By:   Molly Jong-Fast, The Daily Beast

The GOP Is the Party of No Hope—and Endless Mass Murders

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

The GOP Is the Party of No Hope—and Endless Mass Murders

Molly Jong-Fast
Thu, March 25, 2021, 5:04 AM

d0d056c3600ec16171a2ece2403ed031

Photo Illustration by The Daily Beast/Getty

After   four years of Trumpism , we’ve learned that Trumpism has very few core tenets except   lower taxes for the wealthy   and that government is bad. Some people like Rand Paul have been running on “government is bad” their entire careers, but the problem with being a member of the government who wants to destroy the government is that when a problem arises that the government could theoretically fix, you can’t participate because you would be encouraging the use of government.

Yes, this Republican Party is filled with   men of   no   action . Meet the Helpless Caucus—a group of laissez-faire nihilists who want you vote so they can crush the government you’d like them to run.

This was on full display on Tuesday during a Senate Judiciary Committee hearing on gun violence, when Texas Senator and Cancun visitor and Ritz Carlton stayer Ted Cruz said, “Every time there’s a shooting, we play this ridiculous theater… Democrats propose taking away guns from law-abiding citizens…   It makes it worse .”

The GOP Is Now the Party of Thugs, Terrorists, Racists and Dopes

Ted wasn’t mad at the gunman, or even angry at the event that caused the death of 10 people, including both the store manager and a police officer. Ted wasn’t mad about the gun crisis gripping our country (there have been seven shootings in the last seven days ). Nor was Ted mad at the mental health crisis that has gripped our sick, sad nation. No, Ted was preemptively mad at Democrats, for their desire to legislate.

The irony of course is that the Boulder, Colorado, shooting happened just 10 days after a local ban on assault weapons had lapsed.   The Washington Post   points out,   “Police have yet to say whether the ordinance would have prevented him from buying or possessing the weapon within city limits.” But as with so much legislation, it may not always work, but the point of our government should be at the very least to try, shouldn’t it?

Gun violence is not the only thing that Republicans have no interest in legislating. There’s also the pandemic, which has killed almost as many people as the population of Wyoming. Former President Trump and numerous members of his party seemed at best apathetic to COVID. Trump argued that “if the economic shutdown continues,” deaths by suicide “ definitely would be in far greater numbers than the numbers that we’re talking about   for COVID-19 deaths.”

During the early months of the pandemic the White House could have use the Defense Production Act as they claimed to but they largely didn’t.   The New York Times   noted   that the Trump administration “suggested that wielding that authority would have amounted to left-wing overreach.” Yes, the Trump administration thought using the Defense Production Act was some kind of hippy dippy voodoo.

But wait, there’s more! Trump, remember, refused to enact a mask mandate. “My administration has a different approach: We have urged Americans to wear masks, and I emphasized this is a patriotic thing to do. Maybe they’re great, and maybe they’re just good. Maybe they’re not so   good .”

A national mask mandate would have been easy and cheap. And yet, legislating is kind of something the libs do since telling people to do things that might help them violates one of the tenets of Trumpism and Republicanism. Trump and the Republicans also refused to enact a national testing and tracing program, with Trump saying that testing “makes us look bad” and that he had his people “slow the testing down,   please .”

Trump galvanized the Republican Party as “the party of no.” Trump had 10 laws that he promised to pass in his first 100 days. They were part of Steve Bannon’s “promises made promises kept,” and they included the hilarious American Energy and Infrastructure Act (not passed) and the equally unintentionally hilarious Clean Up Corruption in Washington Act (also not passed). Guess which act was the only one of those 10 that passed? Give up? The one that cut taxes for people   making over a million dollars . Most of the Trump presidency was pretty light on legislation and pretty heavy on theatrics.

But the party of no started earlier than Trump with the self-proclaimed grim reaper. Since Barack Obama was elected to office, Mitch McConnell has been the king of obstruction, telling the   National Review   right before the 2010 midterms that, “ The single most important thing we want to achieve is for President Obama to be a   one-term president .”   That call to inaction created a kind of anti-government movement in the Republican Party. Mitch became the obstructionist in chief, making sure that Merrick Garland never got a Supreme Court nomination hearing and letting him languish for   293 days .

Republicans no longer control the House, the Senate, or the presidency. They are finally in the perfect position to live their truths and do nothing: no legislation, no anything but obstruction. And it seems clear that Republicans will run against Biden’s legislation in the midterms. The American Rescue Plan (giving people money they desperately need during a pandemic) is pretty popular, but who knows? Republicans have been historically extremely good at messaging, so perhaps they will once again be able to sell their do-nothingness.

