Fauci Squashes Trump's Distortion Of CDC's COVID-19 Death Toll Data

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  john-russell  •  4 weeks ago  •  54 comments

By:   Cristina Cabrera (TPM)

Fauci Squashes Trump's Distortion Of CDC's COVID-19 Death Toll Data
Dr. Anthony Fauci on Tuesday threw cold water on President Donald Trump and his allies' attempt to distort the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's…

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

GettyImages-1208730821-804x536.jpg

Dr. Anthony Fauci on Tuesday threw cold water on President Donald Trump and his allies' attempt to distort the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's (CDC) data to misleadingly shrink the COVID-19 death toll.

During an interview on "Good Morning America," Fauci clarified the CDC's recent report that states 6 percent (approximately 9,000) of the 183,500 COVID-19 deaths were attributed to the coronavirus alone.

The infectious disease expert pointed out that the figure simply means COVID-19 caused those 9,000 deaths without causing the pneumonia, cardiac arrest, or other complications that killed the other 94 percent of people who contracted the virus.

That data "does not mean that someone who has hypertension or diabetes who dies of COVID didn't die of COVID-19. They did," Fauci said.

"So the numbers you've been hearing, the 180,000+ deaths, are real deaths from COVID-19. Let there not be any confusion about that," he added. "It's not 9,000 deaths from COVID-19. It's 180+ thousand deaths."

Fauci's explanation comes after Trump retweeted several times the false claim that only 6 percent of the CDC's recorded deaths were caused by COVID-19 (Twitter took down one of the posts Trump had retweeted for violating the platform's misinformation policy). White House Press Secretary Kayleigh McEnany defended the President's retweets, claiming that he was "highlighting new CDC information that came out that was worth noting."

Watch Fauci below:

FULL INTERVIEW: Dr. Fauci weighs in on 6M US coronavirus cases, deaths and comorbidity.@arobachhttps://t.co/Jmk8Ni1mQVpic.twitter.com/ELvo50X68N
— Good Morning America (@GMA) September 1, 2020

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
smarty_function_ntUser_is_admin: user_id parameter required
[]

JohnRussell
1  seeder  JohnRussell    4 weeks ago

Watch the video for Fauci's explanation which I will summarize here.  The 9000 refers to people who died of covid but didnt have any other medical condition. The rest of the 180,000 died from covid-19 but had other medical conditions as well. 

As usual Trump misrepresented the statistics. 

XDm9mm
1.1  XDm9mm  replied to  JohnRussell @1    4 weeks ago
The rest of the 180,000 died from covid-19 but had other medical conditions as well.

Then we won't need to discuss the thousands of people that were essentially on deaths door already when they contracted the China Covid-19 pandemic virus.

Ozzwald
1.1.1  Ozzwald  replied to  XDm9mm @1.1    4 weeks ago

Then we won't need to discuss the thousands of people that were essentially on deaths door already when they contracted the China Covid-19 pandemic virus.

We do if the Corona virus opened that door and ushered them through it.

Trout Giggles
1.1.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Ozzwald @1.1.1    4 weeks ago

more like pushed them through it

Perrie Halpern R.A.
1.1.3  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1.2    4 weeks ago

This is a no brainer.

Even if you had stage 4 cancer and you were hit by a car and died, the ME is going to report that you died from being hit by a car. 

My father in law is 92 years old. He is the second-longest living life long type 1 diabetic and has Parkinson's. He's doing fine. But if he gets COVID, he's dead. What killed him? The COVID.

Trout Giggles
1.1.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.1.3    4 weeks ago

Exactly. It's not rocket science

Gordy327
1.1.5  Gordy327  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1.4    4 weeks ago
Exactly. It's not rocket science

Unfortunately, some people don't seem to understand any science. Perhaps that's why they become hostile towards science too.

Paula Bartholomew
2  Paula Bartholomew    4 weeks ago

Dr. Fauci has no reason to lie and uses statistics and facts unlike Trump who lies continually is woefully ignorant to the facts.  Dr. Fauci, the WHO, and the CDC should do podcasts and give us the skinny unlike Trump who is dumber than a post about this.

XDm9mm
2.1  XDm9mm  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @2    4 weeks ago
Dr. Fauci has no reason to lie

Except when he does.   Remember initially the claim 'you don't need a mask'?  That was in fact a lie.  Plus he has lied other times also. 

But you hate Trump so Fauci good Trump bad, right?

JohnRussell
2.1.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  XDm9mm @2.1    4 weeks ago

Now you're trying to tell us Fauci is on the same level of lying with Trump? 

Trump supporters will literally say anything to support their idol.  How did America get brought so low? 

Just Jim NC TttH
2.1.2  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.1    4 weeks ago

There is a difference in dying WITH Covid and dying OF Covid. But I'm sure you know that

XDm9mm
2.1.3  XDm9mm  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.1    4 weeks ago

THANK YOU JR.....  

You have just inadvertently acknowledged that the vaunted Dr. Fauci has and does LIE.

