's a little of it,

The Pentagon Papers was the name given to a top-secret Department of Defense study of U.S. political and military involvement in Vietnam from 1945 to 1967. As the Vietnam War dragged on, with more than 500,000 U.S. troops in Vietnam by 1968, military analyst Daniel Ellsberg—who had worked on the study—came to oppose the war, and decided that the information contained in the Pentagon Papers should be available to the American public. He photocopied the report and in March 1971 gave the copy to The New York Times, which then published a series of scathing articles based on the report’s most damning secrets.

The break in at Daniel Ellsbergs house was an effort by the Nixon administration to cover up any other information that Ellsberg had or, may have had laying around. The "Plumbers" were a group of White House break in artists who were "hired" to break into Ellsbergs offices and, home. That was in 1971, in 1972 the Watergate burglary happened, as I've said it has all been proven to be connected and, Nixon knew about it all. The Post started reporting on all of this at this time and, continued to report on it until Nixon resigned in 1974. That is history, you should try learning it.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
1.1.5  Skrekk  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @1.1.4    6 years ago

The one big difference between then and now is that Nixon's conspiracy hacked into the DNC without the help of the Soviets.    So at least Nixon wasn't a traitor.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
1.1.6  Sean Treacy  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @1.1.4    6 years ago
The Watergate investigation took from 1968 to 1974 to complete and, a large part of that time it was the Washington Post and, not the governme

You cannot murder the English language enough for that to make sense. The break in happened in 1972. To say the investigation took place in 1968 makes as much sense as saying the investigation took  place in 1776 or 1620 or  44BC. 

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
1.1.7  seeder  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Sean Treacy @1.1.6    6 years ago
You cannot murder the English language enough for that to make sense. The break in happened in 1972. To say the investigation took place in 1968 makes as much sense as saying the investigation took  place in 1776 or 1620 or  44BC. 

Sean, everything involved in Watergate, which is the name that was given to the investigation simply because it was the expedient thing to do, started in 1968 with the break in of Ellsburgs home and, office, please try to pay attention in this history class, the break in at the Watergate Plaza was into the Democratic HQ not Ellsburgs office or, home so, that break in happened in 1972, however, both break ins were linked, they were done under Nixon's instructions and, the Watergate investigation looked into both of those as being linked, the investigation may not have begun until 1972 but, they were linked, just as I think we will see that there are things linked in this case that happened before the election.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
1.1.8  Sean Treacy  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @1.1.7    6 years ago

arted in 1968 with the break in of Ellsburgs home and, office, please try to pay attention in this history class

Can you even you understand your own link? Try again. 

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
1.1.9  seeder  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Sean Treacy @1.1.8    6 years ago
Can you even you understand your own link? Try again. 

I can't understand what you said here, talking about murdering the English language.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
1.1.10  Sean Treacy  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @1.1.9    6 years ago

I can't understand what you said here,

If you understood your own link, you'd know the Ellsberg break in didn't occur in 1968. 

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
1.1.11  seeder  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Sean Treacy @1.1.10    6 years ago
If you understood your own link, you'd know the Ellsberg break in didn't occur in 1968.

No, the election of Nixon happened in '68, I know, I was a little off on that one, however, Ellsburgs home and, office were burgled in 1970 at the request of the White House, now tell me, who was president then, wasn't that Nixon? and, Watergate, according to you and, my seed happened in 1972 so, according to you we should just ignore everything that happened before the Watergate break in, yet, they are tied together.

In the case of the Russia investigation I think we will find that there are many things that are tied together going back farther than the election itself, maybe even all the way back to 1987.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.3  JohnRussell  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @1    6 years ago

Trump knows he's not qualified to be president of the United States, and the investigation just reminds everyone of that fact. 

Plus, he's guilty. 

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
1.3.1  arkpdx  replied to  JohnRussell @1.3    6 years ago
he's guilty. 

Of what? 

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
1.3.2  Skrekk  replied to  arkpdx @1.3.1    6 years ago

18.USC.371.

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
1.3.3  arkpdx  replied to  Skrekk @1.3.2    6 years ago

Nope! 

Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו
Junior Participates
1.3.4  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  arkpdx @1.3.3    6 years ago

Yep.  (this is fun and so easy!)

MrFrost
Professor Guide
2  MrFrost    6 years ago

So, just sitting here playing a game, going through some things in my head...

Trump said he would meet with Iran, no preconditions at all...none...

But...

No asking about about collusion...

No asking about obstruction of justice...

No asking about meetings with Russians that trump said never happened...

With regards to his meeting with Mueller?

Iran...no preconditions at all...

Mueller? Lots of conditions...

Does that send up NO red flags with ANY trump supporters at all? WTF?

What happened to, "Well Iran has been threatening the USA for 50 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!", but....now that's ok? We going to ignore that?

Trump is FAR past the point that Nixon resigned. As much as trump screams, "NO COLLUSION!!!", you can damn sure bet that there was... No one denies ANYTHING that much without being guilty of it. Then you have Rudy saying, "Well, collusion isn't a crime".... Jesus, really? How far back are they going to move the goal posts this time? LOL 

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
2.1  seeder  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  MrFrost @2    6 years ago

Remember Trump saying there was nothing to worry about from North Korea? Check it out.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3  It Is ME    6 years ago

"FBI agents establish that the Watergate break-in stems from a massive campaign of political spying and sabotage conducted on behalf of the Nixon reelection effort, The Post reports. Remind anyone of something the Russians were doing around June of 2016 ?"

Trump Tower was never spied on. Face Palm

Who didn't that again ?

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
3.1  seeder  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  It Is ME @3    6 years ago
Trump Tower was never spied on. 

I'm glad you admit, finally, that Obama never spied on Trump. However, you missed what I was referring to, the head people in the Trump campaign, Eric Trump, Don Jr., Manafort, Gates and, who ever else agreed to the meeting with the Russians at Trump Tower broke the election laws, now, it seems from the reporting that not only did Don Sr. know about the meeting before hand he ordered it to go through, this is according to documentation in the Cohen case.