╌>

'Squad' member Ayanna Pressley: You 'can't be anti-racist' if you don't want to cancel student debt

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  texan1211  •  3 years ago  •  48 comments

By:   Houston Keene (MSN)

'Squad' member Ayanna Pressley: You 'can't be anti-racist' if you don't want to cancel student debt
"Squad"-member Rep. Ayanna Pressley, D-Mass., claimed that a person is unable to be "anti-racist" unless they support canceling student debt.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

"Squad"-member Rep. Ayanna Pressley, D-Mass., claimed that a person is unable to be "anti-racist" unless they support cancelling student debt.

In a tweet published on Monday, Pressley - one of the members of the "Squad" alongside Reps. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, D-N.Y., Ilhan Omar, D-Minn., and Rashida Tlaib, D-Mich. - shared an article by the Washington Post that detailed the stories of people across America with student debts.

Alongside the article, the Massachusetts Democrat claimed that a person cannot stand against racism if they don't support canceling student debt.

"You can't be anti-racist if you're anti student debt cancellation," wrote Pressley.

AYANNA PRESSLEY CALLS FOR 'UNREST IN THE STREETS' OVER TRUMP-ALLIED POLITICIANS IGNORING AMERICANS' CONCERNS

The article shared by Pressley included the stories of multiple people with student loan debts, and said the 45 million Americans who took out student loans hold a cumulative debt of $1.7 trillion.

According to EducationData.org, about 54% of all student debt is owed by "White and Caucasian student borrowers." However, the website also wrote that "Black and African American college graduates owe an average of $25,000 more in student loan debt than White college graduates."

Pressley's latest eyebrow-raising comment comes as progressives have made the cancellation of student loans one of their top priorities.

Progressive lawmakers have been pushing President Biden to strike away student debt with a stroke of his pen since day one of his presidency.

Recently, many progressives have been pounding the drum for student loan debt to be canceled as Secretary of Education Miguel Cardona looks into the Biden administration's legal authority to cut the debt.

PROGRESSIVES RAMP UP PRESSURE ON BIDEN TO FORGIVE STUDENT LOAN DEBT

Last week, Omar thanked her "co-conspirators" Pressley and Sen. Elizabeth Warren, D-Mass., and Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., for their "efforts" in pushing for student loan cancellation.

Warren called the idea "a matter of racial, economic and generational justice" in a tweet while Schumer said he thought that day "would be a great day" for Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris to cancel student debt.

Rep. Ro Khanna, D-Calif., also signaled his support for the move, writing that Biden "can cancel up to $50,000 of student loan debt for the American people with the stroke of a pen."

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Texan1211    3 years ago

The Squad certainly has some dunces for members!

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
1.1  Raven Wing  replied to  Texan1211 @1    3 years ago
The Squad certainly has some dunces for members!

So does the Republican party. A little more than 'some' it appears.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Raven Wing @1.1    3 years ago

Do you honestly believe that Republicans are the topic here?

Oy!

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
1.1.3  Raven Wing  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.1    3 years ago
Do you honestly believe that Republicans are the topic here?

To many Republicans, the Republican party is the only topic they think is worthy to discuss in any and every article, no matter what the topic of the article actually is.

btw.....Do you honestly think I am the topic here? 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.4  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Raven Wing @1.1.3    3 years ago

Well, so far..............ONLY YOU has decided to talk about Republicans......for some strange reason, of course.

Can't even logically defend the idiot Democratic representative who said this ridiculous thing?

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.1.5  XXJefferson51  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.4    3 years ago

There is no defense of the stupidity that is the squad and their ideas on the issues.  They are the definition of stupidity and the subject of the article is evidence of that 

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
1.1.6  Ronin2  replied to  Raven Wing @1.1    3 years ago

Do Democrats think that debt just disappears with the stroke of a pen? Someone damn well has to pay for it. Whether it is the US tax payer; banks and load institutions cutting staff and raising rates on all other loans; the universities by cutting departments and staff; or a combination of all of the above. 

The current crop of Democrats isn't fit to lead; and has no concept of reality. 

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.1.7  Ozzwald  replied to  Ronin2 @1.1.6    3 years ago
Do Democrats think that debt just disappears with the stroke of a pen?

Did Democrats drive up the debt and the deficit over the last 4 years?  Seems convenient how Republicans forgot that they were supposed to be fiscally responsible during Trump's reign.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.8  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Ozzwald @1.1.7    3 years ago

The GOP in Congress are far from fiscal conservatives.

