╌>

Manchin gives warning on Schumer's go-it-alone strategy

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  texan1211  •  3 years ago  •  22 comments

By:   Emily Brooks (MSN)

Manchin gives warning on Schumer's go-it-alone strategy
Sen. Joe Manchin gave Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer a stark warning about using a budget procedure to bypass the Senate filibuster and ram through major legislation with slim party-line votes.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Sen. Joe Manchin gave Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer a stark warning about using a budget procedure to bypass the Senate filibuster and ram through major legislation with slim party-line votes.

© Provided by Washington Examiner

"We should all be alarmed at how the budget reconciliation process is being used by both parties to stifle debate around the major issues facing our country today," the West Virginia Democrat said in a Washington Post op-ed on Wednesday night. "I simply do not believe budget reconciliation should replace regular order in the Senate."

Democrats used budget reconciliation, a process that allows the Senate to pass a bill with 51 votes instead of the usual 60-vote threshold required to avoid a filibuster, to pass the $1.9 trillion American Rescue Plan without the support of any Republicans earlier this year.

Schumer is moving to repeat the process several more times, including for President Joe Biden's "American Jobs Plan" infrastructure proposal.

SENATE PARLIAMENTARIAN CAN PASS BIDEN INFRASTRUCTURE PACKAGE ON PARTY-LINE BASIS, PARLIAMENTARIAN SAYS

Previously, conventional thought indicated that the Senate could only use the budget reconciliation method for a small, limited number of times. But Schumer's office eyed an in-the-weeds rule that could give him extra opportunities to bypass the Senate's filibuster roadblock. The Senate parliamentarian this week gave a green light to Democrats to use that rule and get more opportunities to use reconciliation.

Manchin's stated opposition to regularizing the use of budget reconciliation could set up a showdown between him and Schumer over future legislation.

In the op-ed, the centrist Democrat also dug in on his opposition to abolishing the filibuster.

"The filibuster is a critical tool to protecting that input and our democratic form of government. That is why I have said it before and will say it again to remove any shred of doubt: There is no circumstance in which I will vote to eliminate or weaken the filibuster," Manchin said. "The time has come to end these political games and to usher a new era of bipartisanship where we find common ground on the major policy debates facing our nation."

Manchin has previously expressed his openness to the idea of requiring a "talking filibuster," the Biden-endorsed idea of requiring continuous speech on the Senate floor in order to block legislation. But while he did not mention it specifically, he appeared to close the door to that kind of reform.

Another filibuster reform proposal is shifting the burden to the minority party to maintain a filibuster by requiring 41 senators to sustain it, which Manchin said he opposes.

Tags:News, Joe Manchin, Congress, Filibuster, Budgets and Deficits, Chuck Schumer, Joe Biden, Infrastructure, Democratic Party

Original Author:Emily Brooks

Original Location:Manchin gives warning on Schumer's go-it-alone strategy

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Texan1211    3 years ago

I wonder what Schumer will offer to buy Manchin off?

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2  Greg Jones    3 years ago

Manchin has dug his heels in.

zuksam
Junior Silent
3  zuksam    3 years ago

Manchin is just being smart, he can't win re-election in West Virginia if he goes along with the Leftist agenda. There are a lot of other Dems who are going to lose their seats because of their lock step with the far left.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  zuksam @3    3 years ago
There are a lot of other Dems who are going to lose their seats because of their lock step with the far left.

I certainly hope so.

I would be happy with Democrats merely losing 2 Senate seats and 8 House seats.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
3.2  Greg Jones  replied to  zuksam @3    3 years ago
There are a lot of other Dems who are going to lose their seats because of their lock step with the far left.

Unless they "wake" up. When the midterms loom larger, we can probably expect several  jumpers to leap from the sinking Dem dingy.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4  XXJefferson51    3 years ago

Democrats have no leverage on him.  He represents a red state so Dems can’t threaten to primary him or that he’ll lose support at home.  They can’t punish him either because it’s 50/50 and if he goes independent and caucuses with the GOP or goes totally independent the control of the senate passes to the GOP.  They all know this happened before 20 years ago when the roles were reversed and Jeffords did it. Manchin is the most powerful person in congress 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  XXJefferson51 @4    3 years ago

I think it would be funny if Schumer and Biden push Manchin too far and he leaves the Democratic Party and ruins their majority there.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.1.1  XXJefferson51  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1    3 years ago

They may be close now.  I seeded the article about his filibuster editorial op Ed last night. I didn’t realize until your article that he’s opposing any further reconciliation efforts as well.  It’s like he said in my article, it’s time to govern by building bi partisan consensus on issues first.  

exexpatnowinTX
Freshman Quiet
4.1.2  exexpatnowinTX  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1    3 years ago
I think it would be funny if Schumer and Biden push Manchin too far and he leaves the Democratic Party and ruins their majority there.

That might be closer than one believes.

The Mayor of the third largest city in Nevada has left the Democrat party and is now a Republican.  Per him, he left due to the Democrats 'Senseless Devotion to Cancel Culture'

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
5  Thrawn 31    3 years ago

If Manchin is going to carry McConnell’s water for him the let him join the GOP and we will go back to gridlock. Sit down and work with your party you douche, don’t sabotage the effort.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Thrawn 31 @5    3 years ago

party above all else, huh?

exexpatnowinTX
Freshman Quiet
5.2  exexpatnowinTX  replied to  Thrawn 31 @5    3 years ago
If Manchin is going to carry McConnell’s water for him the let him join the GOP and we will go back to gridlock.

Gridlock for two years (less now) is better than the bullcrap radical ideas the Democrats are pursuing.

zuksam
Junior Silent
5.3  zuksam  replied to  Thrawn 31 @5    3 years ago

There are many Democrats that only hold office because they ran on a Centrist Platform even Biden had to pretend to be a Centrist to get Elected. A candidate like OAC could only get elected in a major liberal City, she's just way to far left for most Democrats. On the net it seems like all Dems are Ultra-Woke Commie Leftists but it's not true, Dems in most of the Country are Center Left. Actually Manchin is doing many Dems a favor by putting the brakes on Biden's agenda because it will be impossible for them to appear Centrist for re-election if they support the Leftist Crap Biden is pushing. They're going to have enough problems dealing with the blowback from Biden's Disastrous Open Borders Immigration Policy. 

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
6  Greg Jones    3 years ago

Sit down and work with your party you douche, don’t sabotage the effort.

Most of the Dems destructive dreams need to be sabotaged

Manchin needs to switch parties

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
6.1  XXJefferson51  replied to  Greg Jones @6    3 years ago

He let them have the stimulus. When that whetted their appetite for so much more instead of sating it, he realized he had to make a stand now.  

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
7  Sean Treacy    3 years ago

Good for manchin for maintaining a consistent position.  He didn’t make an ass of himself like Obama,  Bide, Schumer etc who are effusive in their praise of the filibuster when republicans control the senate and then try and destroy it when Democrats do.

manchin probably should join the republicans, who at least have consistent principles.