Greg Gutfeld Questions Wall-to-Wall Media Coverage of Tiger Woods

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  john-russell  •  2 weeks ago  •  12 comments

By:   Reed Richardson (Mediaite)

Greg Gutfeld Questions Wall-to-Wall Media Coverage of Tiger Woods
'There's so many people that are suffering': The Five's Greg Gutfeld hits media — including his own network — for hyping Tiger Woods' crash amid Covid pandemic

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

By Reed RichardsonFeb 23rd, 2021, 7:19 pm

The Five co-host Greg Gutfeld critically questioned the media about devoting hours of airtime on the Tuesday morning car crash by Tiger Woods.

During a segment where Fox News dipped out of ongoing live coverage of the accident, the panelists weighed in on the news about Woods. But after Dana Perino noted the public's longtime fascination with someone who is an icon not just within golf or the sports world, but in American culture in general, Gutfeld offered a decidedly contrarian take on the coverage.

"Really, though?" Gutfeld said in rebuttal. "Everybody wants to hear about his for an hour? I don't know."

"I know our job is to overstate incidents like this…" Gutfeld continued, just as what sounded like Perino whispering into a hot mic saying: "Guys…"

"If we don't overstate it, people might change the channel," he added, before noting that tens of thousands of Americans are injured in car accidents every year.

"I just think that, right now, my prayers are limited," Gutfeld continued. "There's so many people that are suffering right now and I think sometimes the news news does this deep dive. Honestly, I think some people might just be like 'We get it. We get it.' There's some bad stuff going on in this world. Maybe we should focus on that stuff."

As Perino began to respond with "Alright…" Gutfeld threw up his hands and added: "I'm here to give my opinion! So I know everybody hates me for that. But, sorry."

Moments later, Fox anchor Bret Baier came on to helm the ongoing coverage, prompting another mea culpa from Gutfeld.

"Bret, I did not know — they didn't tell me you were coming on. I swear to God I wouldn't have said that," Gutfeld said, laughing.

"This is why this is a bigger deal," Baier explained to the audience, as well as to his fellow Fox employee. "This is a huge story because he's bigger than life when it comes to golf and in sport in general. So the world is paying attention to something like this."

Later on in the program, Gutfeld elaborated on his point, saying, "We have a challenge of doing this show wall to wall stuff, having to avoid unspeakable truths, and instead do this kind of repetitive salutation and grand pronouncements. Let's at least inject a little bit of sobriety and honesty into this thing. My father-in-law died in his car on Christmas eve. He wasn't a world famous golfer. But you know what? He was a great man and I'm glad I said it."

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    2 weeks ago

Although I don't think the normally blowhardish and obnoxious Greg Gutfeld is entirely wrong about this, I wonder where he has been for , say, the last hundred years.  Americans have been overly interested in celebrities ever since about the dawn of the telephone, and radio and movies which made mass communication and entertainment widespread. 

It is not at all surprising that a Tiger Woods , a very famous person, gets a lot of air time when he is seriously injured in a car crash. 

MonsterMash
Freshman Guide
2  MonsterMash    2 weeks ago

I guess Gutfeld would have devoted just two minutes to the death of Jackie Robinson, after all tens of thousands of Americans die every year.

Tacos!
PhD Guide
2.1  Tacos!  replied to  MonsterMash @2    2 weeks ago

Gosh, where to begin with that? OK, just broadly, Tiger’s experiences and contributions are not close to what Jackie Robinson went through and achieved. Not close. Also, Tiger Woods is not dead.

Baron Creek
Sophomore Participates
3  Baron Creek    2 weeks ago

1st off... Tiger Woods is a legend of the game of golf and the interest in golf exploded due to his enthusiasm, far more than any other golfer's impact. 

Unfortunately, in the case of Tiger... it is the "other" stuff that seems to be gripping the media, as they don't want to miss an opportunity to use that breaking news banner. I have not seen one report that resisted the temptation to dredge up 2009 "crash" or the 2017 mug shot, etc. I heard one reporter state there doesn't appear to be anything salacious about this accident... at this time. That's a near verbatim quote. 

