╌>

Rep. Ruben Gallego pushes for the VA to strip benefits from service members and veterans who stormed Capitol

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  flynavy1  •  3 years ago  •  33 comments

By:   insider@insider.com (John L. Dorman) 16 hrs ago (MSN)

Rep. Ruben Gallego pushes for the VA to strip benefits from service members and veterans who stormed Capitol
"Any retiree or service member who stormed the Capitol forfeited their moral entitlement to the support of the people of the US," Gallego said.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

© House Television via AP Rep. Ruben Gallego (D-Arizona) speaks as the House reconvenes to debate the objection to confirm the Electoral College vote from Arizona, after insurrectionists stormed the US Capitol on January 6, 2021. House Television via AP

• Rep. Gallego wants service members who participated in the Capitol riot to lose their benefits.
  • He said the group's actions are "not representative of the large population of American veterans."
  • Nearly 20 percent of the individuals charged in the riot had a military background, per NPR.
  • See more stories on Insider's business page.

Democratic Rep. Ruben Gallego of Arizona, a Marine Corps veteran, last week called on Veterans Affairs Secretary Denis McDonough to withdraw benefits from active-duty service members, veterans, or military retirees who participated in the deadly January 6 Capitol riot.

"The behavior of these individuals is not representative of the large population of American veterans, the vast majority of whom served honorably and are appalled by the thought of insurrection in the country they served," he wrote in a letter. "Yet, many of the veterans and service members who attacked their own government actively and enthusiastically enjoy benefits not available to their fellow citizens."

Such benefits include access to disability compensation, more affordable healthcare options, and vocational opportunities.

Gallego added: "This situation is unjust. Any retiree or service member who stormed the Capitol on Jan. 6 forfeited their moral entitlement to the support of the people of the United States."

Nearly 20 percent of the individuals charged in the riot had a military background, according to an NPR report.

Gallego, a member of the US House Armed Services Committee, asked McDonough to work with Attorney General Merrick Garland to identify the riot participants, citing 38 U.S. Code § 6104 as a rationale to withdraw benefits.

Section 6104 of the US code covers benefits for veterans and their dependants.

In addition to McDonough, Gallego also sent letters to Garland, Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin, and Secretary of Homeland Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas.

Federal prosecutors have already charged more than 300 people for their involvement with the attack, with more individuals expected to face federal charges.

In his personalized letter, Gallego asked Austin and Mayorkas to "quickly identify, investigate and prosecute any active service member or retiree who participated in the attack."

He added: "Insurrectionists should not enjoy benefits they no longer deserve."

During the insurrection, Gallego, who served in the Iraq War, sheltered several members of the media in his office.

Five people died during the violent rioting spree, including Capitol Police Officer Brian D. Sicknick, in what was the most significant breach of the US Capitol since 1814.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
1  seeder  FLYNAVY1    3 years ago

Let's hear from the vets out there....

My take is that oath we took upon enlistment, is "once sworn is still sworn".  Not that there is much in the way of vets benefits left to take, but yes, as they violated their oath to defend the US Constitution, I think they shouldn't count on those benefits. 

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.1  Ozzwald  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @1    3 years ago
My take is that oath we took upon enlistment, is "once sworn is still sworn".  Not that there is much in the way of vets benefits left to take, but yes, as they violated their oath to defend the US Constitution, I think they shouldn't count on those benefits.

Can vets still be dishonorably discharged?  I know active service can be, but is there an equivalent for veterans?

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
1.1.1  seeder  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Ozzwald @1.1    3 years ago

I know active service can be, but is there an equivalent for veterans?

And here is the answer

Veterans   could lose their VA benefits   for two reasons: Incarceration and multiple foreclosures.

For incarcerated veterans, a reduction or loss of benefits is determined by the crime committed and the resulting prison sentence E.G. whether the offense was a felony or misdemeanor. Benefits commonly affected by a prison sentence include educational as well as disability entitlements.  Veterans who have more than one foreclosure will lose their VA home loan benefit, though this entitlement can be regained.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.1.2  Ozzwald  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @1.1.1    3 years ago
And here is the answer

Seems to be a loophole in there.  If a vet commits sedition then flees the country to avoid prosecution and incarceration, they would retain their VA benefits?

evilone
Professor Guide
1.2  evilone  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @1    3 years ago

For those who perpetuated crimes heavy enough to be sentenced to prison time will already lose benefits. Most people that stormed the capital building will not serve any time. They will at most get probation. Should any vets that fall into this category still have their benefits stripped? Maybe.... Maybe not... Stupidity does have consequences.

321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu
Sophomore Guide
2  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu     3 years ago

WOW I'm sure that's an Unexpected kick in the ... for some of those "patriots". 

Gotta pay if yur gonna play I guess. Ouch !

idiots !

Irresponsibility has consequences !

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
3  Ronin2    3 years ago

How about we strip all benefits from every last politician in the federal government; and those that work directly under them as hirelings? That sounds reasonable since not a damn single one of them represent us.  They are all more concerned with staying in power; and keeping the lobbyist money coming in. Defending the Constitution has nothing to with the actions they carry out on a daily basis.

Funny how we didn't hear a single damn Democrat try this with any of the riots, assault, looting, arson, or destruction of federal property over the course of the last couple years. Of course those were left wing Brown Shirts doing it; so that makes it OK. Seems they are only concerned with alt right radicals that served in the military that step out of line.

By all means prosecute anyone that took part in the Capital riot to the fullest extent of the law; but don't be a partisan asshole and stop there.