It’s worth wondering why voters would support a party that wants to destroy the government when you could vote for the party that wants the government to succeed. But, again, who knows? Maybe people will embrace laissez-faire nihilism.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Tessylo    3 years ago

"After      four years of Trumpism   , we’ve learned that Trumpism has very few core tenets except      lower taxes for the wealthy       and that government is bad. Some people like Rand Paul have been running on “government is bad” their entire careers, but the problem with being a member of the government who wants to destroy the government is that when a problem arises that the government could theoretically fix, you can’t participate because you would be encouraging the use of government.

Yes, this Republican Party is filled with    men of    no    action  . Meet the Helpless Caucus—a group of laissez-faire nihilists who want you vote so they can crush the government you’d like them to run.

This was on full display on Tuesday during a Senate Judiciary Committee hearing on gun violence, when Texas Senator and Cancun visitor and Ritz Carlton stayer Ted Cruz said, “Every time there’s a shooting, we play this ridiculous theater… Democrats propose taking away guns from law-abiding citizens…    It makes it worse  .”

The GOP Is Now the Party of Thugs, Terrorists, Racists and Dopes

Ted wasn’t mad at the gunman, or even angry at the event that caused the death of 10 people, including both the store manager and a police officer. Ted wasn’t mad about the gun crisis gripping our country (there have been    seven shootings in the last seven days  ). Nor was Ted mad at the mental health crisis that has gripped our sick, sad nation. No, Ted was preemptively mad at Democrats, for their desire to legislate.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2  Ed-NavDoc    3 years ago

Sad that some are so willing to tar all with the same brush just to suit their ideas of political expediency.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @2    3 years ago

As we see, some people will automatically pooh pooh this article because it is critical of Republicans. 

I actually read the article and I ask anyone who wants to criticize this article to please point out anything in it that is inaccurate. 

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1    3 years ago

Isn't this an opinion piece? It should be when we have sweeping statement like this bit-o-shit

"It’s worth wondering why voters would support a party that wants to destroy the government when you could vote for the party that wants the government to succeed. 

Absofuckinglutely NO ONE wants to destroy the government number 1. Number 2, Dems want the GOVERNMENT to succeed. Succeed at just what? Therein lies the problem. All that "party" wants to succeed at is maintaining control at all costs. Look at the up and coming spending being projected. It has always been the Democrat way to throw money at a problem. And then tax the piss out of those involved.

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
2.1.2  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @2.1.1    3 years ago

Hmmmm.....

• Grover Norquist (hero to many on the right): " I want to shrink government until I can drown it in the bathtub."  How many republicans signed on to that pledge?

Dems working for the majority of Americans....

• Dems passed the ACA in order to help people get medical coverage..... The Pubs fought hammer and tongs against it and still haven't in 11 years produced their much promised "replacement".  The ACA is about helping everyday Americans.
  • The recent Covid bill passed in the senate..... provided $1,400 checks to middle and lower income people having difficulty making ends meet during the pandemic.  74% of Americans, including a big chunk of republicans favored the bill..... Not one republican in the house or senate voted for the popular measure.
  • Infrastructure..... Something that congressional republicans should be getting behind because a large number of Americans see this as a way of stimulating the economy with jobs.... Nope, they won't vote for it.

Pubs working for the wealthy....

• The republican 2017 Tax Cut bill resulted in 2018 , billionaires paying 23% of their income in federal, state, and local taxes while the average American paid 28%. That loss of revenue has to be picked up by whom?  Better than 85% of those tax cuts went where?

The GOP has for the last 11 years, with the exception of tax cuts for the wealthy, have been the party of NO Jim.  They couldn't give a shit about those in the six figure and lower income brackets.  Don't even try to pass the idea that the pubs are for fiscal responsibility... cause that dog surely won't hunt.  

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @2    3 years ago

The article really doesn't do that. It goes after the do-nothing Republicans like Cruz and McConnell, with a heaping dose of scorn piled on trmp

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
3  Ed-NavDoc    3 years ago

John, I did read the article and my statement speaks for itself. No matter what I point out will just be put down, denied, deflected, and ridiculed by certain posters so why bother? I have better things to do. I said my piece that is just my opinion and I am done. Have a good day.

evilone
Professor Guide
3.1  evilone  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @3    3 years ago

Hey Ed. Have you seen Republicans for Integrity? Thoughts?

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
3.1.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  evilone @3.1    3 years ago

I am not a Republican but I do agree with some of their views.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.2  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @3.1.1    3 years ago

Which ones?

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
3.1.3  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Tessylo @3.1.2    3 years ago

Please see post #3.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4  seeder  Tessylo    3 years ago

165180108_10224972565442842_7489070018733177624_o.jpg?_nc_cat=107&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=B3EpXJQMwZYAX9rTLtF&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-2.xx&tp=6&oh=f2bd99633978ab00ec88bce0651928d4&oe=6085144A