╌>

Body of slain Capitol Police officer lies in state at Capitol rotunda

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  krishna  •  3 years ago  •  31 comments

By:   AP

Body of slain Capitol Police officer lies in state at Capitol rotunda
Lawmakers will pay tribute to Brian Sicknick, who was killed in Capitol siege, with memorial Wednesday

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

President Joe Biden and first lady Jill Biden pay their respects to late U.S. Capitol Police officer Brian Sicknick, as his remains lie in honor in the Capitol Rotunda on Tuesday night.   AFP VIA GETTY IMAGES

WASHINGTON — Slain Capitol Police Officer Brian Sicknick was lying in honor in the U.S. Capitol on Tuesday evening, allowing his colleagues and the lawmakers he protected to pay their respects and to remember the violent attack on Congress that took his life.

Sicknick died after defending the Capitol on Jan. 6 against the mob that stormed the building and interrupted the electoral count after then-President Donald Trump urged supporters on the National Mall to “fight like hell” to overturn his defeat. The U.S. Capitol Police said in a statement that Sicknick, who died the next day, was injured “while physically engaging with protesters,” though a final cause of death has not yet been determined.

The arrival of Sicknick’s remains at 9:30 p.m. was solemn, with dozens of Capitol Police standing at attention as his urn was carried up the Capitol steps. There was a viewing period for Capitol Police overnight, and lawmakers were to pay tribute at a ceremony Wednesday morning. A ceremonial departure for Arlington National Cemetery was planned later in the day.

Members of Congress remain shaken by the attack and are grappling with what it means not only for the future of the country, but for their own security as elected representatives. While lawmakers were united in denouncing the riots, and Trump’s role in them, the parties are now largely split on how to move forward.

Sicknick, 42, of South River, New Jersey, enlisted in the National Guard six months after graduating high school in 1997, then deployed to Saudi Arabia and later Kyrgyzstan. He joined the Capitol Police in 2008. Like many Capitol Police officers, he often worked security in the Capitol itself and was known to lawmakers, staff and others who passed through the building’s doors each morning.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Krishna
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Krishna    3 years ago

WASHINGTON — Slain Capitol Police Officer Brian Sicknick was lying in honor in the U.S. Capitol on Tuesday evening, allowing his colleagues and the lawmakers he protected to pay their respects and to remember the violent attack on Congress that took his life.

Sicknick died after defending the Capitol on Jan. 6 against the mob that stormed the building and interrupted the electoral count after then-President Donald Trump urged supporters on the National Mall to “fight like hell” to overturn his defeat. 

And fight like hell they did!

Krishna
Professor Expert
2  seeder  Krishna    3 years ago

Members of Congress remain shaken by the attack and are grappling with what it means not only for the future of the country, but for their own security as elected representatives. While lawmakers were united in denouncing the riots, and Trump’s role in them, the parties are now largely split on how to move forward.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
2.1  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Krishna @2    3 years ago
Members of Congress remain shaken by the attack and are grappling with what it means not only for the future of the country, but for their own security as elected representatives.

members of congress are sacrosanct? they should be rattled at the least IMHO, sitting in marbled halls in an ivory tower and supposedly untouchable , makes for a recipe that they face no repercussion past not being elected again . 

let them face the  reality that the people see they face every day not behind some protected wall they fund for themselves and themselves alone unavailable to the common person in their every day life

End comment is they are not the only ones deserving of  protection , nor are they some special group deserving of more protection because of elected office .

Krishna
Professor Expert
3  seeder  Krishna    3 years ago

Sicknick, 42, of South River, New Jersey, enlisted in the National Guard six months after graduating high school in 1997, then deployed to Saudi Arabia and later Kyrgyzstan.

