╌>

Coronavirus: Health experts join global anti-lockdown movement

Category:  Health, Science & Technology

Via:  baron-creek  •  4 years ago  •  16 comments

By:   BBC

Coronavirus: Health experts join global anti-lockdown movement
Thousands of scientists and health experts have joined a global movement warning of "grave concerns" about Covid-19 lockdown policies.

Herein lies the problem, imo. There are scientists and there is science and frankly... many fields of science. In this case we have scientists declaring the dangers of current lockdown procedures, which will be greeted with joy by one side of the political spectrum, while being denigrated by the other side of the political spectrum. Frankly, I think all the scientists are correct in their respective opinions/fields about potential problems, but their respective recommendations sometimes run afoul of each other and all tend to run up against hard cold economics, imo. Einstein was a brilliant theoretical Physicist, but I don't recall him ever being lauded as a great brain surgeon (and frankly... from some of his pictures, I wouldn't want him anywhere near me with a knife). 

Covid-19 is both an issue for the scientific community to give us guidance, but also an economic issue that must be addressed. Until some field of science can develop a system of fully automated and free food delivery directly into our home, then people will have to pay for the food, which means some form of income. In that respect... every job is essential.

I am fortunate enough and have the means to basically stay at home and only leave home for curbside services. Not eveyone has that option. There are many with pre-existing conditions that are still in the workforce, or don't have access to curbside services, etc. BTW... home delivery is not really free, so low income people with pre-existing conditions may not be able to afford delivery.

In any case, until science comes up with a cure or a sure-fire vaccine or even if herd immunity is even possible, economics will play a major role in Covid-19.

I've said my 2¢ worth on the matter. 

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Nearly 6,000 experts, including dozens from the UK, say the approach is having a devastating impact on physical and mental health as well as society.

They are calling for protection to be focused on the vulnerable, while healthy people get on with their lives.

The declaration has prompted warnings by others in the scientific community.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Baron Creek
Junior Quiet
1  seeder  Baron Creek    4 years ago

There is no one size fits all solution, imo

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.1  XXJefferson51  replied to  Baron Creek @1    4 years ago

Exactly.  I seeded about this yesterday and they are right. The lockdowns were a big mistake that can never be repeated and will never be complied with even if a president Biden mandates it.  One size fits all solutions are not solutions to anything.  Each county and city should act based on local needs as allowable under the constitution.  These doctors are right.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.2  XXJefferson51  replied to  Baron Creek @1    4 years ago

Baron Creek
Junior Quiet
1.2.1  seeder  Baron Creek  replied to  XXJefferson51 @1.2    4 years ago

It's always nice to have someone else to blame, but most of our ills are self inflicted, imo. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2  Buzz of the Orient    4 years ago

Sure thng. Open up. Patchwork adherence doesn't work anyway so what the hell.  As the James Bond movie is entitiled: "Live and Let Die".

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3  Tessylo    4 years ago

They're no expert(s) if they're against common sense measures.  

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
4  bbl-1    4 years ago

Hmmm.  This group of 'Health Experts' are slyly using the COVID excuse to address population control or natural selection?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5  Buzz of the Orient    4 years ago

The reason America is doomed.....

BB19PYSK.img?h=450&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
5.1  XXJefferson51  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5    4 years ago

That strong will and liberty based rights are what differentiate our two societies and why ours will prevail.  

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  XXJefferson51 @5.1    4 years ago

Well, good luck to you....

BLQ77EK3Z5E4TKJXFR2NNBGTGE.jpg

Kavika
Professor Principal
5.1.2  Kavika   replied to  XXJefferson51 @5.1    4 years ago

Yesterday day 56,191 new COVID cases and 961 deaths.

But no worries, COVID is like the flu, it will disappear like magic.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.1.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Kavika @5.1.2    4 years ago

It'll be a miracle.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1.4  Tessylo  replied to  Kavika @5.1.2    4 years ago

And the 'president' is back to lying and saying the flu is more deadly than Co-vid 19

Tacos!
Professor Guide
6  Tacos!    4 years ago

Many people seem to have lost sight of the fact that there are many factors to consider when making policy decisions. The virus is not the only thing we should care about.

We could stop the virus by locking everybody up. We could stop lots of diseases that way.

We could also stop all traffic accidents by outlawing cars. End pollution by outlawing industry. End North Korea by nuking it. But we don't do any of those things because they have consequences we are unwilling to accept as a society. 

And so responses to the virus have differed by type and degree around the country and around the world. Like any other policy issue it is reasonable to keep an open mind, reassess the results of our actions, and be open to taking different actions. 

A limited response to the virus saves some lives, but not all of them. You could always save more, but you might not like how we do it. In the meantime, people are suffering because of the steps we have taken. We should not close our eyes to that reality.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
6.1  Snuffy  replied to  Tacos! @6    4 years ago
Like any other policy issue it is reasonable to keep an open mind, reassess the results of our actions, and be open to taking different actions. 

This is so correct. I just wish the world worked that way. Far too many people are locked into tribal politics that prevent this. There are a lot of reasons for this manner of thinking I believe, where so many people look for that 'silver bullet' that will fix the issue and just seem to refuse any other thoughts on the topic.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
7  XXJefferson51    4 years ago