╌>

The impending Tax Hike

Category:  News & Politics

By:  vic-eldred  •  3 years ago  •  39 comments

The impending Tax Hike
“People would accept the corporate tax raised a few points but beyond that you’re going to have problems, especially in the middle of an economic crisis”

The Biden Administration is planning a major tax increase. I'm not sure how many Americans voted for that, but they're going to get it. After all, they got that "covid relief" package that partially dealt with covid relief.

Supposedly, if we can still believe unnamed sources, t he tax increases will include:

Raising the corporate tax from 21 percent to 28 percent
Increasing the income tax rate on people making more than $400,000
Expanding the estate tax
Paring back tax preferences on pass-through businesses such as limited-liability companies
Setting up a higher capital gains tax rate for individuals making at least $1 million.

Some have reached out to the Biden administration for comment...

OIP.nTN5pylEsBOviLg0cPK8AAHaGL?w=194&h=180&c=7&o=5&pid=1.7

Thus far, there has been no response.

Some tax hikes are expected to be part of the forthcoming massive infrastructure packages that the administration hopes to get through congress (again using reconciliation).

Also tucked into that Covid relief package:

"Democrats are getting an early start on their tax-increase agenda.

They’ve tucked a trio of little-noticed tax hikes on the wealthy and big corporations into their coronavirus relief package that together are worth $60 billion.

One takes away deductions for publicly traded companies that pay top employees more than $1 million. Another provision cracks down on how multinational corporations do their taxes. A third targets how owners of unincorporated businesses account for their losses."

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/03/10/covid-relief-bill-tax-hikes-475051

The big test will come soon when Biden's handlers put their tax plan on the table for all to see.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1  author  Vic Eldred    3 years ago

You may not have voted for it, but watch for it!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2  Buzz of the Orient    3 years ago

Yeah.  If I were a billionaire I would really bitch about those hikes. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2    3 years ago

You think that will be it?   That will be enough?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1    3 years ago

How can anyone answer those questions?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.2  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.1.1    3 years ago

They are reasonable questions. I have no problem with taxing people who make over $400,000 a year, but if we are legitimately trying to pay for a $1.9 Trillion relief package and more Trillions to be spent on an infrastructure project, I question whether it will be enough. Sales taxes - like a gasoline tax are sneaky taxes on the middle class. They won't even be enough. Is it reasonable to believe that the middle class will be taxed?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.3  Tessylo  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.1.1    3 years ago

[removed]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1.4  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1.2    3 years ago

Well, good for you for being able to answer your own questions.  I never studied economics, I'm not an economist and my knowledge of the American tax system is extremely limited, but I do believe that, as I said, if I were a billionaire any new taxes to be imposed would be bound to cost me, but somehow I think I would still be able to survive financially and be able to put good food on the table, have a decent roof over my head and be able to send my kids to college no matter how much Biden intends to reduce my net income. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.5  Tessylo  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.1.4    3 years ago

That's because you're a decent, upstanding gentleman!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jrSmiley_81_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_81_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_81_smiley_image.gif

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.6  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.1.4    3 years ago

You don't need to be an economist to know that taxing the rich is an easy political exercise, especially for the proxy who promised not to raise taxes on anyone earning less that $400,000 a year. Let's see how that goes.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1.7  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Tessylo @2.1.5    3 years ago

kind-too-kind.jpg

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1.8  Kavika   replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1.6    3 years ago

The Trump tax cuts for individuals end in 2025. The tax cut for corporations is permanent. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1.9  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1.6    3 years ago

If he made that promise, has he broken it?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.10  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Kavika @2.1.8    3 years ago

Changes to the 2017 tax cut are all but certain.

"There are other parts of the Trump tax cuts, passed in 2017, that Biden would modify but not repeal completely. Trump cut the business tax rate from 35% to 21%. Biden would raise it, but only to 28%. There would also be a few new benefits, such as an earned-income tax credit for older workers without kids and a tax credit for child care expenses.

On individual tax rates, Biden wants to raise the top tax rate from 37% to the old rate of 39.6%, the level before Trump cut it in 2017. For people with incomes of $1 million or more, Biden would also tax capital gains at the labor-income rate, 39.6%, up from the 20% rate that now applies to higher earners. There would be other taxes on the wealthy, but Biden would keep individual brackets and capital gains rates where they are now for everybody else."