He joined the Capitol Police in 2008. Like many Capitol Police officers, he often worked security in the Capitol itself and was known to lawmakers, staff and others who passed through the building’s doors each morning.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4  Buzz of the Orient    3 years ago

Tremendously outnumbered by Trump's militia, the Incitor in Chiief will walk away free because of his obedient sheep.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
4.1  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4    3 years ago
Tremendously outnumbered by Trump's militia,

care to name whom that "militia" is ?

or could it simply be people that disagreed with the election outcome , and chose to forment their own plans  to circumvent ( to disasterous results ) that they actually had no right to imply on the system set up? 

as for trump walking , court of public opinion has convicted him already, no surprise there , now comes the time to prove he had a hand in actually formenting and planning it ahead of time .  hard sell with no real tangble proof since the investigative agencies have said the capitol attack was already pre planned without trumps knowledge .

those saying they will testify against trump because of his speech are simply looking for an out since there was no blanket pardon.

personally i wouldnt trust a guy who wears animal furs in public , and is better fit for some toxic masulinity , bonding ritual where they beat on drums and chant .

no mistake , those that stormed the capitol on the 6th were right wing , but they were simply anarchists who were not pleased things did not go their way , in other words spoiled little brats who didnt get their participation trophy and will now individually be punished according to how badly they behaved . i really dont know any other country that would put up with that type of shit.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @4.1    3 years ago

Speaking as a person who once owned and proudly wore the most beautiful raccoon coat ever made, IMO his fraud accusations, his claims of the election being stolen from him, his lawsuits, his attempts to have election results falsified were FODDER that CAUSED the preplanning of the January 6 insurrection, so he WAS the initial cause of it.  And don't give me your First Amendment excuse - he deliberately shouted 'FIRE' in a crowded theatre - knew damn well what he was doing. 

You really don't know any other country that would put up with that kind of shit?  That's right, Mark, because there have been a lot of examples of other countries that have NOT put up with that kind of shit, even when it has been encouraged by America.

CB
Professor Principal
5  CB    3 years ago

Tremendous moment for this country. Rest In Peace, Mr. Sicknick. Salute.

Kavika
Professor Principal
6  Kavika     3 years ago

It's hard to wrap one's head around the fact that shortly after the insurrection and the death of Mr. Sicknick the 140 congress members voted not to certify Biden's presidential win. These were the same cowards that Sicknick gave his life to defend.

RIP.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
6.1  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Kavika @6    3 years ago
It's hard to wrap one's head around the fact that shortly after the insurrection and the death of Mr. Sicknick the 140 congress members voted not to certify Biden's presidential win.

IF they had any doubts ( justified or not) it was their duty to those that elected them to not certify any results until a complete investigation was completed

cowards? i dont think so , they at least even with their objections attempted to keep the results legitimate and honest  within the system afforded to them with what little ability they had, we all already know the end result anyway , bidens in office. in other words the fat lady has sung and finished her part.

i accepted the results on the 6th when things were certified , which was the actual end of the entire election process, others might want to do the same , they of course are free to take their own actions to either support or oppose those results at their own peril.

i already know what im doing.

Krishna
Professor Expert
7  seeder  Krishna    3 years ago

BTW I had heard that some police officers were injured (and that was about it).

Recently its come out that many were -- a few very seriously. 

And one thing that made it worse-- for riots, mob control, etc they should've been issued helmets but weren't-- so unsurprisingly there were some serious head injuries. 

(More details will apparently be coming out soon).

pat wilson
Professor Participates
7.1  pat wilson  replied to  Krishna @7    3 years ago

Two Capitol police have since committed suicide. So sad.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
7.1.1  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  pat wilson @7.1    3 years ago

survivors guilt?

and that could mean a lot of things.

Krishna
Professor Expert
7.1.2  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @7.1.1    3 years ago

I was wondering why they committed suicide-- so far haven't seen anything about their motives. We may know within the next few days.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
7.1.3  pat wilson  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @7.1.1    3 years ago

IDK...

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
7.1.4  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Krishna @7.1.2    3 years ago

OR , we may never know , not to our own personal satisfaction.

here is what i accept , the actions of the 6th , from all parties , will have and have had far reaching repercussions we may never fully understand or be able to comprehend.

that is not to make light of it , is is just simple acceptance and an understanding that things may not ever be really understood.

Krishna
Professor Expert
7.1.5  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @7.1.4    3 years ago
 that is not to make light of it , is is just simple acceptance and an understanding that things may not ever be really understood.

But isn't that the case with so many major news stories?

9/11.

The Kennedy Assassination.

Why Japan decided to attack us at Pearl Harbour.

Whether Hitler actually died by suicide in his bunkwerin Berlin-- or had actually secretly escaped to live out his years in an isolated part of Brazil (or Paraguay).

And so many more...

