╌>

GOP Congressman Who Voted To Impeach Trump Says He Will Buy Body Armor Because He Fears For His Life

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  krishna  •  3 years ago  •  15 comments

By:   Jack Brewster

GOP Congressman Who Voted To Impeach Trump Says He Will Buy Body Armor Because He Fears For His Life
Numerous Republicans who wanted to impeach Trump privately told Politico they decided against doing so because they did not want their families to be targeted.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Rep.-elect Peter Meijer (R-MI) - Photo by Sarah Silbiger/Getty Images

“Our expectation is that someone may try and kill us,” Meijer told MSNBC.

Meijer said he and other GOP members were making “preparations” to ensure their safety, including altering their routines and purchasing body armor, which is a reimbursable expense for members of Congress, according to the Capitol police.

“It’s sad that we have to get to that point,” Meijer went on. 

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Krishna
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Krishna    3 years ago

Asked if he was worried about the threats to his life after the vote Wednesday, Meijer told CNN he was, but that he was not going to let it “sway” his “decision.” “I think if we give the insurrectionists veto, then we lose something in this country and I won't let that happen."

Krishna
Professor Expert
2  seeder  Krishna    3 years ago

Along with Meijer, the  10 Republicans  to vote to impeach Trump are: Reps. John Katko of New York, Liz Cheney of Wyoming, Adam Kinzinger of Illinois, Fred Upton of Michigan, Jaime Herrera Beutler of Washington, Dan Newhouse of Washington, Tom Rice of South Carolina, Anthony Gonzalez of Ohio, and David Valadao of California.

Krishna
Professor Expert
3  seeder  Krishna    3 years ago

SURPRISING FACT

Before the vote Wednesday, Rep. Jason Crow (D-Colo.) claimed more Republicans would have joined Democrats in impeaching Trump had they not been “paralyzed with fear” about the threats to their lives.

“I had a lot of conversations with my Republican colleagues last night, and a couple of them broke down in tears — saying that they are afraid for their lives if they vote for this impeachment,” Crow   told   MSNBC.

Numerous Republicans who wanted to impeach Trump privately   told   Politico   they decided against doing so because they did not want their families to be targeted. 

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
3.1  Raven Wing  replied to  Krishna @3    3 years ago
been “paralyzed with fear” about the threats to their lives.

Most intelligent people who have seen and heard Trump and his blatant and subliminal statements about those who vote to impeach him leaves them in no doubt at all that their lives, and those of their family, are mere disposable goods to Trump, who only values his own life and Ivanka's, and even her life may become useless to him at some point.

So yes, I'd say that they have a right to fear for their life and those of their family if they take a slight wrong move according to Trump and his henchmen. 

Sounds sort of like the 'protection' money demanded by the Mafia, and if not paid, the poor soul who they say owes it will lose his life and that of his family, so they are scared to death not to pay it.

So the lawmakers who do not dance to music of the Trump Mafia will find themselves in the same kind of life threatening situation. 

THis tactic is a lesson Trump learned at his Father's knee, and such lessons he learned very well, and has applied those lessons throughout his life.  TIme for his fear tactics to end. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.1.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Raven Wing @3.1    3 years ago

What I'm afraid of is that, just as was the case with the Mafia, the tactics will work.

When the Senate votes on whether or not to c convict Trump, at least a few Republicans who wanted to vote "yes" will vote no-- and Trump will not be convicted.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
3.1.2  Raven Wing  replied to  Krishna @3.1.1    3 years ago
and Trump will not be convicted.

I don't think that will be the case. I think there will enough Senators who will be brave enough to vote to convict him. Americans can't be afraid to stand up to these Traitors and do the right thing. What if all our military men and women were afraid to face the enemy and just cowered in a corner somewhere and hid from them, or didn't think America was worthy of standing up to protect America, our people and our democracy. Where would America and its people be if the colonists were afraid to risk their lives to fight against the British to win our independence as a country? 

