╌>

The police shooting death of Daunte Wright is, once again, not what the media are saying it is

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  monstermash  •  3 years ago  •  24 comments

By:   Eddie Scarry (MSN)

The police shooting death of Daunte Wright is, once again, not what the media are saying it is
It's unclear whether liberals are hopelessly naive about the job police officers do or whether they just simply hate law enforcement.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

It's unclear whether liberals are hopelessly naive about the job police officers do or whether they just simply hate law enforcement.

e151e5.gif© Provided by Washington Examiner

Either way, the result is the same — we're all less safe, and that is especially true of nonwhites.

Columbia University professor (eye roll, I know) Sarah Seo weighed in on the recent police shooting death of 20-year-old black man Daunte Wright, opining in the New York Times that "traffic stops should not be harrowing or dangerous experiences, but too often they are for people of color."

She proposes that this week's drama (days of rioting, looting, arson, and violence throughout Minnesota) could have been avoided if Wright's car had simply been flagged by a highway computer camera that sent him a ticket in the mail. If not for the police being so picky over a traffic violation, Wright would be alive today.

But this idea, that Wright ended up dead all because he had expired car tags and an air freshener illegally hanging near the windshield, is a big fat lie.

Wright was not shot because he was driving with an expired tag, a notion endlessly hyped by the always hysterical Joe Scarborough on MSNBC. He was shot because, while police were placing him under arrest for failing to show up for previous court dates, he lunged back into his vehicle, where his girlfriend was sitting, and continued to fight off the police.

Officer Kim Potter, a 26-year veteran of the police force, fired one bullet at Wright's chest despite apparently intending only to use her Taser on him. Wright, however, hit the accelerator, putting the life of his girlfriend and anyone in the vicinity at risk. He did not get very far before crashing into another vehicle. He was pronounced dead at the scene, and the medical examiner said he died of the gunshot wound.

Was the shooting justified? I don't know. Potter has been charged with second-degree manslaughter, and a jury will make that decision. The state's complaint against Potter admits that after Wright was pulled over, police ran a records check and found that he had an arrest warrant for a gross misdemeanor weapons charge. According to the New York Times, Wright had "missed a court hearing on two misdemeanor charges that he had illegally possessed a pistol and fled from Minneapolis police officers in June."

Were the police supposed to let him go with a ticket and yet another summons he would likely ignore? And in light of the weapons charges against him, a question must be put to Democrats who love their gun control laws so much. This would appear to suggest that the police have no business enforcing gun restrictions or engaging the people who break them.

Furthermore, this isn't just about Wright illegally possessing a gun. He was charged with using that gun in an attempted armed robbery. In 2019, he allegedly held up a woman for $820 she had in cash for her apartment's rent. Wright had been granted bail, but it was revoked last year because Wright was, again, found to have a firearm despite a court order, and he had not been in contact with his probation officer.

With a history of fleeing police, violating court orders, and allegedly attempting an armed robbery, would a police officer not reasonably consider Wright armed and dangerous, even if the initial contact with him was for a traffic violation?

This is a story less about over-policing minorities and more about how much crime society is willing to tolerate. We know that crime tolerance among defund-the-police liberals is at an all-time high. How about yours?

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

MonsterMash
Sophomore Quiet
1  seeder  MonsterMash    3 years ago

New rules for blue city cops.

1: Do not pull over black drivers for any traffic violation.

2: If you can't tell which race the driver is due to tinted windows or its at night you must apologize for stopping them when you see it's a black driver and let them go on their way without running their license checking for outstanding warrants.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
1.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  MonsterMash @1    3 years ago

blue city cobs.

Niblets or corn on the cob?jrSmiley_9_smiley_image.gif

MonsterMash
Sophomore Quiet
1.2.1  seeder  MonsterMash  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @1.2    3 years ago
Niblets or corn on the cob?

LOL, Opps COPS

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
1.2.2  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Paula Bartholomew @1.2    3 years ago

creamed.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2  Tacos!    3 years ago

There should be no complaints. After all, the cops didn’t know if he was armed or not, so he needed shooting.

/s

exexpatnowinTX
Freshman Quiet
3  exexpatnowinTX    3 years ago

There is a really easy way for people of all colors and both sexes to easily and healthily engage with law enforcement.

When pulled over for a traffic violation, simply hand them your license and other documentation required by the laws of your state.  IF you're wanted for a prior criminal activity, when the law enforcement officer tells you to do something, do it.  Don't question it, don't argue your innocence or legitimacy of the prior arrest on the side of the road.  If the law enforcement officer tells you that you are being arrested, simply comply with the orders given.  Period, end of story.

Fighting the merits of the situation on the side of the road is a no win situation you are putting yourself in and will invariably end badly for you.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
3.1  Snuffy  replied to  exexpatnowinTX @3    3 years ago

I read a news story the day after the shooting where they talked with both parents. They said that Daunte had not graduated high school due to learning disabilities and that he had the mind of a 17 year old because they had 'babied' him all those years. If you have never been taught to be responsible for your actions, I'm afraid you are more likely to attempt to fight the merits of the situation rather than accept the consequences of your actions. 