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
8  Mark in Wyoming     3 years ago

I gave a disclaimer on another article a couple hours ago that i was already enjoying a quaint bourbon out of kentucky called buffalo trace  and enjoying a rather tasty cigar (trying to limit myself to one cigar a week, not happening as much as ild like).

reason being i can get rather pointed and blunt  and  down right unacceptable in mixed company, i get like this i tend to not suffer fools or those that use foolish arguments to play political games, thats just not me , i say and expect it to be said as it is , no politics . we can agree to disagree with no real hard feelings.

needless to say i ran out of mixer for the drink and switched to some home made spiced apple cider to mix it with ( damn im good in that respect) and still on the same cigar .

end comment , same as before , and you might not like what i say , but buckle up buttercups, and your a daisy if you dont....

enjoy.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
8.1  Gordy327  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @8    3 years ago

I prefer an unmixed  bourbon whiskey on the rocks, with a big, slow burning stoagie myself. Just as an occasional treat.

evilone
Professor Guide
8.1.1  evilone  replied to  Gordy327 @8.1    3 years ago

I'll join you both with the bourbon, but I'll pass on the stoagie. I could never stomach a cigar, though I tried.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
8.1.2  Gordy327  replied to  evilone @8.1.1    3 years ago

That means you didn't have the right cigar.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
8.1.3  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Gordy327 @8.1    3 years ago

Every year, one of my customers at my old job would go to Cuba to see his family.  He would bring me a Cuban cigar.  

Gordy327
Professor Expert
8.1.4  Gordy327  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @8.1.3    3 years ago
He would bring me a Cuban cigar.  

Nice! I wouldn't mind a big, fat Cuban. Dominican cigars are good too.

devangelical
Professor Principal
8.1.5  devangelical  replied to  Gordy327 @8.1.4    3 years ago
I wouldn't mind a big, fat Cuban.

have you checked the kitchen at mar a lago?

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
8.1.6  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Gordy327 @8.1.4    3 years ago

I tend to gravitate to the manduros, In about a 52 ring gauge  i have tried a number of them that are grown from cuban seed but grown in places like the DR or nicaragua , or hondoras, for me its just something about that dark outer wrapper that holds the flavor and burns more even i tend to like .

my usuals are either rocky patels  or drew estates , but im not above trying an off the wall branded  stick , i have found both undercrown and black crown make some very decent smokes , and throw in a Ghurka  now and then and im ok

Gordy327
Professor Expert
8.1.7  Gordy327  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @8.1.6    3 years ago

Rocky Patels are good. Don Raphaels are good for the price. Connecticut wrappers make for a good burn.

Krishna
Professor Expert
8.2  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @8    3 years ago
you might not like what i say , but buckle up buttercups, and your a daisy if you dont....

Well, you may not be all that unique...

It seems like no matter what someone says on a Social Media site like NT...there will be at lea st one person who disagree...and feels the nedd to launch a personal attack.... eh, buttercup? jrSmiley_9_smiley_image.gif

Dig
Professor Participates
9  Dig    3 years ago
Slain Capitol Police Officer Brian Sicknick was lying in honor in the U.S. Capitol on Tuesday evening

Killed by Trump supporters.

Killed by Trump's lies.

Duck Hawk
Freshman Silent
10  Duck Hawk    3 years ago

So did anyone else see that FOX News didn't even bother to show officer Sicknick laying in state at the Capitol. So much for the "Blue Lives Matter" crowd. Seems they really don't care about the law or those people charged to enforce it. It would appear the the Blue lives Matter movement is nothing but a show of political expediency. (Some conservatives will say or do anything for political power.)

CB
Professor Principal
10.1  CB  replied to  Duck Hawk @10    3 years ago

I saw that omission too. Only 'dipping' in briefly to point out President Biden's appearance there and then - out of there!  This was during the Laurel Ingraham show.

CB
Professor Principal
10.2  CB  replied to  Duck Hawk @10    3 years ago

It is so incoherent too. As I watched the show of support at the House tribute ceremony, I was wondering what all those officers thought on this moment. The fact that some people who voted 'beyond' this officer's death for the Big Lie still dare appear on this solemn occasion with: 

And a pretense of car—no, let's not say that. . . their being there was and remains simply politics without a chaser!