MonsterMash
Freshman Guide
3.1  MonsterMash  replied to  Baron Creek @3    2 weeks ago
it is the "other" stuff that seems to be gripping the media

The media is hoping it will come out Tiger was under the influence of drugs or alcohol at the time of the crash and he wasn't wearing a face mask endangering the rescue workers  

igknorantzrulz
Senior Participates
4  igknorantzrulz    2 weeks ago

Gutfeld's a douche, but , i also have to agree, cause i don't give a flying fck about Tiger, but, if i could fly, i would give a flying fck 

r.t..b...
Masters Participates
5  r.t..b...    2 weeks ago

Let us all agree to let this one go...wish him and his family peace...just as if it were our father, brother, mentor, whatever. 

Tacos!
PhD Guide
8  Tacos!    2 weeks ago

I kind of agree with Gutfeld. It’s certainly newsworthy solely on the grounds that Tiger is famous. Beyond that, who cares? It just not “all goddamn day” newsworthy. It warrants about 30 seconds and then there are about a thousand more important things they could probably cover.

r.t..b...
Masters Participates
8.1  r.t..b...  replied to  Tacos! @8    2 weeks ago

The guy changed the entire landscape of golf for the masses. 
He became the face of a sport, encouraged many to emulate him, and in doing so made many countless rich beyond their dreams.

Many people care, Tacos...many people care. And just who is this Gutfeld wannabe?

Tacos!
PhD Guide
8.1.1  Tacos!  replied to  r.t..b... @8.1    2 weeks ago
The guy changed the entire landscape of golf for the masses.

What landscape? What masses? People have been going to golf tournaments or watching them on TV for decades. Do you know anything about what it was like when Arnold Palmer came along? Jack Nicklaus? We didn't need Tiger Woods to make golf popular. 

And before you go to his skin color - and I acknowledge he has probably been a boost to black interest in the sport - we have had black players (men and women) in professional golf for decades . Not tons of them, and not as dominant as he, but they have been there for a long time.

Tiger Woods is not CLOSE to Jackie Robinson. I'm sorry. He's just not. 

Robinson - well, I'm sorry, but this space is not big enough to pay proper credit to what Jackie Robinson went through.

encouraged many to emulate him

Emulate what, exactly? That you can be really good at something if your father commits you as a 5 year-old to do nothing but golf ? Or how to wreck your marriage?

and in doing so made many countless rich beyond their dreams.

Like who? Nike? Network execs? Agents? The PGA? People like Donald Trump, who own golf courses? Those people were going to make money with or without Tiger. Golf was already big business.

I don't hate Tiger Woods. I take nothing away from his success. Hell, I like watching the guy play. I'm just not going to hold him up as the kind of ground breaker and moral example that Jackie Robinson was. No freaking way.

Many people care, Tacos...many people care.

Enough to warrant that much coverage? Over a car crash? And he's still breathing, right? Do people care so much that everything that else that happened in the world today needs to get skipped? If so, I'd say a lot of people have their priorities out of whack.

And just who is this Gutfeld wannabe?

He's not wanting to be anything other than what he is, which is a commentator on the news. He made a valid criticism of the coverage as excessive. Going after him personally is a poor counterargument to his criticism.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
8.1.2  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Tacos! @8.1.1    2 weeks ago

I am not a Tiger Woods fan, although I do think he is the second greatest golfer of all time (Nicklaus number one).  I just don't fanboy athletes. 

However, Tiger Woods did have a tremendous effect on golf, golfers make far more money now than they did before Tiger Woods, and not just because it is 25 years later. Purses for golf increased as exposure for the tournaments increased, and Woods arrival in the mid 90's did cause a great increase in the casual fans attention to golf.  Ratings went up, sponsorships went up, and participation in golf went up.  There are many articles online that discuss this, this is just one

In its 10-year sponsorship of Tiger Woods, Nike's golf ball unit alone added $91 million in extra revenue and $60 million in extra profit. When Woods endorsed Nike, 4.5 million new customers went with him, according to the Tepper study.  

Nike might be biggest beneficiary of the Tiger effect, but the competition needs him too — even if he's now more like a double-edged sword. When he's absent from the game, or even getting less of the PGA spotlight, almost every brand suffers. 

Kathleen
PhD Principal
9  Kathleen    2 weeks ago

I think 10 minutes and a update in a few days is enough. I do agree with him that all day coverage is unnecessary. There are more important things like Covid and vaccines and the new strains that we need to focus on. 

Speedy recovery to him. Glad that no one else was injured or killed because I heard he was driving too fast.