╌>

You can soon get a tour of the world's oldest baseball diamond

Category:  Sports

Via:  buzz-of-the-orient  •  3 years ago  •  6 comments

By:   Justin Zadorsky CTVNews (Canada Television News)

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

An empty Labatt Park in London, Ontario. is seen on Tuesday, July 7, 2020. (Brent Lale / CTV News)

LONDON, ONT.. -- This summer you can get an exclusive behind the scenes tour of the world’s oldest baseball diamond.

Labatt Memorial Park will be offering public tours this summer to display the unique history of the park.

You can walk the same grounds and halls as legendary athletes such as Satchel Paige, Ty Cobb, Fergie Jenkins, Jesse Owens, Deion Sanders, and more.

The tours are being offered thanks to support from the Government of Ontario, Tourism London, and the City of London.

Guests can go behind the scenes to see artifacts and learn about the famous teams and players who have come through the park.

image.jpg

Currently home to the London Majors, Labatt Memorial Park has been in operation since 1877.

It will be part of the new Southwestern Ontario Baseball Heritage Pass which gives patrons access to the Canadian Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum in St. Marys and the site of one of the first ever recorded games in Beachville.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient    3 years ago

This was a surprise to me.  I would have thought the oldest baseball diamond would have been in Cooperstown, N.Y., if not somewhere else in the USA.   Labatt Brewery was the corporate sponsor to bring MLB to Toronto, the Toronto Blue Jays.  The Montreal Expos was the first Canadian MLB team but it was a flash in the pan - no longer exists.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1  devangelical  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1    3 years ago
I would have thought the oldest baseball diamond would have been in Cooperstown, N.Y., if not somewhere else in the USA.

uh-oh, add conservative baseball fans to your list of haters. what's next, hotdogs and apple pie originating in Niagara or Montreal? chevys were all built in "far north" detroit? I fear you may have opened the proverbial pandora's box. j/k great seed. as a kid I spent my summers playing baseball.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  devangelical @1.1    3 years ago

I don't know about apple pie and hotdogs, but here are some things that were invented in Canada...

Ender
Professor Principal
2  Ender    3 years ago

What, no corn? jrSmiley_100_smiley_image.jpg

At least they kept it. In the states the motto seems to be tear it down, I want a new one.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Ender @2    3 years ago

Fenway Park in Boston is the oldest continuously used baseball stadium in the USA.  I'm glad to have had the privilege of watching a game being played there - saw a homer hit over the green monster.

You're right about the corn.  Maybe they should plant some corn stalks along the outfield walls just in case the spirits of some of the baseball greats who played there might be awakened.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3  Kavika     3 years ago

What a great story.