Will it stop there?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.11  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.1.9    3 years ago
If he made that promise, has he broken it?

Not as yet.

A gas tax qualifies as breaking the promise, right?

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1.12  Kavika   replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1.10    3 years ago

The small tax break for middle-class individuals ends in 2025. Per Trump's tax plan so that is an increase based on his plan. 

The increase in corporate taxes is well justified since that break and the break on the super rich ended up increasing the deficit. 

Will it end there? 

I have no idea and neither does anyone else. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.13  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1.11    3 years ago

No

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.14  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Kavika @2.1.12    3 years ago
The small tax break for middle-class individuals ends in 2025. Per Trump's tax plan so that is an increase based on his plan. 

You mean whenever a tax cut ends it equals a tax increase. I guess that is what is meant by tortured logic.

The increase in corporate taxes is well justified since that break and the break on the super rich ended up increasing the deficit.

You do know that corporate is not synonymous with individuals, wealthy or otherwise?

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
2.1.15  bbl-1  replied to  Kavika @2.1.8    3 years ago

Nothing is permanent.  Not anymore.  This nation needs a restructuring.  And ending Supply Side Economics is issue number one.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2.1.16  Greg Jones  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.1.4    3 years ago

There aren't enough billionaires in the USA to pay for all the Dems largess and promises of free stuff. In the real world, corporations don't pay taxes, but simply pass their increased costs down the line, ultimately affecting the middle class and the poor.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2.1.17  Greg Jones  replied to  bbl-1 @2.1.15    3 years ago
And ending Supply Side Economics is issue number one.
Explain what supply side economics is, and the effects of ending it.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.18  Tessylo  replied to  Greg Jones @2.1.17    3 years ago

gqp'ers are always telling others to do their homework for them!

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
2.1.19  bbl-1  replied to  Greg Jones @2.1.17    3 years ago

In Vietnam among we Air Cavalry people there was a saying---"You can't ask if you don't know."

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.1.20  Trout Giggles  replied to  Greg Jones @2.1.17    3 years ago

I can't believe you don't know what Supply Side Economics means. Your hero started it.

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1.21  Kavika   replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1.14    3 years ago
You mean whenever a tax cut ends it equals a tax increase. I guess that is what is meant by tortured logic.

I meant exactly what I said. If you have a problem with it, that's on you.

You do know that corporate is not synonymous with individuals, wealthy or otherwise?

Of course, do you. I didn't equate corporate with the individual. I stated that the corporate tax cut and the cut on the super-rich added to the deficit. 

If you don't like the way it's worded it's not my problem.

Dulay
Professor Expert
2.1.22  Dulay  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1.2    3 years ago

Where does your seed say anything about paying for the relief package Vic? 

Oh and WHY should they have to pay for the Infrastructure bill? 

Why couldn't Biden's Treasury just make shit up like Trump's did so they can pretend that it pays for itself?

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
2.2  SteevieGee  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2    3 years ago

Let's see...

Raising the corporate tax from 21 percent to 28 percent
Increasing the income tax rate on people making more than $400,000
Expanding the estate tax
Paring back tax preferences on pass-through businesses such as limited-liability companies
Setting up a higher capital gains tax rate for individuals making at least $1 million.

Nope.  No tax hike for me.

evilone
Professor Guide
4  evilone    3 years ago

The axiom that "Dems have never seen a tax they didn't like" is mostly true. This is where I often part with the Dems. They could be a little more judicious where they find their revenue. I don't see an issue with taxing the 1% more, but not everyone that owns a corporate pass through is rich either. They should do it by income here like the personal income brackets. I've also seen Dems like Buttigieg start talking about a milage tax. Once they figure the how, you'll get that on top of the gas tax.

