╌>

'How to get a husband': Cringeworthy 1950s dating article advises women to 'cry softly in a corner' and 'stumble into a room' to attract eligible men

Category:  History & Sociology

Via:  mocowgirl  •  6 years ago  •  52 comments

'How to get a husband': Cringeworthy 1950s dating article advises women to 'cry softly in a corner' and 'stumble into a room' to attract eligible men
The lengthy feature prompted a wave of responses from Facebook users, with one musing: 'In this day and age it looks more like a manual of how to get kidnapped!'

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

A 1958 magazine article advising women on how to attract a partner has surfaced on the internet, triggering a frenzy across social media.

Titled '129 Ways to Get a Husband', the feature in American magazine McCall's included a varied body of tips ranging from bizarre and desperate to downright sexist and politically incorrect.

One of the more outrageous instructions told women to be flexible about their potential partner's decisions: 'If he decides to skip the dance and go rowing on the lake, GO – even if you are wearing your best evening gown'.

The post, which had been shared 13,750 times at the time of writing, caused widespread controversy on Facebook, quickly racking up more than 4,600 likes and thousands of comments from shocked and amused users.

Article is LOCKED by author/seeder
[]

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
1  seeder  mocowgirl    6 years ago

#112 - Get a hunting license.

Seriously?   LOL!

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  mocowgirl @1    6 years ago

Or at least a fishing license. That way when he wants to go rowing you can stay behind and fish!

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
1.1.1  seeder  mocowgirl  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1    6 years ago
Or at least a fishing license.

I like the way you think.  LOL!

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
2  Dean Moriarty    6 years ago

Good advice like this is timeless. 

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
2.1  seeder  mocowgirl  replied to  Dean Moriarty @2    6 years ago

"Get a dog and walk it" is timeless.  A woman gets companionship, loyalty and exercise.  

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
2.1.1  Dean Moriarty  replied to  mocowgirl @2.1    6 years ago

Yep the dog works as a good ice breaker for the boy. It’s less intimidating for the male when he can use the dog as a conversation starter. 

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
2.1.2  seeder  mocowgirl  replied to  Dean Moriarty @2.1.1    6 years ago
It’s less intimidating for the male when he can use the dog as a conversation starter. 

If a male cannot converse with a female about topics that interest her, then there is really no basis for even a short term relationship. 

Healthy relationships require shared interests and goals.  

Entrapment and superficiality are not a basis for successful long term relationships.

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
2.1.3  Sunshine  replied to  mocowgirl @2.1.2    6 years ago
If a male cannot converse with a female about topics that interest her,

I think he meant the dog was the icebreaker and the interest would be owning a dog to open a conversation.

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
2.1.4  seeder  mocowgirl  replied to  Sunshine @2.1.3    6 years ago
I think he meant the dog was the icebreaker

I know.

In today's world, more women in the US are pursuing degrees and hopefully won't have to resort to attracting strangers to find dates.

Highlights from the October 2017 data:

--Among recent high school graduates age 16 to 24, women remained more likely
     to be enrolled in college (71.7 percent) than men (61.1 percent). (See
     table 1.)

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
2.1.5  Sunshine  replied to  mocowgirl @2.1.4    6 years ago
resort to attracting strangers to find dates.

Now we have a gazillion websites for that.

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
2.1.6  seeder  mocowgirl  replied to  Sunshine @2.1.5    6 years ago
Now we have a gazillion websites for that.

I have heard this.   In fact, a neighbor met her current boyfriend on one.  He lives several hours away so they see each other probably less than 8 days a month.  This seems to be working for them as it has lasted for over 4 years. 

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
2.1.8  seeder  mocowgirl  replied to    6 years ago
A lot of women go to college for the sole purpose of finding a husband.  

I have known women like that.  I doubt that they are anywhere close to the majority in today's world where women have far more opportunities to pursue careers that interest them.

Krishna
Professor Expert
2.1.9  Krishna  replied to  mocowgirl @2.1.2    6 years ago

If a male cannot converse with a female about topics that interest her, then there is really no basis for even a short term relationship. 

Well, based upon the conversations I've seen in online discussion forums, most people are incapable of much intelligent conversation (& of course that applies to all 5 sexes-- not just women).

In the unlikely event that a fairly intelligent conversation somehow begins-- the vast majority of the "intellectually-challenged" individuals who spend much time there are incapable of participating in a real discussion, so they attempt to derail the discussion by turning it into a nasty personal attack on one or more participants.