And so are the Democrats.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.1.9  Ozzwald  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.8    3 years ago

The GOP in Congress are far from fiscal conservatives.

And so are the Democrats.

The Democrats have never claimed to be conservatives, let alone fiscal conservatives Texan. 

However if you look at our economic history, you'll find that Democrats are better for the economy than Republicans.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.10  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Ozzwald @1.1.9    3 years ago
The Democrats have never claimed to be conservatives, let alone fiscal conservatives Texan. 

Well, then, it must be just great that I never claimed they did, huh?

Some people just can't stand to admit that their party isn't all they pretend it to be.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.1.11  Ozzwald  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.10    3 years ago
Some people just can't stand to admit that their party isn't all they pretend it to be.

Hey pot, how's it going?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.12  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Ozzwald @1.1.11    3 years ago

For God's sake, please post something relevant.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.1.13  Ozzwald  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.12    3 years ago

For God's sake, please post something relevant.

Anything relevant, you would consider off topic.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.14  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Ozzwald @1.1.13    3 years ago

I'll wait until you post something relevant before passing judgment then.

Can I expect it soon?

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2  Tacos!    3 years ago
"You can't be anti-racist if you're anti student debt cancellation,"

That’s stupid. Obviously. But apparently, she’s also the gatekeeper determining who gets “status” as being anti-racist.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Tacos! @2    3 years ago

WTF? That woman is not out in left field, she's in the next county over!

Hallux
PhD Principal
2.1.1  Hallux  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @2.1    3 years ago

I can assure you that she is not in 'figure of speech' Canada.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.2  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Hallux @2.1.1    3 years ago

COUNTY,  not country.

But thank you for your assurances.

Hallux
PhD Principal
2.1.3  Hallux  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.2    3 years ago

... aging eyes.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.4  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Hallux @2.1.3    3 years ago

or a rush to judgment?

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
3  Thrawn 31    3 years ago

Not sure what canceling student debt has to do with race. We need to do something about it based purely on the fact that it is stupid to saddle out younger generations with that kind of debt right out of the gate as it slows overall economic growth.

You can’t just add race to a topic and try to guilt people into agreeing with you.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Thrawn 31 @3    3 years ago
You can’t just add race to a topic and try to guilt people into agreeing with you.

Apparently you can if you are a Democrat.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
3.2  1stwarrior  replied to  Thrawn 31 @3    3 years ago

I "think" the racist comment is in regards to the statement that "about 54% of all student debt is owed by "White and Caucasian student borrowers." However, the website also wrote that "Black and African American college graduates owe an average of $25,000 more in student loan debt than White college graduates."

Guess she may be thinking that 46% not being unfunded is the racist part.

Ya never know.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
3.2.1  Snuffy  replied to  1stwarrior @3.2    3 years ago
I "think" the racist comment is in regards to the statement that "about 54% of all student debt is owed by "White and Caucasian student borrowers." However, the website also wrote that "Black and African American college graduates owe an average of $25,000 more in student loan debt than White college graduates."

But the article doesn't go into why that group owes more.  It's possible that White and Caucasian students have better resources (both themselves and their families) to help pay for college, it's also possible that Black and African Americans borrow more for a multitude of reasons in college. I know of a person (years back) who took out a student loan so that he could buy a car.  But without the full knowledge of why someone is taking out student loans you can only assume which I hope by now everybody knows that that leads to.  

Hallux
PhD Principal
4  Hallux    3 years ago

"By:   Houston Keene (MSN)"

In actuality this is a FOX article for whom Keene works.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Hallux @4    3 years ago

So what??

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.1.1  XXJefferson51  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1    3 years ago

Exactly!  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.2  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Hallux @4    3 years ago

Amazingly, I'm sure, if one clicks on the link, the article pops up and lo and behold, a Fox News banner is the first thing you see!

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.2.1  XXJefferson51  replied to  Texan1211 @4.2    3 years ago

How utterly shocking! jrSmiley_91_smiley_image.gif

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
5  Greg Jones    3 years ago

Why don't they make higher education free for all? jrSmiley_26_smiley_image.gif

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
5.1  Thrawn 31  replied to  Greg Jones @5    3 years ago

More than a few other countries have or made it pretty damn close. It is doable. 

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
5.1.1  Ronin2  replied to  Thrawn 31 @5.1    3 years ago

Sure is. Just as soon as we stop paying for military bases all across the planet; and maintaining a military large enough to defend all of our worthless allies.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
6  bbl-1    3 years ago

Pressley is wrong on this one.  

