╌>

Fact Check: Is Oakland Program Excluding White Families Living in Poverty From $500 Checks?

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  texan1211  •  3 years ago  •  19 comments

By:   Tom Batchelor (MSN)

Fact Check: Is Oakland Program Excluding White Families Living in Poverty From $500 Checks?
The initiative is a privately funded program that will give families $500 per month, and with no rules on how they spend it.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

A new program of grants for low-income families, funded by private donations, is being rolled out in Oakland, California.

© Justin Sullivan/Getty Images Volunteer Christopher Lindstrom packs boxes of food for needy families at the Alameda County Community Food Bank December 18, 2008 in Oakland, California. Food banks across the country have seen a surge in demand.

Eligible individuals will receive $500 a month for at least 18 months in a guaranteed income program designed to tackle poverty in the city.

The initiative borrows ideas from similar universal basic income programs that provide a monthly payment, only this will be means-tested.

The Claim

While the program has support among groups representing low-income families, some on social media have criticized it, arguing that the program will exclude low-income white families.

except poor white families. you left that out. a single white mother living in oakland gets no help because of the color of her skin. how very "progressive".
— Veruca Salty (@VerucaSalty76) March 26, 2021

The Facts

The initiative is a privately funded program that will give low-income families of color $500 per month, and with no rules on how they spend it.

According to the Oakland Resilient Families program website, the following groups are eligible: "Black, Indigenous, and People of Color (BIPOC) families (i.e. groups with the greatest wealth disparities per the Oakland Equity Index) with low-incomes and at least 1 child under 18, regardless of documentation status."

The guidelines states that the term "family" is defined broadly to recognize that families "come in all shapes and sizes."

"Low-income" is defined as at or below 50 percent of Area Median Income, which works out to about $59,000 per year for a family of three.

Half of the funding is reserved for "very-low-income families"—those earning below 138 percent of the federal poverty level, or about $30,000 per year for a family of three.

Payments will begin being administered to families this spring and the goal is to have the entire program up and running by the summer.

Some 600 families will receive $500 per month for 18 months, unconditionally, to use however they choose. They will have the option to participate in surveys and interviews but are not required to.

However, it is not designed to function as a universal basic income.

The program states on its website: "UBI is meant to go to everyone and provide enough of a payment to cover all basic needs, whereas a guaranteed income is meant to provide an income floor but not meant to be a replacement for wages and can also be targeted to those who most need it.

"UBI would provide everyone—regardless of income—with equal cash support (often instead of existing social benefits). Oakland Resilient Families is intended for low-income BIPOC families and therefore is by definition not 'universal'."

You do realize that they are factoring the income of all white families in Oakland. The program itself is to help low income families to deny low income families because of skin color is racist this will accomplish unnecessary division ,resentment and violence amongst neighbors
— Stephen (@kropp88) March 26, 2021

Oakland Resilient Families is funded entirely by philanthropic donations and the program has already raised $6.75 million.

In the Frequently Asked Questions section of the program's website, in answer to "Who is this for?" it states: "Black, Indigenous, and People of Color (BIPOC) families ... with low-incomes and at least 1 child under 18, regardless of documentation status."

Under the headline "Where will the families be located?" the website states: "Any low-income BIPOC family in Oakland is eligible to apply to be randomly selected to receive the money..."

The targeted nature of the grants also has a historical relevance. A form of basic income is a legacy of the Black Panther Party, which was founded in Oakland in 1966.

White households in the city earn on average roughly three times as much per year as Black households, according to the Oakland Equity Index.

Jesus Gerena, CEO of Family Independence Initiative, which is partnering with the program, told the Associated Press: "Guaranteed income has been a goal of the Black Panther platform since its founding. Direct investment in the community in response to systemic injustices isn't new."

Armando Nieto, executive director of the Oakland-based Community Food & Justice Coalition, said: "It is way past time for our larger community to recognize the responsibility we have to target the least among us for the place to start a pilot project."

Non-targeted support is available for all families via a variety of channels including several nonprofit organizations that work in the city.

Newsweek contacted City of Oakland representatives for further comment.

The Ruling

True.

The program website states it is geared only to Black, Indigenous, and People of Color (BIPOC) families in Oakland.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Texan1211    3 years ago

Isn't it just lovely to see how inclusive those folks are?

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.1  Greg Jones  replied to  Texan1211 @1    3 years ago

Some 600 families will receive $500 per month for 18 months, unconditionally, to use however they choose.

The guidelines states that the term "family" is defined broadly to recognize that families "come in all shapes and sizes."

regardless of documentation status."

So booze, drugs, and smokes are OK?  Discriminating against a single white mother while providing welfare for an undocumented "family" is OK?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1    3 years ago
  Discriminating against a single white mother while providing welfare for an undocumented "family" is OK?