(Of course the good news is that that sort of thing rarely,if ever, occurs here on NT! Thank goodness for that! jrSmiley_7_smiley_image.png )

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
2.1.10  seeder  mocowgirl  replied to  Krishna @2.1.9    6 years ago
nasty personal attack on one or more participants.

People seem to need some type of validation and/or praise for existing.  The neediest seem to be the nastiest.  It seems to be hardwired in their brain functions - possibly a heritable trait.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
4  Hal A. Lujah    6 years ago

Nice to see such common sense suggestions as "take a bicycle trip through Europe".

Although, I admit that I'm guilty of supporting (part of) one of the suggestions:  'Wear high heels most of the time – they're sexier! Unless he happens to be shorter than you.'  I'm short enough that a woman would need to be really short to attract me in high heels.  This just looks ridiculous imo.

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
4.1  seeder  mocowgirl  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @4    6 years ago
I'm short enough that a woman would need to be really short to attract me in high heels.

Serious question - What makes you uncomfortable about being with a woman that is taller than you?  

I ask because I am 5' tall and just about all adults are taller than me.  I honestly rarely notice, but it might have something to do with working with large animals all of my life.  

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
4.1.1  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  mocowgirl @4.1    6 years ago

Serious question - What makes you uncomfortable about being with a woman that is taller than you?

Honest answer:  I don't know, I just am.  I've only dated a couple women who were slightly taller than me, and I knew right away that it wasn't going to work out.  Shallow, maybe, but it is what it is.  I feel like a child when a woman has to lean down to kiss me.  I'm good friends with a married couple who are both very tall.  We always hug when we see each other, and laugh about how far she has to bend down to do so (and I'm 5'6").

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
4.1.2  seeder  mocowgirl  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @4.1.1    6 years ago
Shallow, maybe, but it is what it is.

I don't think it is shallow.  Just curious.

I have known men who were mostly attracted to women that were taller than them.

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
4.1.3  Sunshine  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @4.1.1    6 years ago
Shallow, maybe, but it is what it is. 

Reminds of that movie "Shallow Hal"

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.1.4  Krishna  replied to  mocowgirl @4.1.2    6 years ago

I have known men who were mostly attracted to women that were taller than them.

An excellent point!

I know it may be "politically incorrect" to say this inan online discussion-- but I think that many people-- of both sexes-- differ in what they like!

For example, some men are really attracted to a women with really large-- I mean a really YUGE-- pair of tatas! Other are turned on by a more sleek, even somewhat skinny body. Some go crazy over blondes-- other prefer brunettes. Some are turned off-- even threatened-- by women who earn more than they do-- but others prefer that. Some men don't like intelligent women-- others prefer that.

The list goes on and on. (And of course there are men who don't care either way about any of those things-- they may have some other quality that they really like-- or really find to be a turn-off).

And different women also have various likes and dislikes.

Internet discussions is often people feel a need to over-generalize-- some even think that all people in any given category are all the same--which is one reason so many online discussions are so...well, whatever!

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
4.1.5  seeder  mocowgirl  replied to  Krishna @4.1.4    6 years ago
Internet discussions is often people feel a need to over-generalize--

Sexual attraction is a taboo subject to discuss in terms of what physical features are required to gain notice, but our media is filled with discussions and advertisements on how to paint, squeeze and dress one's body to gain notice.

Relationships based solely on sex can be physically satisfying, but some of us require our intellectual needs be met, also if we are going to commit to a monogamous relationship.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
4.2  Freefaller  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @4    6 years ago

Lol go get your old 70's disco platform shoes out of the closet, that's an extra 2 or 3 inches easy

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
4.2.1  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Freefaller @4.2    6 years ago

Awwwwww yeeeaaaa

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
5  Sunshine    6 years ago

Reading the obituaries seems rather sickening.

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
5.1  seeder  mocowgirl  replied to  Sunshine @5    6 years ago
Reading the obituaries seems rather sickening.

Women who had never worked had no retirement of their own.  In the 1950s, the population of the US was still mostly rural.  It is doubtful that widows of farmers, or even the average working class male, were drawing enough social security to survive on.

Today there are still elderly women who have no retirement of their own and are struggling to survive.  

So I agree that it is rather sickening that women must resort to husband hunting (at any age) to survive.

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
5.1.1  Sunshine  replied to  mocowgirl @5.1    6 years ago
So I agree that it is rather sickening that women must resort to husband hunting (at any age) to survive.

Yes...it is sad that they have no family to depend on either.  

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
5.1.2  seeder  mocowgirl  replied to  Sunshine @5.1.1    6 years ago
Yes...it is sad that they have no family to depend on either.

