╌>

Greg Gutfeld Questions Wall-to-Wall Media Coverage of Tiger Woods

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  john-russell  •  3 years ago  •  12 comments

By:   Reed Richardson (Mediaite)

Greg Gutfeld Questions Wall-to-Wall Media Coverage of Tiger Woods
'There's so many people that are suffering': The Five's Greg Gutfeld hits media — including his own network — for hyping Tiger Woods' crash amid Covid pandemic

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

By Reed RichardsonFeb 23rd, 2021, 7:19 pm

The Five co-host Greg Gutfeld critically questioned the media about devoting hours of airtime on the Tuesday morning car crash by Tiger Woods.

During a segment where Fox News dipped out of ongoing live coverage of the accident, the panelists weighed in on the news about Woods. But after Dana Perino noted the public's longtime fascination with someone who is an icon not just within golf or the sports world, but in American culture in general, Gutfeld offered a decidedly contrarian take on the coverage.

"Really, though?" Gutfeld said in rebuttal. "Everybody wants to hear about his for an hour? I don't know."

"I know our job is to overstate incidents like this…" Gutfeld continued, just as what sounded like Perino whispering into a hot mic saying: "Guys…"

"If we don't overstate it, people might change the channel," he added, before noting that tens of thousands of Americans are injured in car accidents every year.

"I just think that, right now, my prayers are limited," Gutfeld continued. "There's so many people that are suffering right now and I think sometimes the news news does this deep dive. Honestly, I think some people might just be like 'We get it. We get it.' There's some bad stuff going on in this world. Maybe we should focus on that stuff."

As Perino began to respond with "Alright…" Gutfeld threw up his hands and added: "I'm here to give my opinion! So I know everybody hates me for that. But, sorry."

Moments later, Fox anchor Bret Baier came on to helm the ongoing coverage, prompting another mea culpa from Gutfeld.

"Bret, I did not know — they didn't tell me you were coming on. I swear to God I wouldn't have said that," Gutfeld said, laughing.

"This is why this is a bigger deal," Baier explained to the audience, as well as to his fellow Fox employee. "This is a huge story because he's bigger than life when it comes to golf and in sport in general. So the world is paying attention to something like this."

Later on in the program, Gutfeld elaborated on his point, saying, "We have a challenge of doing this show wall to wall stuff, having to avoid unspeakable truths, and instead do this kind of repetitive salutation and grand pronouncements. Let's at least inject a little bit of sobriety and honesty into this thing. My father-in-law died in his car on Christmas eve. He wasn't a world famous golfer. But you know what? He was a great man and I'm glad I said it."

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    3 years ago

Although I don't think the normally blowhardish and obnoxious Greg Gutfeld is entirely wrong about this, I wonder where he has been for , say, the last hundred years.  Americans have been overly interested in celebrities ever since about the dawn of the telephone, and radio and movies which made mass communication and entertainment widespread. 

It is not at all surprising that a Tiger Woods , a very famous person, gets a lot of air time when he is seriously injured in a car crash. 

MonsterMash
Sophomore Quiet
2  MonsterMash    3 years ago

I guess Gutfeld would have devoted just two minutes to the death of Jackie Robinson, after all tens of thousands of Americans die every year.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2.1  Tacos!  replied to  MonsterMash @2    3 years ago

Gosh, where to begin with that? OK, just broadly, Tiger’s experiences and contributions are not close to what Jackie Robinson went through and achieved. Not close. Also, Tiger Woods is not dead.

Baron Creek
Junior Quiet
3  Baron Creek    3 years ago

1st off... Tiger Woods is a legend of the game of golf and the interest in golf exploded due to his enthusiasm, far more than any other golfer's impact. 

Unfortunately, in the case of Tiger... it is the "other" stuff that seems to be gripping the media, as they don't want to miss an opportunity to use that breaking news banner. I have not seen one report that resisted the temptation to dredge up 2009 "crash" or the 2017 mug shot, etc. I heard one reporter state there doesn't appear to be anything salacious about this accident... at this time. That's a near verbatim quote. 

MonsterMash
Sophomore Quiet
3.1  MonsterMash  replied to  Baron Creek @3    3 years ago
it is the "other" stuff that seems to be gripping the media

The media is hoping it will come out Tiger was under the influence of drugs or alcohol at the time of the crash and he wasn't wearing a face mask endangering the rescue workers  

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
4  igknorantzrulz    3 years ago

Gutfeld's a douche, but , i also have to agree, cause i don't give a flying fck about Tiger, but, if i could fly, i would give a flying fck 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
8  Tacos!    3 years ago

I kind of agree with Gutfeld. It’s certainly newsworthy solely on the grounds that Tiger is famous. Beyond that, who cares? It just not “all goddamn day” newsworthy. It warrants about 30 seconds and then there are about a thousand more important things they could probably cover.