Trump directs federal agencies to defund 4 Democratic cities, other 'anarchist jurisdictions'

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  john-russell  •  3 weeks ago  •  49 comments

By:   Peter Weber (theweek)

Trump directs federal agencies to defund 4 Democratic cities, other 'anarchist jurisdictions'
President Trump released a five-page memo Wednesday directing federal agencies to find ways to cut billions in federal grants to four solidly Democratic cities and determine which other "anarchist jurisdictions" he could defund. Trump specifically targeted New York City; Washington, D.C.; Seattle, Washington; and Portland, Oregon. He claimed these cities have become "lawless zones" that "permit anarchy, violence, and destruction."

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Trump's AmericaEdit

2:22 a.m.

President Trump released a five-page memo Wednesday directing federal agencies to find ways to cut billions in federal grants to four solidly Democratic cities and determine which other "anarchist jurisdictions" he could defund. Trump specifically targeted New York City; Washington, D.C.; Seattle, Washington; and Portland, Oregon. He claimed these cities have become "lawless zones" that "permit anarchy, violence, and destruction."

Trump gave Attorney General William Barr 14 days to identify these "anarchist jurisdictions," and his given criteria include any area that "disempowers or defunds police departments" or "forbids the police force from intervening to restore order amid widespread or sustained violence or destruction." The Office of Management and Budget has 30 days to direct agencies to find ways to restrict federal grants to these justifications, which Trump doesn't name, "possibly for legal reasons," the New York Post reports.

As part of his campaign strategy "to shift the public's attention away from his administration's failed response to the coronavirus pandemic," Trump "has repeatedly sought to paint cities as hellscapes that only he can save, regardless of how limited the violent outbreaks have been during broader protests against acts of brutality by police officers against Black people," The New York Times notes. His latest "move is almost certain to face legal challenges."

The leaders of the four targeted cities did in fact threaten legal action, and New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D) called Trump's "illegal" order another "cheap" and "gratuitous" attempt by a wannabe "king" to "kill New York City," adding that Trump "better have an army if he thinks he's going to walk down the street in New York," their shared home town.

The Washington Post's Paul Farhi pointed out that "cutting funding to punish cities that have defunded police" will probably "lead cities to ... further defund police," due to lack of funds. But these cities were never going to vote for Trump, and FiveThirtyEight's Nate Silver points out that Trump, perversely, doesn't need them to.

The comparison to Obama in 2008 is instructive because Biden is polling at almost exactly Obama's popular vote margin from '08 now (7.5 vs. 7.3 for Biden). But he's added a LOT of votes in these 5 high-population states, plus possibly MD and IL, which have little polling. — Nate Silver (@NateSilver538) September 2, 2020

If Joe Biden gets huge wins in Washington, New York, and Oregon, it won't help his "Electoral College chances at all," Silver notes. Peter Weber

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
smarty_function_ntUser_is_admin: user_id parameter required
[]

JohnRussell
1  seeder  JohnRussell    3 weeks ago

Hey, he left out Chicago . Now we feel neglected. 

JohnRussell
2  seeder  JohnRussell    3 weeks ago

Trump may be planting the kiss of death on his own re-election hopes. Current polling shows his "law and order" campaign is not working with voters. 

Notice how he left Kenosha out of his order against "anarchy" though.  Wisconsin is a swing state. 

TrumpFanOne
2.1  TrumpFanOne  replied to  JohnRussell @2    3 weeks ago
Notice how he left Kenosha out of his order against "anarchy" though.  Wisconsin is a swing state. 

Maybe you didn't notice yourself Mr. Russel that the four cities mentioned refused federal assistance in squelching the rioting pieces of shit running rampant while the supposed elected leader standby with their thumbs up their ass while telling the police to do the same. Wisconsin, specifically Kenosha, accepted federal help courtesy of the National Guard and federal law enforcement.

Do you now see the difference, or do you need more help.

Dulay
2.1.1  Dulay  replied to  TrumpFanOne @2.1    3 weeks ago
Do you now see the difference, or do you need more help.

I could use some help. so perhaps you can answer some questions. 

What were the dates of looting and/or rioting in each cited city and how many days in a row did those events continue?

Are perpetrators of 'looting and rioting' arrested and prosecuted in the 4 cities cited? 

Is the looting and/or rioting wide spread and what is the percentage of the population of each city that are directly effected? 

Have Governors or Mayors opposed requests by Police Chiefs and/or County Sheriffs for Federal assistance in any of the cities Trump cited? 

How many Federal/State task forces already exist in each of the cities cited to combat crime of all kinds?

Did Trump mobilize the members of the myriad of task forces after the looting and'or rioting took place? 

If not, WTF stopped him from doing so and why would deploying MORE Federal Agents from outside of the state matter? 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
2.1.2  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  TrumpFanOne @2.1    3 weeks ago

New York didn't need it because they handled it themselves. That is their right to do, if they can get it under control, which NY did.

JohnRussell
2.1.3  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  TrumpFanOne @2.1    3 weeks ago

was there a lot of rioting in New York? I must have missed it. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
2.1.4  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.3    3 weeks ago

There was not. We has some demonstrations and there was a bit of looting, but the police got it under control. 

