╌>

Wishing Everyone a Happy Memorial Day Weekend From California!

Category:  Photography & Art

By:  freewill  •  4 years ago  •  20 comments

Wishing Everyone a Happy Memorial Day Weekend From California!
View of the sunset from a safe social distance

Enjoyed a great BBQ outdoors with friends and family, remembering those who have fought and sacrificed for our freedom!   Thank you to all of our military families and first responders for all that you and your loved ones do in the service of others!   Stay safe and healthy this Memorial Day Weekend!

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Freewill
Junior Quiet
1  author  Freewill    4 years ago

Bigger version of this picture

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Freewill @1    4 years ago

Beautiful photo Freewill! 

We had a lovely day. It was my father in law's 92nd birthday and we had a BBQ with my sister in law. It was really nice.  

Freewill
Junior Quiet
1.1.1  author  Freewill  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.1    4 years ago

That is great Perrie!  Happy Memorial Day my friend!  This is a shot from the backyard of my sister-in-laws house.  One thing I love about California is the sunsets.

Kavika
Professor Principal
2  Kavika     4 years ago

Beautiful photo. It looks like an orchard.

Freewill
Junior Quiet
2.1  author  Freewill  replied to  Kavika @2    4 years ago
It looks like an orchard

A vineyard yes.  Have a great weekend Kavika!

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Kavika   replied to  Freewill @2.1    4 years ago

A vineyard in So. Cal, Central or the wine coutry around Napa?

Freewill
Junior Quiet
2.1.2  author  Freewill  replied to  Kavika @2.1.1    4 years ago

Central Valley

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1.3  Kavika   replied to  Freewill @2.1.2    4 years ago

Very cool Freewill.

Been in the Central Valley many times. Actually back in the day I chopped cotton around Firebaugh.

Freewill
Junior Quiet
2.1.4  author  Freewill  replied to  Kavika @2.1.3    4 years ago
around Firebaugh

Know the area well.  Firebaugh and Dos Palos actually, Josh Allen country for any Buffalo Bills fans here.  We know his parents from college.  Our families went up skiing together many times.  Kid had a cannon for an arm even back when he was little. 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1.5  XXJefferson51  replied to  Freewill @2.1.4    4 years ago

At the north end of the Central Valley here’s a beautiful sunset I’ve enjoyed many times:

Sun Dial Bridge, Redding, CA, USA.

IS_4-5_NEWS_NOV_2019_002P-678x381.jpgSundial Bridge in Redding, California 

When they see the Sundial Bridge, visitors of Turtle Bay Exploration Park in Redding, California might find themselves wondering, “Is it a bird? Is it a plane?” No, but it is certainly a real eye catcher! It is also one of the world’s largest working sundials, which is also pretty cool.

The Sundial Bridge was designed by the Spanish architect Santiago Calatrava. He is famous for representing movement in his designs. The Sundial Bridge was meant to resemble a bird in flight. The bridge was constructed of glass, steel, and granite. The translucent deck allows for viewing of the Sacramento River below.

Light hits the Sundial Bridge and casts a shadow. As the Sun moves, the shadow moves as well. In fact, the shadow made by the Sundial Bridge moves one foot per minute! The movement of the shadow forms an arc. This arc can be used to tell time and works best between 11:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. when the view is not blocked by trees.

The Sundial Bridge is a type of suspension bridge. Suspension bridges are made using cables. These types of bridges hold the walkway, or deck, from above rather than from below. The choice to make the Sundial Bridge a suspension bridge was an environmental one. The bridge spans the Sacramento River, which is a habitat for salmon. It is an important place for them to spawn, or lay eggs. Architect Santiago Calatrava’s bridge may look like a bird, but he designed it so that no part of the bridge would be in the river. This design keeps the salmon habitat safe and free from human contamination.

When Santiago Calatrava designed the Sundial Bridge, he considered how it would look, how it would function, and how it would affect the environment. Imagine what would happen if all architects did the same!

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1.6  XXJefferson51  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.1.5    4 years ago

A great place to eat with indoor window views and an outdoor deck where sunset is awesome: View202-10-15-12-by-Skip.jpg
Located on a bluff overlooking the Sacramento River to the west, it’s on Hemstead near Cypress.

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1.7  Kavika   replied to  Freewill @2.1.4    4 years ago

Small world Freewill, 

Enjoy the day and remember to observe a minute of silence to honor those that made the ultimate sacrifice.

Freewill
Junior Quiet
2.1.8  author  Freewill  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.1.6    4 years ago

Awesome HA!  Beautiful!

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1.9  XXJefferson51  replied to  Freewill @2.1.8    4 years ago

I’m glad you liked the pics.  

Ender
Professor Principal
3  Ender    4 years ago

Glad you had a good day. Believe it or not, it is still hard to find a good steak around here. What ever slim pickings there are, are expensive. Will probably just have burgers.

Remember tomorrow at 3 pm is supposed to be a moment of reflection and remembrance.

Freewill
Junior Quiet
3.1  author  Freewill  replied to  Ender @3    4 years ago
Remember tomorrow at 3 pm is supposed to be a moment of reflection and remembrance

Yep - We will try to do that all day.

Veronica
Professor Guide
4  Veronica    4 years ago

This is a beautiful picture. So serene.

We have had a wonderful weekend so far.  My sister made it up from the Southern Tier.  I haven't seen her in 3 months.  It was so great.  We grilled on Friday, Saturday & today - will do so again tomorrow.

Happy Memorial Day!!!

Freewill
Junior Quiet
4.1  author  Freewill  replied to  Veronica @4    4 years ago

You too Veronica!

charger 383
Professor Silent
5  charger 383    4 years ago

Happy Memorial Day to all

Freewill
Junior Quiet
5.1  author  Freewill  replied to  charger 383 @5    4 years ago