Oh, just to give you a partial win, I never made such a claim.  But, THANKS AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Paula Bartholomew
2.1.4  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.1    4 weeks ago

Fauci has made mistakes but owned up to them.  Trump could say that 2 + 2 is 5 and when proven wrong still would not own up to it.

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
2.1.5  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.1    4 weeks ago
How did America get brought so low? 

The failure to see the importance of graduating high school would be my guess.

JohnRussell
2.1.6  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  XDm9mm @2.1.3    4 weeks ago

I didnt admit any such thing. Get some new glasses. 

JohnRussell
2.1.7  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @2.1.2    4 weeks ago

Thats why I explained what Fauci said, because I did understand him. 

Jasper2529
2.1.8  Jasper2529  replied to  XDm9mm @2.1    4 weeks ago
Except when he does.   Remember initially the claim 'you don't need a mask'?  That was in fact a lie.  Plus he has lied other times also. 

All we need to do is look at the connections.

Tedros%20MOU.jpg?itok=Kfe1MWsJ&timestamp=1535650209

https://nihrecord.nih.gov/2018/05/18/who-director-general-tedros-visits-nih

GettyImages-1196986831.jpg?w=800&h=533&quality=90

https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/04/02/china-coronavirus-who-health-soft-power/

Ozzwald
2.1.9  Ozzwald  replied to  XDm9mm @2.1    4 weeks ago
Remember initially the claim 'you don't need a mask'?

That statement is an outright lie!  You put quotation marks on it, which means you needed to provide the entire quote.  You refused to do that, making your statement false.

“Dr. Fauci: No reason to be wearing a mask.”

Trout Giggles
2.1.10  Trout Giggles  replied to  Jasper2529 @2.1.8    4 weeks ago

that's a stretch

Perrie Halpern R.A.
2.1.11  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  XDm9mm @2.1    4 weeks ago

That was not a lie. That was based on what we knew at the time. When we gain knowledge, intelligent people take that new information into consideration and make adjustments. That is the whole premise of the scientific theory.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
2.1.12  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Jasper2529 @2.1.8    4 weeks ago

Your point?

Jasper2529
2.1.13  Jasper2529  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.1.10    4 weeks ago
that's a stretch

Not at all, if one has read about the documented medical and international connections between Fauci, Tedros, and Xi.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
2.1.14  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Jasper2529 @2.1.13    4 weeks ago

Oh please. That is part of his job. He wouldn't be there if he wasn't told to be.

Trout Giggles
2.1.15  Trout Giggles  replied to  Jasper2529 @2.1.13    4 weeks ago

I'm sure there are lots of documented medical and international connections between them....they're international figures! And 2 of them happen to be doctors.

OMG....it's a conspiracy I tell you! The three of them planned to unleash COVID on the world!

Jasper2529
2.1.16  Jasper2529  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.1.15    4 weeks ago
The three of them planned to unleash COVID on the world!

Those are your words, not mine. I'd never accuse Dr. Fauci of such a thing.

Trout Giggles
2.1.17  Trout Giggles  replied to  Jasper2529 @2.1.16    4 weeks ago

I honestly didn't think I had to actually put a /S on the end of that for you. I thought you would figure that out without having to be told

Jasper2529
2.1.18  Jasper2529  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.1.17    4 weeks ago

You didn't, and I did. Good talking with you again.

XDm9mm
2.1.19  XDm9mm  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.6    4 weeks ago
I didnt admit any such thing. Get some new glasses. 

By using the following verbiage, you most certainly did acknowledge that Fauci lied, albeit not as much as PRESIDENT TRUMP.

"On the same level of lying" indicates LIES.

XDm9mm
2.1.20  XDm9mm  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.1.11    4 weeks ago
That was not a lie.

It most assuredly was.   He recently admitted that the REASON was to not put a strain on supplies leaving them available for medical personnel....   HE LIED TO THE AMERICAN PEOPLE and you can't spin it away no matter how hard you try.

XDm9mm
2.1.21  XDm9mm  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1.9    4 weeks ago
That statement is an outright lie!  You put quotation marks on it, which means you needed to provide the entire quote.  You refused to do that, making your statement false. “Dr. Fauci: No reason to be wearing a mask.”

First, I didn't use a QUOTATION mark which is ".

Second, THANKS for validating that Fauci in fact LIED to the American people with your update!!  Greatly appreciated.

gooseisgone
2.1.22  gooseisgone  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.1.11    4 weeks ago
That was not a lie. That was based on what we knew at the time.

So Fauci gets a pass but, you want to blame Trump for not handling it correctly when he's listening to Fauci, explain that. 

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2020/apr/29/steve-bannon/did-fauci-tell-us-not-worry-about-coronavirus/

Trout Giggles
2.1.23  Trout Giggles  replied to  Jasper2529 @2.1.18    3 weeks ago
Those are your words, not mine.

Then why write that? Back tracking so your buddies think you have a smidgen of humor?