FLYNAVY1
2.1.5  FLYNAVY1  replied to  TrumpFanOne @2.1    3 weeks ago

We didn't have demonstrations/protests/riots like this over the last six presidents, but we do now.... People with any mind at all can see what the change was that is at the root cause of all this.  30% of the country won't admit to what changed, but the facts and data are still there.

Violent crime has been steadily going DOWN for the past twenty years....

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2017/crime-in-the-u.s.-2017/topic-pages/tables/table-1

If it is going up, it's  been on Trump's watch.  

JohnRussell
2.1.6  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @2.1.5    3 weeks ago

They can't handle the truth. 

JohnRussell
2.1.7  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.1.4    3 weeks ago

I heard Gov Cuomo say that if Trump wants to walk down NY streets he better have an army of bodyguards with him.  

A little excessive maybe, but Trump provoked it with this defunding nonsense. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
2.1.8  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.7    3 weeks ago

I don't understand the context of that comment from Cuomo. 

TrumpFanOne
2.1.9  TrumpFanOne  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.1.4    3 weeks ago
there was a bit of looting,

Essentially emptying Macys 34St store, and many of the high end shops along 5th Avenue is "a bit"?   If that's your definition, I'd hate to see great deal.

TrumpFanOne
2.1.10  TrumpFanOne  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @2.1.5    3 weeks ago
We didn't have demonstrations/protests/riots like this over the last six presidents,

Fergurson, Baltimore, San Jose to name a few.   If I remember right, they were BEFORE Trump.

TrumpFanOne
2.1.11  TrumpFanOne  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.3    3 weeks ago
I must have missed it. 

You just ignored it.

JohnRussell
2.1.12  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.1.8    3 weeks ago

I think he was mad

TrumpFanOne
2.1.13  TrumpFanOne  replied to  Dulay @2.1.1    3 weeks ago
I could use some help. so perhaps you can answer some questions.

Do your own research. [deleted]

Paula Bartholomew
2.1.14  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.1.8    3 weeks ago

I do.

TrumpFanOne
2.1.15  TrumpFanOne  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.12    3 weeks ago
I think he was mad

Now was mad, IS mad...   but it's his psychological problem and needs professional help.  Maybe share a couch with his brother?

JohnRussell
2.1.16  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.1.8    3 weeks ago
Cuomo's office contested this portrayal, saying that the quote was being taken out of context. Jack Sterne, an administration spokesperson for Cuomo's office, told International Business Times in an email that "the context is not fully there in a lot of the reporting. The governor was actually pretty clear about this during the call."

Sterne pointed out that Cuomo circled back to the subject of the president needing bodyguards in New York City. 

"All I’m saying is that he is persona non grata in New York City and I think he knows that," Cuomo said according to the transcript of the briefing. "He’ll never come back to New York because New Yorkers will never forget how gratuitously mean he has been to them, and how many times he as tried to kill the city that gave him his start and birthed him. That’s what I meant."

https://www.ibtimes.com/will-trump-need-army-protect-him-new-york-cuomo-says-quote-out-context-3039720?ocid=uxbndlbing

FLYNAVY1
2.1.17  FLYNAVY1  replied to  TrumpFanOne @2.1.10    3 weeks ago

This many at the same time......?

And getting back to the root cause.....?   If you can't be honest with us here, at least I hope you can be honest with yourself.  

Not looking for a response from you, just hoping for some self reflection is all.  The truth is there for those that want to see it.

JohnRussell
2.1.18  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  TrumpFanOne @2.1.15    3 weeks ago

Andrew Cuomo is about 100 times the man Trump is.  

Perrie Halpern R.A.
2.1.19  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  TrumpFanOne @2.1.9    3 weeks ago

That all happened in a short period of time, just like what happened in Republican lead cities and in battleground states. It was gotten under control quickly. The "bit" was the period of time, not the damage. 

Sean Treacy
2.1.20  Sean Treacy  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.7    3 weeks ago

Is cuomo just channeling his fellow democrat Alexander Stephens  threatening  Lincoln? Sounds very similar. 

funny to think how upset you got over ordinary people mocking Obama in and now you so blithely dismiss an actual threat of violence towards the president by  a governor.

JohnRussell
2.1.21  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Sean Treacy @2.1.20    3 weeks ago

Unlike Trump, Cuomo rephrased his comments and walked it back.   When Trump threatens someone and is exposed, he just moves on to the next threat. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
2.1.22  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  TrumpFanOne @2.1.10    3 weeks ago

Obama owned his. Trump has to own his. 

TrumpFanOne
2.1.23  TrumpFanOne  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.1.22    3 weeks ago
Obama owned his

?????????????????????????????????????????    Laughable at best.

Owned his?  What and when?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
2.1.24  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  TrumpFanOne @2.1.23    3 weeks ago

You know what I mean, so don't give me the "Laughable at best."

What happens under a president's watch is on them.

Sean Treacy
2.1.25  Sean Treacy  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.1.22    3 weeks ago
Obama owned his

When did Captain Strawman own anything?  

