╌>

Satanic Temple raises hell over rejected abortion billboards

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  freefaller  •  4 years ago  •  23 comments

Satanic Temple raises hell over rejected abortion billboards

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

The devil's advocates have joined the fight for abortion rights.The Satanic Temple is suing an ad agency for alleged religious discrimination after the firm refused to put up its pro-abortion rights billboards in Arkansas and Indiana.

a8a064.gif

The temple claims that Lamar Advertising is preventing it from sharing the details of its " religious abortion ritual ," which is seemingly designed to help women get around state barriers to the procedure. The temple says those who receive the abortion "sacrament" can claim a religious exemption from mandatory waiting periods, counselling and other state rules that make it more difficult to obtain a timely abortion.

The Satanic Temple does not believe in a god, but it is still listed as a tax-exempt religious organization in the United States. It describes its abortion "ritual" as a "sacramental act that confirms the rights of bodily autonomy." The Salem, Mass.-based "church" says it had a contract with Lamar to put up eight billboards to promote its ritual. Lamar refused to put up the billboards because it deemed them "misleading and offensive," according to the lawsuit. The temple says it was willing to make revisions, but Lamar refused to offer specific feedback for the revisions.

Three mock-ups released by the Satanic Temple feature the message: "Our religious abortion ritual averts many state restrictions." One image shows a woman holding a tiny Adolf Hitler alongside the caption: "What if abortion had been an option?" Another shows cake batter with the caption "Not a cake," and an embryo with the caption "Not a baby."

The Satanic Temple had sought to put up the billboards near crisis pregnancy centres in Arkansas and Indiana, which use state laws to restrict and delay access to abortions.

"While it is understandable to be concerned with forcing a private entity to engage in speech or conduct it objects to, this scenario is different," Satanic Temple co-founder Lucien Greaves said in a news release . "Lamar initially agreed to work with us and their rejection appears to be religiously based."

Greaves added that Lamar has a virtual "monopoly" in some areas. "In this way, Lamar is able to regulate public-speech and they are not permitted to selectively exclude religious voices they object to." The Louisiana-based ad agency did not immediately respond to an Associated Press request for comment.

Access to abortion remains a hotly contested topic at the federal and many state levels in the U.S. Abortions remain legal across the country, but speculation has ramped up recently that the Supreme Court will revisit the landmark Roe v. Wade case once a new conservative justice is appointed. Abortion opponents have long called for that case to be struck down.

The Satanic Temple describes itself as a "non-theistic movement aligned with liberty, equality and rationalism," according to Greaves. Its followers espouse many secular values, such as reproductive rights, individual freedoms and acting with compassion and empathy toward others. The Satanic Temple's followers do not actually believe in Satan.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
1  seeder  Freefaller    4 years ago

Another example of religious persecution.jrSmiley_68_smiley_image.png

Seriously though this religion is awesome using the law against religious law, it will be interesting to see what the courts rule (if it makes it that far)

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1  Texan1211  replied to  Freefaller @1    4 years ago

Seems as though Lamar is well within its rights to refuse advertising it deems unacceptable.

No religious persecution, because Lamar is doing nothing to stop them from practicing their religion.

If Lamar decided to not put up any anti-abortion ads, it would be the same reasoning.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
1.1.1  seeder  Freefaller  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1    4 years ago

Who  knows, anything is possible.  I do not believe I have anywhere near the legal expertise to proffer a personal opinion on the possible outcomes.

I just think this is awesome and somewhat funny 

Ender
Professor Principal
2  Ender    4 years ago

Fight fire with fire aye.

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.1  devangelical  replied to  Ender @2    4 years ago

the religious nuts really hate that ... tough shit.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
2.2  Gordy327  replied to  Ender @2    4 years ago
Fight fire with fire aye.

They've done it before with Baphomet displays next to religious ones (most notably the 10 Commandments) on public grounds.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
2.2.1  seeder  Freefaller  replied to  Gordy327 @2.2    4 years ago
They've done it before with Baphomet displays next to religious ones (most notably the 10 Commandments) on public grounds.

I remember, that was pretty cool as well

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
2.3  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Ender @2    4 years ago

Evangelicals really get pissed off when they have to face up to the reality that freedom of religion just doesn't mean their religion.  I just sit back and enjoy their attempted justification of rank hypocrisy in the matter.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.3.1  Texan1211  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @2.3    4 years ago
Evangelicals really get pissed off when they have to face up to the reality that freedom of religion just doesn't mean their religion. 

That must be true as evidenced by all the comments here from those type of people you claim would be pissed off.

/S

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
2.3.2  seeder  Freefaller  replied to  Texan1211 @2.3.1    4 years ago
That must be true as evidenced by all the comments here from those type of people you claim would be pissed off.

You mean the one NT mbr who is evangelical, he seems to be quite busy posting his own crap 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.3.3  Texan1211  replied to  Freefaller @2.3.2    4 years ago
You mean the one NT mbr who is evangelical, he seems to be quite busy posting his own crap

And I even bolded the sarcasm tag and made it larger.

SMH

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
2.3.4  seeder  Freefaller  replied to  Texan1211 @2.3.3    4 years ago

My apologies Tex I was unaware an S meant I couldn't add my humour to yours

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3  Texan1211    4 years ago

Interesting that some still confuse what a private company can do and what the government can do.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
3.1  Ozzwald  replied to  Texan1211 @3    4 years ago

Interesting that some still confuse what a private company can do and what the government can do.

Are private companies allowed to discriminate because of religion Texan???

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.1  Texan1211  replied to  Ozzwald @3.1    4 years ago

Are they?

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
3.1.2  Ozzwald  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.1    4 years ago

Are they?

Once again running away from answering the question?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.3  Texan1211  replied to  Ozzwald @3.1.2    4 years ago

Are you?

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
3.1.4  Ozzwald  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.3    4 years ago

Are you?

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4  Trout Giggles    4 years ago

I amost missed this seed, Freefaller, with all the trmp has COVID seeds.

I saw this on a Face Book group I belong to "Americans against Christian Nationalism"

Lamar is a big billboard presence here in Arkansas and I've seen so many anti-choice billboards and pretty much the same ones on my way to work every day.

I hope that the Satanic Temple can put the First Amendment to good use and get their place on America's highways

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
4.1  Ronin2  replied to  Trout Giggles @4    4 years ago

Wishful thinking. Lamar doesn't have to post their BS, or anyone else's if they don't agree with it. Confusing private business property with free speech. The "Satanic Temple's" free speech ends where Lamar's property begins.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Ronin2 @4.1    4 years ago

I sure fucking hope you remember that the next time a more liberal company doesn't want to advertise or deal with some conservative bullshit

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
4.2  seeder  Freefaller  replied to  Trout Giggles @4    4 years ago
I amost missed this seed, Freefaller, with all the trmp has COVID seeds

No probs Trout, I saw all Covid and political crap and just went out and found something I thought was funny to change it up.

Account Deleted
Freshman Silent
5  Account Deleted    4 years ago

They can give it a try but Masterpiece Cakeshop, Ltd v. Colorado Civil Rights Commission  probably applies. That was a 7-2 decision.

They might have better luck trying to break up  Lamar as a monopoly.