╌>

Ron Johnson Defies CDC Guidance Over COVID Vaccination After Infection

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  flynavy1  •  3 years ago  •  15 comments

By:   Anders Anglesey (MSN)

Ron Johnson Defies CDC Guidance Over COVID Vaccination After Infection
"It certainly appears the pandemic on its own is winding down....."

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Senator Ron Johnson has said he does not intend to follow official guidance and get vaccinated against COVID-19 because he has been infected.

Speaking with CBS 58, the Republican for Wisconsin, who contracted COVID in October, said he would not get the vaccine as he believes he has "immunity."

Asked if he had been vaccinated, or planned to, he replied: "No, I had COVID. I think that probably provides me with the best immunity possible [for] actually having the disease."

His comments stand in stark contrast to Centers for Disease Control and Prevention advice that strongly recommends those who have been infected get immunized, noting that experts are still learning about how long natural immunity lasts.

Guidance on the CDC website reads: "You should be vaccinated regardless of whether you already had COVID. That's because experts do not yet know how long you are protected from getting sick again after recovering from COVID-19.

"Even if you have already recovered from COVID-19, it is possible, although rare, that you could be infected with the virus that causes COVID-19 again."

Congress members were offered the vaccination in December 2020. Despite this, several lawmakers have still not been inoculated.

Johnson, 65, also would have been offered a vaccine in Wisconsin around January 25, when adults aged 65 and older in the state became eligible for shots.

"I could have got a vaccine, you know, right out of the blocks," the senator told CBS 58. "I decided not to do that so that other people can get the vaccine.

"It certainly appears the pandemic on its own is winding down and the vaccine is certainly helping this come to a close, and I think most Americans and Wisconsinites can't wait for the pandemic to be over."

Johnson, considered to be one of former President Trump's most energetic supporters, has been critical of COVID-19 restrictions and previously hit out at health officials for refusing to endorse using hydroxychloroquine, a medication the 45th President praised multiple times last year.

Dr. Anthony Fauci, of the White House coronavirus task force, said in July that hydroxychloroquine was not effective against COVID-19.

According to the CDC, 20.1 percent of Wisconsin's 5.82 million residents have received at least one vaccine dose. It also stated that 11.2 percent of the population had gotten two doses. Amid the rise in vaccinations, health officials have warned against complacency.

Dr. Matt Anderson, University of Wisconsin Health senior medical director, said: "There may be some opportunities to increase contact with vaccinated individuals, but we need to be careful, because if we don't, we run the risk of broader community spread and that's going to delay the ultimate goal, doing all the things we want to be doing."

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
1  seeder  FLYNAVY1    3 years ago

"I think your going to need a bigger 2x4...!"   To make use of a well known phrase from a Spielberg movie.....  

What kind of shit elected this turd?!

Kavika
Professor Principal
2  Kavika     3 years ago

Ignorant as a cow patty.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
3  Gsquared    3 years ago

Johnson's entire senatorial career can best be described as a complete waste of space.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4  Trout Giggles    3 years ago
"I could have got a vaccine, you know, right out of the blocks," the senator told CBS 58. "I decided not to do that so that other people can get the vaccine.

That was actually quite nice of him...but he really needs to get that shot. It won't kill him but if he gets re-infected that just might kill him

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.1  devangelical  replied to  Trout Giggles @4    3 years ago
but if he gets re-infected that just might kill him

bummer.

exexpatnowinTX
Freshman Quiet
5  exexpatnowinTX    3 years ago

To all of those people who actually believe the phrase "I'm from the government and I'm here to help you.", I have some wonderful ocean front property in Arizona that I'm willing to let you have at an amazingly cheap price.

Now, will anyone, just one will suffice, that can tell me why getting a vaccination will provide any additional protection from a virus that one has already been infected by and recovered from?  Remember, when you answer that even the much vaunted CDC can't guarantee the effectiveness life span of the current vaccines nor can they guarantee that it provides any additional benefits than an individual enjoys that has recovered from a covid infection.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  exexpatnowinTX @5    3 years ago

People have been re-infected.

exexpatnowinTX
Freshman Quiet
5.1.1  exexpatnowinTX  replied to  Trout Giggles @5.1    3 years ago

Are you making the claim that getting vaccinated with the currently available vaccines will with 100% certainty save any individual from getting infected or re-infected?

Dulay
Professor Expert
5.1.2  Dulay  replied to  exexpatnowinTX @5.1.1    3 years ago

So an 'any' to '100% certainty' move of the goal posts. Well done. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1.3  Tessylo  replied to  exexpatnowinTX @5.1.1    3 years ago

Looks like we have an expert here!  On everything!

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.1.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  exexpatnowinTX @5.1.1    3 years ago

Of course I'm not. But even the Johnson and Johnson vaccine which is rated at about 85% efficacy is much more effective than most flu vaccines. Even the CDC doesn't claim that the shots will protect a person 100% but your chances of becoming infected are lessened and if you do get infected your chances of severe illness are lessened. Go to the CDC website and find out for yourself. Hell, you can google it!

Hallux
PhD Principal
5.2  Hallux  replied to  exexpatnowinTX @5    3 years ago
"Now, will anyone, just one will suffice, that can tell me why getting a vaccination will provide any additional protection from a virus that one has already been infected by and recovered from?"

Ask Donald and Melania.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.2.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Hallux @5.2    3 years ago

Yeah...they got their shots in December? And didn't tell anyone about it

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
5.3  seeder  FLYNAVY1  replied to  exexpatnowinTX @5    3 years ago

How about...... 

While having had COVID does provide some level of immunity against the virus, scientists do not have information on how long that immunity may last or how reliable the immunity may be.  Scientists do know the efficacy of the different vaccines against the different strains.  They don't have data on resistance to new strains for those that have recovered from the original strain.

If this doesn't get it done for you, then I'm sure you can mail order some leeches from Amazon......

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.3.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @5.3    3 years ago

I think people forget that this a new virus which is why it's called the Novel Corona virus, novel meaning new. So much research still needs to be done to determine if infections gives immunity like having the chicken pox or if annual doses will be needed.