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.1  Kavika   replied to  evilone @4    3 years ago

Not so sure that it's a dem thing with the mileage tax. As the US goes more and more to electric autos/trucks the less gas will be purchased and that means less in taxes. To keep the roads maintained the money has to come from somewhere.

evilone
Professor Guide
4.1.1  evilone  replied to  Kavika @4.1    3 years ago

True, but as far as I've heard only Dems are talking about it. The only state I know that has one right now is OR and that one is opt-in with a GPS tracking device installed on the cars. Perhaps the feds will requires states to collect during plate tabs updates with an odometer reading?

I drive very little anyway. It's a mile to work and during nice days in the summer I use the scooter. LOL!

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.1.2  Kavika   replied to  evilone @4.1.1    3 years ago

The other situation that seems to be gaining steam is the private roads which of course are toll roads. 

It's a mile to work and during nice days in the summer I use the scooter. LOL!

A nice summer day where you live is a Tuesday afternoon in August. jrSmiley_4_smiley_image.png

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
4.1.3  Thrawn 31  replied to  Kavika @4.1    3 years ago

Very true, the gas tax is what pays for just about all road construction/repairs. Gotta replace it with something. I think it was Audi that recently announced by like 2030 their entire lineup will be electric vehicles.

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.1.4  Kavika   replied to  Thrawn 31 @4.1.3    3 years ago

I think it was Audi that recently announced by like 2030 their entire lineup will be electric vehicles.

So has GM, Ford and Volvo.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
5  bbl-1    3 years ago

If the ultra rich have to pay more in taxes does this mean they will have to find part time jobs to make up for it?

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
6  Nerm_L    3 years ago

Increasing corporate taxes works the same way as tariffs.  Consumers provide the money to pay corporate taxes and tariffs.  Increasing corporate taxes is Democrats' favorite way to tax the poor.  But corporate taxes won't do anything to address disparities because Democrats will also lower tariffs; that's just another race to move jobs offshore.

Estate taxes really does tax money that has already been taxed.  That's a backhanded way to claw back revenue lost through tax loopholes.  Dead people don't donate to Democrats so the estate is no longer of political value.  Although dead people do vote for Democrats.

The only way to increase government revenue while addressing disparities is by making the income tax progressive.  The current overall Federal tax code works like a flat tax; everyone is paying the same rate of tax.  But there have been so many loopholes added to curry favor from political donors that the real tax rates has become regressive.  The biggest obstacle for returning the overall Federal tax code to a progressive system of taxation will be trying to convince Congressional politicians to increase their own taxes.

Replacing wealthy individuals with a wealthy government wont' really accomplish much.  Democrats are still promising supply-side trickle down economics.  Democrats' record on trickling down public money isn't any better than the record of fat cat financiers trickling down private money.  Politicians have been growing richer alongside their private sector counterparts.  Keep in mind that most of the politicians are lawyers; they've been professionally trained to screw the public for their own benefit.   

Will it be enough?  That depends upon Democrats' populist politics.  Joe Biden's proposals are populism on steroids.  Democrats are promising globalist populism instead of nationalist populism; as if Democrats can buy votes offshore where they are sending jobs.  Imposing political correctness is a cheap political activity; creating a bureaucracy to enforce political correctness becomes expensive.  But that kind of public spending is nothing more than political smoke and mirrors that consumes taxes without allowing money to trickle down.  That's Democrats' way of making poverty respectable and keeping their reliable voting base on the plantation.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
7  Thrawn 31    3 years ago

Go ahead and raise taxes on corporations and those in my position, won’teffect me one si gel bot.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
8  Tessylo    3 years ago

161374747_2890705944535054_1396446291757620767_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=6C3vXiZzj3QAX90v0WO&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.xx&oh=1435a3105068de9921c5ad7c8945fd29&oe=60767588

MrFrost
Professor Expert
9  MrFrost    3 years ago

It would take 238 hours for a minimum wage worker in my state to make what Bezos made every second in 2020. 

Please don't tell me that the rich cannot afford to pay more in taxes. 

Ender
Professor Principal
9.1  Ender  replied to  MrFrost @9    3 years ago

Of course they can. What gets me is the complaints about prices will rise as the cost to them will trickle down.

Hate to break the news to some but prices rose with the tax cuts.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
9.1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Ender @9.1    3 years ago

They must have risen with Trump's tariff war as well, and at a time when people could least afford the increases.