It does not change just because they are high-falutin Lawmakers. They are the protectors of our democracy and government, so they have a duty to stand up and be counted in favor of doing what is right for America. And make Trump pay the price he earned by his words and deeds. His life is no more sacred than those who died on January 6, 2021 to protect the house of our government and democracy.

And if McConnell is man enough to honor his saying he would seriously consider voting to convict Trump, he will set the example for the others to follow. If not, then he is not an honorable man and can't be trusted to put his actions where is mouth is. Which would not be surprising.

JMOO

Drakkonis
Professor Guide
3.2  Drakkonis  replied to  Krishna @3    3 years ago
“I had a lot of conversations with my Republican colleagues last night, and a couple of them broke down in tears — saying that they are afraid for their lives if they vote for this impeachment,” Crow   told   MSNBC.

When I hear something like this, I tend to ignore it as non-information. There is no way to tell if this is truth or simply something said to serve a narrative. 

Numerous Republicans who wanted to impeach Trump privately told Politico they decided against doing so because they did not want their families to be targeted.

Same thing again. There's no way to fact check it. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.2.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Drakkonis @3.2    3 years ago
When I hear something like this, I tend to ignore it as non-information. There is no way to tell if this is truth or simply something said to serve a narrative. 

And I suppose you would also claim that this story is also "fake news"?

'Kill Him With His Own Gun': Officers Recount Terror Of Being Attacked By Pro-Trump Capitol Mob

Drakkonis
Professor Guide
3.2.2  Drakkonis  replied to  Krishna @3.2.1    3 years ago
And I suppose you would also claim that this story is also "fake news"?

I didn't claim the first one was fake news. I said I tend to ignore them because  it isn't verifiable unless the guy names names and those names corroborate the guy's story.  

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
3.2.3  Thrawn 31  replied to  Drakkonis @3.2.2    3 years ago

Unfortunately this is how the news operates in a lot of cases, because sources don't want to be exposed for fear of threats, being fired etc. You really just have to go on the reputation of the reporting source. I find the best way to do that is by seeing how often a source issues corrections when what they report is proven to be inaccurate or flat out false. 

Drakkonis
Professor Guide
3.2.4  Drakkonis  replied to  Thrawn 31 @3.2.3    3 years ago

Sounds reasonable, but my preferred method for news I'm really interested in is to find as many sources of coverage from both sides as I can. Look for the details that don't change or details one side leaves out. Try to recognize what is rhetoric or an obvious attempt to influence my perception of an event. For instance, if an article that is talking about what happened at the Capital and a sentence like "The insurrection at the Capital (something something something) appears I ignore the insurrection as rhetoric. Doing so would not indicate that I think it was or wasn't insurrection. It would simply be that insurrection, in my opinion, is a verdict resulting from a court case. I see journalists sticking it in their article as an attempt to influence my opinion until it has been adjudicated to be actual insurrection. 

And, I misspoke when I said I "ignore" because they aren't verifiable. I don't actually ignore it in the sense I dismiss it. I keep it in mind in case something comes up later that either supports or denies the claim. Instead of saying "ignore" I should have said I don't take it as true because it can't be verified. That also would include I don't consider it false, either. But I wouldn't use this guy's claims in an argument to support whatever point I was trying to make because I don't know if it is true or false. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4  Buzz of the Orient    3 years ago

So in America, the bastion of free speech, even lawmakers fear for their lives if they say what they think.

“It’s sad that we have to get to that point,” Meijer went on.

Interesting, isn't it, that Americans, including members of NT, mock the fact that in China it is risky to be critical of Xi Zinping.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
5  Hal A. Lujah    3 years ago

I predict an increase in sales of armor piercing ammo.

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @5    3 years ago
I predict an increase in sales of armor piercing ammo.

And there's no where they can hide-- not even on the Subway!!!

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
6  Thrawn 31    3 years ago

Don't expect any sympathy form me, this is what happens when you appeal to and encourage extremist idiots like an asshole. They have brought this on themselves. I would like to think that maybe this would cause these people to take a step back and say to themselves "huh, maybe it isn't a good idea to encourage people's worst instincts..." but I know that won't happen because their own personal greed will overrule the lesson history has taught countless times.