╌>

Russia slows Twitter's speed after row over anti-Kremlin protests, threatens total block

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  3 years ago  •  5 comments

By:   Reuters

Russia slows Twitter's speed after row over anti-Kremlin protests, threatens total block
Russia said on Wednesday it was slowing down the speed of Twitter in retaliation for its alleged failure to remove banned content about anti-Kremlin protests.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

The Kremlin said there was no desire to block content but that companies had to abide by the law.

Parliament's lower house in December backed big new fines on platforms that fail to delete banned content and other legislation that would allow them to be restricted if they "discriminate" against Russian media.

Moscow has gradually introduced tougher internet laws in recent years, requiring search engines to delete some search results, messaging services to share encryption keys with security services and platforms to store user data on servers in Russia.

Some of those measures have spurred fears of China-style Internet curbs, but have only been partially successful.

Russia tried to ban the Telegram messenger service in 2018 for example, but proved technically unable to block the app and last year publicly lifted the ban

Reuters

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
1  sandy-2021492    3 years ago

Now that is censorship.  

Eat The Press Do Not Read It
Professor Guide
1.1  Eat The Press Do Not Read It  replied to  sandy-2021492 @1    3 years ago

Or, another act of war from T-Rump's Pal!

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
2  FLYNAVY1    3 years ago

I don't know how to read Russia right now.  They've managed to throw off their unwanted governments in 1917, and then again in 1991.  The oligarchs will do everything in their power to hold on to power.  Will the Russian military come to the rescue of the Russian people if things start getting violent?  I guess the question is how much of the military has pledged their loyalty to Putin vs their country? 

Eat The Press Do Not Read It
Professor Guide
3  Eat The Press Do Not Read It    3 years ago

TRump's friends are so NICE to America. As a Registered Masochist, I love it when Russia gets "rough" with us, Don't you?

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4  Tacos!    3 years ago

I have zero sympathy for Twitter or any other social media platform. They censor people all day long, every day. Now, we’re supposed to feel bad for them because Russia slowed them down a little? I don’t think so.