Category:  News & Politics

Via:  tessylo  •  4 years ago  •  29 comments

By:   Reuters

'Trump country' now leads in COVID-19 cases, deaths

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Reuters

'Trump country' now leads in COVID-19 cases, deaths

Tue, October 27, 2020, 10:42 AM EDT

What was once proclaimed to be a "blue state" problem by President Donald Trump, the wave of coronavirus cases in America is now crashing squarely into states that supported him in 2016. A Reuters tally shows cases of the novel coronavirus doubled in the state of Wisconsin last week. They're rising in Florida, Texas, Ohio, and the Dakotas. Back in the spring, the densely-populated cities of the Northeast and West Coast were hit hardest, and responded with strident lockdown measures. Other states followed, but by Memorial Day, many Midwestern and Southern states lifted restrictions and so no immediate uptick in virus cases. The Republican president even chided that the coronavirus was a Democratic, 'blue state' problem - and urged those areas to restore economic activity. "If you take the blue states out we are at a level that I don't think any of more than the world would be at. We are at a very low level. But some of the states they were blue states. Blue state management. By the way we recommend they open up their states." Several Republican-led states followed the president in bucking mitigation measures. But by midsummer outbreaks spread in the South before moving this fall into in the upper Midwest. And now, it is squarely a "Trump country" issue. Trump argues that case numbers are inflated by the growth of testing. But these so-called Trump states also have closed the gap when it comes to deaths. By October these states eclipsed the rest of the country in total COVID-19 deaths, and the number of fatalities continues to grow faster in those areas with a week to go before Election Day.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Tessylo    4 years ago

Several Republican-led states followed the president in bucking mitigation measures. But by midsummer outbreaks spread in the South before moving this fall into in the upper Midwest. And now, it is squarely a "Trump country" issue. Trump argues that case numbers are inflated by the growth of testing. But these so-called Trump states also have closed the gap when it comes to deaths. By October these states eclipsed the rest of the country in total COVID-19 deaths, and the number of fatalities continues to grow faster in those areas with a week to go before Election Day.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2  Bob Nelson    4 years ago

Logical. 

No masks and no distancing leads to lots of cases. We KNOW that. So this "news" really isn't. It was just a question of time. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Bob Nelson @2    4 years ago

All those superspreader 'rallies', I'M SHOCKED!

cjcold
Professor Quiet
2.2  cjcold  replied to  Bob Nelson @2    4 years ago
Logical. 

Inevitable. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
3  Sean Treacy    4 years ago

France is Trump country?

Who knew?

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
3.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Sean Treacy @3    4 years ago

And I am going to have to look up these so called cases in Trump country surpassing the rest of the states. Ain't buying it. And one must know what other states are considered "Trump Country" as a whole. I think we need a full list of what the author considers all that Trump country. I'll let you know what I find.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
3.1.1  Sean Treacy  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @3.1    4 years ago
se so called cases in Trump country surpassing the rest of the states.

Illinois, one of bluest of blue states who supposedly did everything right, set a record with over 6,000 cases today.  50% more than Florida, which supposedly did everything wrong.

These arguments are so stupid and easy to refute..

GaJenn78
Sophomore Silent
3.1.2  GaJenn78  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @3.1    4 years ago

Also a list of the cities. I'm in Ga, considered "Trump Country". I work for a major hospital system here and our numbers are down. I get daily emails regarding Covid.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
3.1.3  cjcold  replied to  Sean Treacy @3.1.1    4 years ago

There are many more logistical aspects to consider than blue/red states.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
3.1.4  Sean Treacy  replied to  cjcold @3.1.3    4 years ago
e many more logistical aspects to consider than blue/red states

Yes, I agree. There are multiple variables that come into play, including luck.  It would be nice if,  nine months into a global epidemic, the discussion could evolve beyond orange man bad. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.5  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  GaJenn78 @3.1.2    4 years ago

Good for you and Georgia

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.6  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Sean Treacy @3.1.4    4 years ago
"the discussion could evolve beyond orange man bad."

The truth hurts I know.  Orange bad man is responsible for over 200,000 deaths.

GaJenn78
Sophomore Silent
3.1.7  GaJenn78  replied to  Tessylo @3.1.5    4 years ago

[deleted]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.8  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  GaJenn78 @3.1.7    4 years ago
Removed for context

This is my article and I am going to comment to whoever comments on it.  You are welcome not to comment.  Got it?

You cannot tell me to not comment to someone on my article.

Again, you are welcome not to comment at all on my article.  GOT IT?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.2  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Sean Treacy @3    4 years ago

We're not talking about France.  We're talking about the U.S.

