╌>

Ancient Archery - Lars Andersen: a new level of archery - an astounding video by a modern archer using ancient techniques.

Category:  Fields and Streams

Via:  nigel-dogberry  •  9 years ago  •  19 comments

Ancient Archery - Lars Andersen: a new level of archery - an astounding video by a modern archer using ancient techniques.

I saw this on the vine and thought I would share it here.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent
link   Petey Coober    9 years ago

This was quite amazing and real . By contrast this : is merely fiction .

Nona62
Professor Silent
link   Nona62    9 years ago

WOW! VERY impressive! I can't imagine the hours he puts into archery. Great video...thanks.

Broliver "TheSquirrel" Stagnasty
Freshman Silent
link   Broliver "TheSquirrel" Stagnasty    9 years ago

Cool!!!

Must be independently wealthy to have the time to practice....

Nigel Dogberry
Freshman Silent
link   seeder  Nigel Dogberry    9 years ago

Few on the planet can ever attain his level of dexterity and speed. What an amazing man with great skill. That should be an Olympic sport.

Nigel Dogberry
Freshman Silent

He makes Bruce Lee look like school kid, doesn't he? Amazing guy.

Nona62
Professor Silent

He makes Bruce Lee look like school kid, doesn't he? He sure does!

Nigel Dogberry
Freshman Silent

If they had The Arrow doing stuff like this, viewers would say the show is too fake. I like The Arrow's gadgets.

Nigel Dogberry
Freshman Silent

I would bet he doesn't sit around on the internet all day. *Nigel kicks himself for being on the internet too much*

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
link   1stwarrior    9 years ago

OMG.

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
link   Nowhere Man    9 years ago

I don't know if any American Indians reached that level of skill, I suspect some of them did. But the Japanese Samurai did, it was specific training and required learning.

Can you imagine doing this with an english longbow? Massed that would be a very powerful weapon to have on your side.

Nona62
Professor Silent

lol Be careful where you kick...

Nigel Dogberry
Freshman Silent

You couldn't do this with an English Longbow - that's what I learned archery on. The long bow is a long distance bow and at 180 lbs, you just can't draw it that fast. I was reading up on this guy and the bow he is using is about 35 to 40 lbs which would allow a faster draw. I'm having trouble figuring out how he gets an arrow nocked that fast. Special nocks?

This guy must be an Elf from one of Tolkien's stories. He lives in the right part of the world to be an Elf.

Nigel Dogberry
Freshman Silent

I'd want him on my side in a battle. OMG is right.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
link   Bob Nelson    9 years ago

Wow.

Wow.

WOW!!

Nigel Dogberry
Freshman Silent

Nowhere, the only Kyudo I have seen have been demonstrations of contemplative practice, a form of Zen meditation. I didn't know the Samurai were shooting this fast.

Funny thing, at a local demonstration of Kyudo by Japanese Masters a while back, the archers kept missing the bulls eye. The frustration levels were pretty funny to watch - frustrated masters are so wonderful, ya know. What they hadn't taken into consideration was the 5,678 feet elevation. They were used to practice at sea level and the arrows fly differently in this thin air. hee hee hee.

In Kyudo, the archer does place the arrow on the same side of the bow as Lars does - on the right side.

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
link   Larry Hampton    9 years ago

First off, HOLY SHIT!

Secondly, it brings the ancient battlefield into a whole new perspective. A squadron of these archers would more resemble an assault team, rather than a support or sniper team. they would be completely kick-ass.

Thanks for the sweet video Nigel.

Nigel Dogberry
Freshman Silent

Even with his 35 to 40 lb bow he could penetrate chain mail. I was surprised. In battle you don't have to kill the enemy. Wounding them was sufficient and it might take days or weeks to die.

Nona62
Professor Silent

That's just mean!! Tongue.gif Tongue.gif It' not nice to hurt people!!