Sophomore Guide
3.1  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Ronin2 @3    3 years ago
How about we strip all benefits from every last politician in the federal government;

Of all that were involved in anyway in what happened  01-06-21   YES !!!

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
3.1.1  seeder  FLYNAVY1  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @3.1    3 years ago

I've go no problem with that.  They too would be in violation of their oath of office.

As far as the rest of Ronan's screed..... let others decide for themselves the fact from fiction.  

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
3.1.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @3.1    3 years ago

There is already proof that certain members of Congress not only encouraged the riot, but aided in its inception.   Republican Oregon Rep. Mike Nearman is on video opening a door at the capitol so that rioters could gain access.  This SOB needs to be removed and brought up on charges as a traitor.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.3  Tessylo  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @3.1.2    3 years ago
"There is already proof that certain members of Congress not only encouraged the riot, but aided in its inception.   Republican Oregon Rep. Mike Nearman is on video opening a door at the capitol so that rioters could gain access.  This SOB needs to be removed and brought up on charges as a traitor."

I'm sure we'll find out sooner or later (hopefully sooner) that Boebert and Taylor-Greene - two gqp QANon whackjobs - were involved behind the scenes the day before giving tours to those who 'Stormed the Capitol' 'It's an Insurrection' the next day.  

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
3.1.4  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Tessylo @3.1.3    3 years ago

Until the t's are crossed and the i's dotted, Nearman who there is absolute proof against should be censured and removed.  He should also be barred legally from any reelection or holding any public office ever again.  Also, he should receive absolutely no benefits once he does leave office.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.2  Tessylo  replied to  Ronin2 @3    3 years ago

Projection, denial, whataboutism - and you remembered 'leftist brown shirts'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4  Trout Giggles    3 years ago

Any active duty involved should be court-martialed

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
4.1  seeder  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Trout Giggles @4    3 years ago

Without a doubt Trout as they are in violation of the UCMJ.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
5  Paula Bartholomew    3 years ago

I am behind this 100%.  Also, they should not receive stim checks.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
6  Greg Jones    3 years ago

I am behind this 100%.  Also, they should not receive stim checks.

I suspect that this, and the stripping of benefits, might raise legal and Constitutional questions as there are family and medical issues involved with many of these vets.

Such vindictiveness comes at a time when ex-cons have most their rights restored, and illegal aliens are rewarded for breaking the laws. Jail time and fines should suffice if convicted of felonies.

devangelical
Professor Principal
6.1  devangelical  replied to  Greg Jones @6    3 years ago
there are family and medical issues involved with many of these vets.

gee, too fucking bad...

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1.1  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @6.1    3 years ago
gee, too fucking bad...

yeah dude!!!!

Let's punish spouses and children now for actions of one parent.

That makes sooo much fucking sense......in some world.......

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
6.1.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  devangelical @6.1    3 years ago

Exactly.  

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
6.1.3  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  devangelical @6.1    3 years ago

They weren't thinking of their family members when they decided to become seditious traitors.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
6.1.4  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Texan1211 @6.1.1    3 years ago

Let's punish spouses and children now for actions of one parent.

That makes sooo much fucking sense......in some world.......

ROFL - Apparently it makes total sense to the majority of conservatives who have advocated for stripping social services from the poor too many times to count.  Yeah, keep pretending you give a fuck about children.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1.5  Texan1211  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @6.1.4    3 years ago

I care about kids, after all it wasn't me coming up with that dumb ass proposal!

MrFrost
Professor Expert
6.2  MrFrost  replied to  Greg Jones @6    3 years ago
might raise legal and Constitutional questions as there are family and medical issues involved with many of these vets.

Perhaps they should have thought of that before trying to overthrow the government? Just a thought. 

Sophomore Guide
6.2.1  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  MrFrost @6.2    3 years ago
they should have thought of that before trying to overthrow the government

That's the problem, They weren't thinking. Now many maybe though...

"O-Shit WTF did I do ? 

Kavika
Professor Principal
7  Kavika     3 years ago

Any active duty should be court-martialed.

Any retired vet drawing any type of benefits if found guilty and jailed should lose all benefits.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
7.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Kavika @7    3 years ago

JAG is probably drafting CM paperwork for the active duty busted.  Say goodbye to your careers, money, benefits, freedom, and the chance at any good job with a DD hanging around your necks to those who violated their oaths.  These are Trump's losers and he could give a shit about any of them.

Sophomore Guide
7.1.1  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Paula Bartholomew @7.1    3 years ago
These are Trump's losers and he could give a shit about any of them.

Always a trail of tears in trump's wake.. Always !

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7.1.2  Tessylo  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @7.1    3 years ago

"These are Trump's losers and he could give a shit about any of them."

Yup, that scumbag trump incited them for weeks,  poured some gasoline on the fire, said he'd go with them to the Capitol, then turned tail and fled back to the White House to watch it all unfold.  

Sophomore Guide
7.1.3  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Tessylo @7.1.2    3 years ago
back to the White House to watch it all unfold

Yep and I'd say in the hope that he could soon declare Martial law and at least postpone the transfer of power for the time being.

Martial law can be invoked when a government is unable to function.

martial law

noun

the law temporarily imposed upon an area by state or national military forces when civil authority has broken down or during wartime military operations.

IMO: President trump was so power hungry he was willing to kill and actually try to take over our government in any way he could.

Personally I'm just thankful the asshole failed ! 

IMO: This man should certainly be stripped of any legal right to ever hold a public office again.   Period !

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
7.1.4  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @7.1.3    3 years ago

He also needs to be stripped of his freedom and all money/property.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
7.2  MrFrost  replied to  Kavika @7    3 years ago

100% agree.