Deflect much?

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
3.2.1  Sean Treacy  replied to  Tessylo @3.2    4 years ago

France has twice  the daily reported  cases the USA does,  with a much higher positivity rate. So the actual difference is much higher than captured in official counts.

The idea that Trump or (Trump country) is somehow uniquely responsible for the spread of the virus is idiotic. Last time I checked, Europe is not Trump Country and the virus is spreading much more rapidly there than in Trump country. Sorry your post can't withstand any logical scrutiny. 

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
3.2.2  Bob Nelson  replied to  Sean Treacy @3.2.1    4 years ago

Your fixation is worrisome, Sean... 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
3.2.3  Sean Treacy  replied to  Bob Nelson @3.2.2    4 years ago
ur fixation is worrisome, Sean

I'm worried about Orange man bad syndrome.  With all the evidence out there, to still be playing the  silly orange man bad game and blaming him or "Trump states"  for the spread of a disease is just sad. 

I get politicizing the virus is Democrats bread and butter, but with the election here, maybe you can start addressing reality?  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.2.4  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Sean Treacy @3.2.3    4 years ago
"With all the evidence out there, to still be playing the  silly orange man bad game and blaming him or "Trump states"  for the spread of a disease is just sad.  I get politicizing the virus is Democrats bread and butter, but with the election here, maybe you can start addressing reality?" 

It was/is your 'president' blaming all the ills of the world on blue states, including Co-vid 19.  

It was/is your 'president' who has been politicizing Co-vid 19.

He is responsible for 200,000 dead.

We have been addressing reality.  It's tRump and his supporters who are denying it.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.2.5  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Sean Treacy @3.2.1    4 years ago

What is the population of France compared to the U.S.?

France is approximately 551,500 sq km, while United States is approximately 9,833,517 sq km, making United States 1,683% larger than France. Meanwhile, the population of France is ~67.8 million people (264.8 million more people live in United States).

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
3.2.6  Bob Nelson  replied to  Sean Treacy @3.2.3    4 years ago
I'm worried about Orange man bad syndrome.

Please let me correct my previous... 

"Your fixation and your projection are worrisome." 

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
4  Hal A. Lujah    4 years ago

Waiting for Trump to say they caught it from blue states.  It will change from the China virus to the Blue State virus.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5  seeder  Tessylo    4 years ago

"I'll let you know what I find."

Knock yourself out but you'll have to post your own article on whatever you find JJ.  

Tacos!
Professor Guide
6  Tacos!    4 years ago
What was once proclaimed to be a "blue state" problem by President Donald Trump, the wave of coronavirus cases in America is now crashing squarely into states that supported him in 2016.

Yep! Those blue state governments were irresponsible and failed to control the virus when they had the chance. Instead of dealing with the problem, they focused on politicizing it, blaming others while they sat on their hands. Now the rest of America is paying the price for their incompetence and recklessness. They were glad to sit around and watch people die so they could take over in Washington.

only partly /s

Split Personality
Professor Guide
6.1  Split Personality  replied to  Tacos! @6    4 years ago
They were glad to sit around and watch people die so they could take over in Washington.

That's just ridiculous to say or repeat.

Meanwhile everyone loses. 

The market lost another 3.6% in value today as the market reacts to the COVID surge and McConnell's

announcement that stimulus will not happen before the election.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
7  Ronin2    4 years ago

Seems the author can't do simple research. Blue states still lead the way for death rates from Covid 19. Seems cramming people that tested positive for Covid into retirement and nursing homes that had no way to care for them was a really, really, bad thing.

As we all know CA is the deepest red state in the US. They must be since they leading the way in # of people contracting Covid 19.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
7.1  Split Personality  replied to  Ronin2 @7    4 years ago

Yeah it's a laugh riot describing Americans as either red state of blue state while pointing the fickle finger at them.

Meanwhile dead is dead.

smh.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7.1.1  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Split Personality @7.1    4 years ago

jrSmiley_98_smiley_image.gif

Kavika
Professor Principal
7.2  Kavika   replied to  Ronin2 @7    4 years ago
As we all know CA is the deepest red state in the US. They must be since they leading the way in # of people contracting Covid 19.

Not unexpected since CA is the largest state by population, 40 million people. 

A much better gauge to judge by is the number of cases per 100,000 population. 

CA. has 2319 cases per 100k.

Now if you want to look at red states, TX 3120 cases per 100k. Florida 3166 cases per 100k. 

Quite a difference. Take a look at the link and you can verify those numbers. In fact, red states lead the way with the top 15 states.

Cheers