Much of the student debt's financial transactions are questionable.  Look into that instead.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
6.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  bbl-1 @6    3 years ago

My late son had his student loan debt sold three times to different companies without his being notified by any of them at the time.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
6.1.1  bbl-1  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @6.1    3 years ago

Like I said.  And profits were made on each sale.  The question is where did those monies end up?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7  seeder  Texan1211    3 years ago

can't beat that TDS even though Trump is your former President.

Is it possible to carry on any conversation on any topic without the TDS rearing its head again and again?

Maybe a cure will be found for those still suffering.

Maybe it will be possible to one day stop hearing folks blurting out something or other about Trump, but I suspect it will take decades.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
7.1  bbl-1  replied to  Texan1211 @7    3 years ago

Betsy DeVos.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.1.1  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  bbl-1 @7.1    3 years ago

Not the topic, but you go right ahead and pretend it is for all you're worth!

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
7.1.2  bbl-1  replied to  Texan1211 @7.1.1    3 years ago

You don't even know who or what she was do you?

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
7.1.3  XXJefferson51  replied to  bbl-1 @7.1.2    3 years ago

Please stop trying to insult the intelligence of the conservative members here...

pat wilson
Professor Participates
7.1.4  pat wilson  replied to  XXJefferson51 @7.1.3    3 years ago

No "trying" involved. It's like shooting fish in a barrel.

It does get to be boring though.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
7.1.5  Ronin2  replied to  bbl-1 @7.1    3 years ago

The only reason the left hates Betsy Devos is she was a champion of Charter schools and school choice. She wouldn't properly kowtow to the public school teachers unions. Oh, and she was heavily religions. 

Which made her a complete anathema to the left.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.1.6  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  bbl-1 @7.1.2    3 years ago

I do know, AND I know she isn't the topic. AT least that makes ONE of us who knows the topic.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.1.7  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Ronin2 @7.1.5    3 years ago

She could have been the very best choice in the world, and since Trump appointed her, that is all Democrats need to know to hate her automatically, as they have shown for the last few years.

Like DeVos is responsible for massive student debt.

Dumbasses.

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
8  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)    3 years ago

As someone that currently has nearly $60,000 of student loan debt, I would LOVE for it to be forgiven! Just sayin. However, I don't see how race has anything at all to do with the student loan crisis. More than $10,000 of that student loan debt is interest. My loans have been through the same company the entire time, but I gather it's because of the types of loans I have as well as the fact that the school I attended only goes through one lender.

Initially, my payments were more than half of my mortgage every month; they wanted me to pay 10% of my gross yearly income, monthly. It wasn't until fall of 2019 that the loan company agreed to lower my payment according to my situation [3 kids, stay at home husband, etc.] and they dropped the monthly payment to less than a third of what they initially expected me to pay. Why wouldn't they have allowed that in 2015 when I was begging them for a reduced payment? My situation didn't change that much really... actually I make more money now... by A LOT. In 2015, my husband and I were both working, but together we weren't earning what I do now. Moreover, I owe WAY less on my home [technically there is no mortgage, but we owe my stepdad the money, we now just don't have to pay interest... bonus!] and no longer have a car payment. Yet, somehow they expected me to pay more, making less, with more bills. Then COVID hit and I haven't had to make a payment in months... without additional interest, which started Feb 2020.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
9  Snuffy    3 years ago

For what it's worth,  I do feel for the people who have large student load debts. It's difficult starting out your life with that hanging over your head when all you did was really did was follow the advice of (1) you have to have a college degree to get ahead in life and (2) pick a career that you can enjoy (rather than one that actually makes money).

With that said, I am against the forgiveness of student load debt for two reasons.  

1)  It's not really forgiveness as the money still needs to be paid back. So taxpayers will pay it back rather than the individual who took it out and agreed to pay it back.  Hell of a life lesson I think.

2) When the federal government got into business of guaranteeing student loans,  colleges and universities took that as an opportunity to raise tuition rates and fees as the money was guaranteed to be paid back. If was a magic money machine for them. They had no incentive to offer a product at the lowest prices possible,  instead they had the opportunity to jack up costs at many times the inflation rates. With another federal "bail-out" why shouldn't the colleges and universities jack up costs even faster.  

IMO the need to fix this issue is real. But once again the plan coming out of the federal government is only a partial fix. They really need to find a total fix for the problem or just walk away from it because this continued action of only providing partial fixes only causes more issues than it resolves. 

charger 383
Professor Silent
10  charger 383    3 years ago

Only way I would support this is if they gave the same amount they are wiping out to everybody who paid for their college and that includes me