It's the liberal way/

That white guilt thingy is real to them, I guess!

LMAO!

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
2  Ronin2    3 years ago

Imagine if an independent group gave out a fund that was intended to only poor white US citizens- with the exact same stipulations (families ... with low-incomes and at least 1 child under 18)? The left and media would be in full melt down mode. Racism would be screamed everywhere; lawsuits would be filed; and any donors would receive death threats and have their businesses looted and fire bombed by the ever tolerant left wing Brown Shirts Antifa and BLM.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Ronin2 @2    3 years ago

Exactly.

Folks would be calling for the resignation of every one of those board members and for anyone working for that group to be harassed.

The group would be likened to the KKK.

pathetic.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
2.2  Thrawn 31  replied to  Ronin2 @2    3 years ago

I wouldn’t give a shit kinda how I don’t give a shit about this. This is basically a charity, and seeing as how I do t qualify for charitable funds from any charity, why would I get upset if some group did the same thing for white people? I won’t be seeing any of it anyways so whatever.

exexpatnowinTX
Freshman Quiet
3  exexpatnowinTX    3 years ago

Regardless of who is funding the program, the city is apparently running it and even if not, it is ILLEGAL.

Overview 

It is illegal discrimination if a person or a company intentionally treats you differently based on your race, ethnicity, or national origin. For example, a landlord violates the law if you apply to rent an apartment and are told that the landlord doesn’t rent to Black people. Likewise, it is illegal for an employer to refuse to hire a person of color because of that person’s race,  ethnicity, or national origin.

Some forms of illegal discrimination may be subtler.  For example, an employer or housing or credit provider may adopt policies that cause unjustified and disproportionate harm to people of a particular race, ethnicity, or national origin. For example, refusing to hire anyone with any sort of criminal record disproportionately hurts Black and Latinx job applicants, who are more likely than whites to have criminal records in the current criminal justice system. Many kinds of convictions, including old convictions, will have nothing to do with an applicant’s ability to do the job. A blanket policy excluding people with criminal records would amount to illegal “disparate impact” discrimination. Additionally, depending on the reasons why this particular policy was adopted, the facts could show that the policy was driven by a desire to exclude people of color with criminal records, in which case the policy would constitute illegal intentional racial discrimination as well.

Your rights

• Federal anti-discrimination laws prohibit discrimination in housing, credit, employment, and “public accommodations” like restaurants, movie theaters, parks, and trains.
  • You cannot be denied a home, a job, or service at a business that is open to the public because of your race, ethnicity, or national origin, and you cannot be charged a different price because of your race, ethnicity, or national origin.
  • The Constitution prevents the government from subjecting you to worse treatment because of your race, ethnicity, or national origin in any situation.
  • State and local laws may also provide protection against discrimination on the basis of race, ethnicity, or national origin.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3.2  sandy-2021492  replied to  exexpatnowinTX @3    3 years ago
the city is apparently running it

I don't see anything either in the article or on their website that states this is the case.  Link?

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
4  sandy-2021492    3 years ago
The initiative is a privately funded program

So now we're going to dictate how private donations are to be spent?  Awesome.  I want the Salvation Army to start housing same-sex couples.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
4.1  Thrawn 31  replied to  sandy-2021492 @4    3 years ago

Conservatives seem to be all about the government determining how private entities conduct their business all of a sudden. Unless you are a religious group, then you can do whatever the fuck you want.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
5  Tacos!    3 years ago

I’m pretty white looking, but don’t be fooled. My Ancestry DNA scan says I am 3% Mali (that’s west Africa, if you failed Geography). So, I should be eligible for some of that sweet government cheese.

Also, I tan up pretty good in the sun, so I guess that could make me a person of color.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
5.1  Thrawn 31  replied to  Tacos! @5    3 years ago

It isn’t a government effort, privately funded, as stated repeatedly in the seed.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
5.1.1  Tacos!  replied to  Thrawn 31 @5.1    3 years ago

Ok then private cheese. Either way, I get some!

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
5.1.2  Thrawn 31  replied to  Tacos! @5.1.1    3 years ago

Hehe, not if they decide you don’t qualify 👍

Tacos!
Professor Guide
5.1.3  Tacos!  replied to  Thrawn 31 @5.1.2    3 years ago

Racist! See how private charities discriminate and oppress this black man. Disgraceful!

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
5.1.4  Thrawn 31  replied to  Tacos! @5.1.3    3 years ago

Fuckin a, as a white man from an upper middle class family they have been tryin to hold me back my entire life. Bitches.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
6  Thrawn 31    3 years ago

Meh, it’s privately funded so whatever. Plenty of private groups/funds exclude people based on all kinds of things.