Their family is probably struggling to support their own family and maybe even fund their own retirement instead of expecting their children to support themselves, their children and their parents.

Some people either have no children or their children don't work or have already died.  These people rely on other people and their children to pay for their food, lodging and ever expanding medical bills through social services.

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.1.3  Krishna  replied to  mocowgirl @5.1    6 years ago

Today there are still elderly women who have no retirement of their own and are struggling to survive.  

Actually that's true of many men as well. (In my experience it seems that more and more people in general don't take responsibility for their own lives-- in fact there are numerous articles with stattistics re: the amount of money (if any!) people have saved for retirement. The results are pretty shocking.

However, that being said-- I see your point. The common Weltanschauung* for so many years was that a man should work and earn income to support the family, while "a women's place was in the kitchen". Since many (most?) families don't save enough for retirement, when the husband died, many older women had no experience in the workplace.... (and in any event, many businesses didn't want to train someone in their 60s or 70s..)

*Weltanschauung? WTF Weltanschauung?!!!?? Occasionally I like to use a big word ..in a futile attempt to impress everyone. But here's a little secret-- more often than not I haven't the slightest idea what those words mean-- they just sound impressive, LOL! :-)

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.1.4  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @5.1.3    6 years ago
for so many years was that a man should work and earn income to support the family, while "a women's place was in the kitchen".

A variation is "A women's place is in the home"

I think many people have seen signs of change such as this.

(Available in different sty;es and colours at other vendors)

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
5.1.5  seeder  mocowgirl  replied to  Krishna @5.1.3    6 years ago
Actually that's true of many men as well.

Low wages and the 2008 financial meltdown are factors that should not be ignored.  Since the 1990s, wages and benefits have declined as money has been concentrated from the 1 percent to the .01 percent.  

Because of the problem of low wages or retirement savings lost in 2008, we can expect more seniors to live out their lives dependent on increasing taxes on the working class to keep them alive.

At some point, the working class is going to have to demand changes to the ponzi scheme that has created this mess.

• The number of senior SNAP recipients is likely to increase, as the elderly population, the number of seniors in poverty, and the number of seniors participating in SNAP continue to grow.
  • The U.S. population aged 60 and older has increased from 52 million to 67 million, a 29 percent increase between 2007 and 2015. [9]   Over the same period, the number of seniors living below the poverty grew by 27 percent, from 5 to 6.3 million. [10]   The number of people 60 and over is projected to increase to 82 million by 2025. [11]  
  • As states have improved their outreach to seniors, the share of eligible seniors that receive SNAP has grown from 33 percent in 2010 to 42 percent in 2014.  But there’s still room for SNAP to improve in reaching seniors — among all individuals eligible for SNAP, some 83 percent participated in 2014. [12]
  • Senior participation in SNAP is also likely to increase as food-insecure middle-aged individuals age over the coming decades and become eligible for benefits.  A study of food insecurity among middle-aged individuals found that increases in food insecurity were most pronounced for people aged 40-49 and 50-59. [13]   The number of individuals between 45 and 64 years old that lived below the income poverty level in 2015 was double that of the population 65 years and older.   [14]
  • Many of these seniors may need a lot of help.  In 2015, 2 percent of the U.S. elderly population (about a million seniors) lived with and were financially responsible for the welfare of their grandchildren.  Some 31 percent of the U.S. elderly civilian non-institutionalized population (19 million seniors) were disabled. [15]

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
7  Hal A. Lujah    6 years ago

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
8  Sunshine    6 years ago

My mother managed to find two husbands without any of that nonsense. jrSmiley_4_smiley_image.png

She graduated high school in 1949.  Went to nursing school directly, back then a four year degree was required to be a Registered Nurse.  She came from a poor family, but still somehow manage to pay for her education.  She worked, raised two children through the fifties and sixties. and early seventies.  A lot of wives did.  My best friend growing up mother was a school teacher.  A lot of women had careers or jobs.  

It is just a stupid magazine article...we still have them.

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
8.1  seeder  mocowgirl  replied to  Sunshine @8    6 years ago
It is just a stupid magazine article...we still have them.

Unfortunately, our species doesn't seem to be able to communicate openly and honestly with each other in ways that foster healthy friendships.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
10  sandy-2021492    6 years ago

On behalf of today's women:

Fuck that shit.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
10.1  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  sandy-2021492 @10    6 years ago

Sandy!  I like the new ‘tude!

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
12  seeder  mocowgirl    6 years ago

Locking article because I am logging off.