Amazing how quickly people forgot.  

Dulay
2.1.26  Dulay  replied to  TrumpFanOne @2.1.13    3 weeks ago
Do your own research. 

Didn't you offer help? 

Why yes, YES you did. 

Guess you only meant that 'help' if it bolstered your agenda.  

Sadly, you don't seem to care what the answers are and I doubt that you'd even acknowledge that the answers to those questions are relevant to the topic.  

removed for context

Dulay
2.1.27  Dulay  replied to  TrumpFanOne @2.1.9    3 weeks ago

The NYPD made arrests [over 1000] and is prosecuting the perpetrators correct? 

The NYPD differentiates between anarchists, looters and protesters, correct? 

So DO explain how that makes NYC an 'anarchist jurisdiction". I'll wait. 

Paula Bartholomew
2.1.28  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.18    3 weeks ago

It is more like 10,000 times.

Paula Bartholomew
2.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  JohnRussell @2    3 weeks ago

He knows he is defeated so he is trying to create as much turmoil as he can for the next two months.

JohnRussell
2.2.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @2.2    3 weeks ago

thats all he ever does

TᵢG
2.2.2  TᵢG  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @2.2    3 weeks ago

I think that is true.   One can also make the same case for Trump sycophants.   I suspect the 'arguments' will grow increasingly shrill if the current trend continues (Trump losing).

Dismayed Patriot
2.2.3  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  TᵢG @2.2.2    3 weeks ago
I suspect the 'arguments' will grow increasingly shrill if the current trend continues (Trump losing).

Indeed, as will their fathomless denial as they continue to proclaim that dishonest Donald will somehow win by a landslide when virtually every poll shows exactly the opposite. But they will continue to cling to their bibles, guns and 2016 electoral college win as proof no polls should ever be trusted again, ever, unless it shows them in the lead...

TᵢG
2.2.4  TᵢG  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @2.2.3    3 weeks ago

It is interesting to observe the degree to which what one desires affects one’s objectivity.

Dulay
2.2.5  Dulay  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @2.2.3    3 weeks ago

Yep.

It's interesting that we haven't seen any seeds exalting Rasmussen polls of late.

It seems that even Rasmussen is seeing data showing that Trump's approval rating is falling and that Biden is ahead. 

JohnRussell
2.2.6  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @2.2    3 weeks ago

Trump is a true zero so it's hard to gauge those he is measured against.  10,000 sounds good too. 

Paula Bartholomew
3  Paula Bartholomew    3 weeks ago

Trump can threaten all he wants, but he can't do it because the money has already been appropriated.

TrumpFanOne
3.1  TrumpFanOne  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @3    3 weeks ago
already been appropriated.

APPROPRIATED is much different than distributed.

If the agencies have not yet sent a 'check', there's nothing forcing them to.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
3.1.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  TrumpFanOne @3.1    3 weeks ago

He can't do it. It would take Congress to do that and they are not going to do that. 

TrumpFanOne
3.1.2  TrumpFanOne  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.1.1    3 weeks ago
He can't do it. It would take Congress to do that and they are not going to do that. 

Congress appropriates, or allocates the funds which in turn the Agencies distribute.   The Agencies operate under the purview of the POTUS and disbursement can be held for as long as POTUS essentially desires.  Does that mean they will never get the funding?  No.  But it might not be when the recipient wants it.   It's really simple when you understand it.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
3.1.3  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  TrumpFanOne @3.1.2    3 weeks ago

I understand it fine.

Why can’t the president withhold federal money from states or cities?

The short answer is that Congress, not the White House, has ultimate power over the federal purse. The president’s   budget requests   may direct Congress how to allocate federal spending, but the matter is not entirely in his hands. And he has no authority to withhold or rescind spending that’s already been authorized.

Dulay
3.1.4  Dulay  replied to  TrumpFanOne @3.1.2    3 weeks ago
Does that mean they will never get the funding?  No.  But it might not be when the recipient wants it.   It's really simple when you understand it.

Yet ONE of the major things you need to understand is that it is September 3rd and the Federal governments FY ENDS on September 30th. All of the appropriations MUST be allocated by that date unless Congress passes a waiver. 

In short, Donny can't do shit about that funding going where it was appropriated to. 

Donny's toothless 'memo' is just another shinny object that Trump is trying to deflect with. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
3.1.5  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Dulay @3.1.4    3 weeks ago
Donny's toothless 'memo' is just another shinny object that Trump is trying to deflect with.

Yup. It's really for some of his followers to read and then misrepresent. We've seen this dog and pony show before. 

Kathleen
4  Kathleen    3 weeks ago

I was wondering why Cuomo said that Trump should not walk down the street unless he has an army.  What does he mean by that?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
4.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Kathleen @4    3 weeks ago

He was being sarcastic. Since Trump was threatening defunding NY wouldn't have the police money to protect him from the non-existent mobs.  

Kathleen
4.1.1  Kathleen  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @4.1    3 weeks ago

To be honest, I would not want to be near certain cities anyway. 

JohnRussell
4.2  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Kathleen @4    3 weeks ago

He just wants to see Trump wearing a snappy uniform.