╌>

Have you tried anything new lately?

Category:  Other

By:  msaubrey-aka-ahyoka  •  4 years ago  •  17 comments

Have you tried anything new lately?
Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new. Albert Einstein

A coworker of mine made some soaps for me and she told me where she shopped for the items to make it. I am now on a kick of making soaps, perfumes, body butters, and body washes. I make it a point to make these items without coconut oil [or the like], because it's VERY difficult to find any body or soap product that does not contain coconut in some way, shape or form and I personally cannot have anything with coconut oil [or the like]. I figure if someone wants to buy these things from me, I don't mind selling them, but I'm just fine with giving them for gifts or keeping them myself. It's something for my daughter and I to do together. Do you know how difficult it is to find something that a 17 year old girl likes doing? I'm lucky enough however, my kids enjoy doing things with me... even at 12 and 17. I must be doing something right. I even pointed out to my husband, that we are lucky in this way... I mean, how many teens [or tweens] WANT to hang out and play games with their parents? And it's not just our kids... it's their friends too. Maybe it's because we haven't forgotten what it's like to be that age; or maybe it's simply that we don't judge. Doesn't matter... we're lucky. Anyways... back to the point of the article.

Yes, it's kind of expensive, but not as expensive if you were to buy it already made; more specifically, in the amount of material I purchased to the amount it makes. I even found a "recipe" for making my own liquid laundry soap [from inexpensive bar soap], which is easily modified for powder soap... just don't add the water. 

POWDER LAUNDRY SOAP

Homemade Laundry Detergent

PREP   5   MINS

TOTAL   5   MINS

YIELD   32   OUNCES

Ingredients

Instructions

Thoroughly stir together for several minutes and enjoy the results! You can take this a step further and blend the mixture in a blender or food processor to create a powder that will dissolve easily even in cold water. (Just be sure to let the dust settle before removing the lid of your blender or food processor so you don’t inhale the fine particles.) Store in a sealed container with a small scoop.

Notes

Each batch yields approximately 32 ounces  (between 32-64 loads based on how many Tbsp used per load) .

Use 1 Tbsp per small load (or 2-3 Tbsp for large or heavily soiled loads).

Link for several recipes for liquid and powder laundry soap: https://tipnut.com/10-homemade-laundry-soap-detergent-recipes/

There's so many recipes for making your own whatever... I thought it was fun to try. I can at least make some goats milk bar soap or glycerin based soap that not only smells EXACTLY the way I want, but there's NO COCONUT in it! I did some research... again for all of this stuff. Chemistry Store is where I get the stuff I use to make my perfumes, soaps, body washes, etc. I use essential oils or high-end fragrance oils.

One of my favorites is the one on the left, which is "African Black" glycerin soap and cedar and sage essential oils... more cedar than sage, but I call it my "dude" soap or "wood" soap. It smells like fresh cut lumber. I don't know why, but I love it. The one in the center is a goat's milk soap with green coloring [made specifically for soaps], bergamot essential oil and bamboo fragrance oil; I can't wait to try it. The one on the right is the one my daughter wanted to make, which is aloe glycerin soap with orange coloring and honeysuckle fragrance oil.

So, have you tried anything new lately?

**NO POLITICS**

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
1  author  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)    4 years ago

I go down a "rabbit hole" looking at the items on chemistrystore.com.

Ender
Professor Principal
2  Ender    4 years ago

My sister tried making her own laundry detergent a while back. Think she got the recipe online. She wanted to save money.

After a couple on months my BIL told her no more as he said their clothes were starting to smell.  Haha

Not sure if it was just the recipe they used or maybe perfumes in commercial grade.

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
2.1  author  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Ender @2    4 years ago

That's why I added the link with several recipes. There's one that recommends using vinegar in the rinse cycle for any smell issues and no, the clothes don't come out smelling like vinegar. I think that front load washers have issues with mildew smell because people don't generally leave them open like many people do with top loaders. When they're left open, they dry out; when they're always closed after doing a load, they get a mildew smell. There's products out there dedicated to getting rid of the mildew smell and that happened after front loaders became a normal household item. I've never had a front loader and never plan to... unless top loaders are phased out of existence completely at some point.

Account Deleted
Freshman Silent
3  Account Deleted    4 years ago

Just a suggestion - don't try to use that blender for food products again. The plastic  will retain the odors - a Fels-Naptha vanilla shake leaves something to be desired.

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
3.1  author  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Account Deleted @3    4 years ago

I don't use a blender. I use a double boiler and liquify my soaps. jrSmiley_82_smiley_image.gif Cleaning a double boiler is easy peasy.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4  Trout Giggles    4 years ago

I ate something with spinach in it the other day. That's a start

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
4.1  author  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Trout Giggles @4    4 years ago

jrSmiley_86_smiley_image.gif

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
4.2  Freefaller  replied to  Trout Giggles @4    4 years ago

Lol, love spinach and have for years.  But then again I love liver as well so there may be something wrong with my tastebuds

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.2.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Freefaller @4.2    4 years ago

I bet you like cilantro, too, don't you?

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
4.2.2  Freefaller  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.2.1    4 years ago

Lol yep in small amounts, it adds a fresh taste to food.  Though I've had friends tell me it's awful.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.2.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  Freefaller @4.2.2    4 years ago

I think there's something wrong with my taste buds because the things that the majority of people love, I hate. Cilantro, for example, tastes like soap to me. And some people go way overboard on it.

I also hate:

Mayo

ranch dressing

sweet tea

blue cheese

I know I have a few more, but can't think of them right now

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
5  Just Jim NC TttH    4 years ago

Not lately but when I lived in Oklahoma, one of the guys that worked the oil rigs told me to get grease out of your clothes just add a Pepsi to the load. It worked.

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
5.1  Sunshine  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @5    4 years ago

My father would clean his his golf clubs with Coke.

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
5.1.2  Sunshine  replied to    4 years ago

Ha

JaneDoe
Sophomore Silent
6  JaneDoe    4 years ago

I haven’t tried this yet but have to admit I am a little curious.

Laundry stripping. Of course I will have to find the right music and a pole first. 😂

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
7  Freefaller    4 years ago

Back in the day when our combats started getting stinky during exercises we used to give them a quick wash in Naptha and them air dry them and they were good to go