Eat The Press Do Not Read It
2.2  Eat The Press Do Not Read It  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @2    4 weeks ago

Why do some folks still believe Trump, the bag of lying fermented Sheep Dips?

What is his appeal?  Ever thing Trump has done has screw things up, MADE THEM WORSE!

Do they just believe Fox TV Network News, and, do not know that one of the largest investors in a Saudi Prince?

2.2.1  Eat The Press Do Not Read It  replied to  Eat The Press Do Not Read It @2.2    4 weeks ago

So, the ties between Fox-Saudis-Trump-Saudis!  All comes down to MONEY & WORLD DOMINATION!

Tacos!
3  Tacos!    4 weeks ago

If there is confusion over any data or guidance coming out of the CDC, it is their own fault. The one consistency has been their inability to communicate with clarity.

3.1  Eat The Press Do Not Read It  replied to  Tacos! @3    4 weeks ago

The inconsistency comes from the CDC's boss, Trump, misusing, abusing and subverting another goverment agencies to benefit himself.

Gordy327
3.1.1  Gordy327  replied to  Eat The Press Do Not Read It @3.1    4 weeks ago
The inconsistency comes from the CDC's boss, Trump, misusing, abusing and subverting another goverment agencies to benefit himself.

Not to mention Trump had to be corrected on the information he provided at times.

Trout Giggles
4  Trout Giggles    4 weeks ago

I thought this was pretty simple to understand. Some people get COVID and die even tho they have no pre-existing conditions. Some one with a pre-existing condition gets COVID and dies. But if they hadn't contracted COVID they would not now be a COVID statistic. Without COVID, they would be a statistic of people who die of diabetes and heart conditions

Kavika
4.1  Kavika   replied to  Trout Giggles @4    4 weeks ago

If a person has cancer and drowns the death certificate doesn't read death by cancer. It reads death by drowning.

Trout Giggles
4.1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Kavika @4.1    4 weeks ago

My mother had rheumatic heart disease, the underlying condition, but her death certificate read myocardial infarction brought on by internal bleeding caused by coumadin overdose. No rheumatic heart disease on her DC

Jasper2529
4.1.2  Jasper2529  replied to  Kavika @4.1    4 weeks ago
If a person has cancer and drowns the death certificate doesn't read death by cancer. It reads death by drowning.

Hi, Kavika. I suppose it depends on the physician. My father's death certificate "cause of death" is COPD, CAD, prostate and bladder cancer. Although he had prostate cancer in the late 1980s, he'd been cancer-free for over 20 years and he'd never been diagnosed with bladder cancer. No autopsy done. 

Kavika
4.1.3  Kavika   replied to  Jasper2529 @4.1.2    4 weeks ago

I think that each state may be a bit different. I looked up some info on death certificates and this is what I found regarding death by COVID.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvss/coronavirus/cause-of-death-data-quality.pdf

Jasper2529
4.1.4  Jasper2529  replied to  Kavika @4.1.3    4 weeks ago
I think that each state may be a bit different.

This is very possible. Thank you for the CDC link. I use CDC and Johns Hopkins for my Covid data.

Kavika
4.1.5  Kavika   replied to  Jasper2529 @4.1.4    4 weeks ago

I use JH as well.

Tacos!
4.2  Tacos!  replied to  Trout Giggles @4    4 weeks ago

It does seem like a bit of good news, though. Unless you're elderly and/or have some these conditions, you'll probably do just fine if you get infected.

Ender
4.2.1  Ender  replied to  Tacos! @4.2    4 weeks ago

Not with some studies that show people can have damage to the heart.

We don't know any long lasting impact.

Kavika
4.2.2  Kavika   replied to  Ender @4.2.1    4 weeks ago

Kavika
4.2.3  Kavika   replied to  Kavika @4.2.2    4 weeks ago

I looked up how many people in the US are obese. 

The numbers are staggering.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/products/databriefs/db360.htm

Ender
4.2.4  Ender  replied to  Kavika @4.2.2    4 weeks ago

What I call disingenuous is people trying to say the virus has less of an impact as people were sick anyway.

Bullcrap. People can have their condition manageable yet here comes the virus and it is substantially worse.

Ender
4.2.5  Ender  replied to  Kavika @4.2.3    4 weeks ago

The amount of 'large' people is unreal.

Trout Giggles
5  Trout Giggles    4 weeks ago

I thought this was pretty simple to understand. Some people get COVID and die even tho they have no pre-existing conditions. Some one with a pre-existing condition gets COVID and dies. But if they hadn't contracted COVID they would not now be a COVID statistic. Without COVID, they would be a statistic of people who die of diabetes and heart conditions

JohnRussell
5.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Trout Giggles @5    4 weeks ago
Without COVID, they would be a statistic of people who die of diabetes and heart conditions

Or, they might not be dead in 2020. 

Trout Giggles
5.1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  JohnRussell @5.1    4 weeks ago

that, too

Paula Bartholomew
5.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Trout Giggles @5    4 weeks ago

Then there are some with pre-existing condition like my neighbor (diabetes) who get it and survive.