This horrible incident has ruined many lives. Daunte will not be able to grow up and watch his son grow, his parents will not see him again. And the police officer will deal with the consequences of her actions (which I do believe were accidental and not planned) because she's going to remember every day what she did.  But there is a lot that lead up to this incident. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.1.1  Kavika   replied to  Snuffy @3.1    3 years ago

Three days ago in Hutchinson MN. which is 60 miles west of Minneapolis, a man assaulted an employee of Menards over not wearing a mask. The guy left and Menards called the cops and they stopped the guy. The LEO was at the guy's truck window and the guy drove away with the cop hanging on the guy then hit the cop in the face with a hammer. The cop ended up in the hospital but has since been released. The guy was arrested and is still alive, with no knee on the neck, no accidental shooting resulting in death. Just put in handcuffs and taken to jail. 

I suppose that you can guess what the difference was. 

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
3.1.2  Ronin2  replied to  Kavika @3.1.1    3 years ago

You can also guess the difference is that if he had been shot there would be no media coverage, no leftist outrage, and no rioting.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
3.1.3  Snuffy  replied to  Kavika @3.1.1    3 years ago

Gee,  what is different here.  perhaps what's different is that the cop didn't make a mistake and draw his gun rather than a hammer to free his arm from the window.  Maybe the cop didn't compound his mistakes. 

I suggest you stop with the whataboutism...  You're better than that.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.1.5  Kavika   replied to  Snuffy @3.1.3    3 years ago

The perp is the one that hit the cop in the face, Snuffy. 

As for whataboutism it's a fact of life and being from MN and a minority this treatment is exactly what the minority community believes happens and from history, it seems to be true. 

You are certainly free to make suggestions but my personal experience tells a much different story.

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
3.1.6  Colour Me Free  replied to    3 years ago
The guy was arrested and will live and have his day in court.

Fortunately so will the officer in this case ...

An outcome that should be expected in every encounter, rather than the all too familiar.

Agreed, all involved in an arrest should expect to remain alive and have their day in court, or just go home ..  this female cop in MN needs to take responsibility for her actions - obviously her fear level was off the charts, 26 years is too long to remain in the field (?) she killed / murdered a man, I think the charge is appropriate .. will she be held accountable (?) remains to be seen .. did Wright die for being black .. not for me to judge, I want to believe his death was not because of the color of his skin .. why did he try to run?  so many factors involved in this case .. reminds me of Oklahoma when the female officer murdered Crutch .. I feel that murder was race related .. yet she walked! ..................

I wonder how many individuals recognize that law enforcement agencies are changing .. officers are being fired, not put on 'administrative leave' .. law enforcement agencies are no longer 'ride or die' for the bad cop [that would be the union] ..  a union that public servants [such as police] belong to that negotiates a 'contract' ... blah blah blah .. the bad need to be culled .. does that require a union to be broken?

I have been glued to the George Floyd murder trial .. If the jury does not hang .. Chauvin will be held accountable!  Chauvin deserves the max .. not that my opinion matters .. but I will be happy with 3rd degree murder .. Chauvin will live in a hell of his own making for the rest of his life!

Peace ....

P.s.... Chauvin will not live long in prison should he ever make it to gen pop

MonsterMash
Sophomore Quiet
3.1.7  seeder  MonsterMash  replied to  Kavika @3.1.1    3 years ago

A Maryland state trooper is being investigated in an officer-involved shooting that killed a 16-year-old.

Police confirmed they received two calls Tuesday about a suspicious man holding what appeared to be a gun. A uniformed trooper then confronted the male teen, who appeared to have a gun and a knife.

Police said a witness informed them that the teen adopted what appeared to be a shooting stance and pointed a gun at the trooper. A second witness told investigators that after the trooper fired a shot, wounding the teen, the person pulled out a knife and tried to get up. The trooper ordered the teen to drop the knife before firing for a second time.

No riots burning and looting of businesses. No demands the state trooper be fired and charged with murder. 

I suppose that you can guess what race the dead 16-year-old was

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
3.1.8  Ronin2  replied to  MonsterMash @3.1.7    3 years ago
I suppose that you can guess what race the dead 16-year-old was

#Whitelivesdon'tmatter

Why should there be rioting over a justifiable shooting?  The idiot chose death by cop; and got their wish granted. Of course the perp being white Democrats, the media, and the left don't give a damn anyways. However if the perp had been black... Cue the moral outrage and rioting.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.1.9  Kavika   replied to  MonsterMash @3.1.7    3 years ago
I suppose that you can guess what race the dead 16-year-old

And this has what to do with MN and my comment?

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.1.10  Kavika   replied to  Ronin2 @3.1.8    3 years ago

You forgot radical leftists and brown shirts, Ronin. 

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
3.1.11  Ronin2  replied to  Kavika @3.1.10    3 years ago

Those two groups go w/o saying.

Ever notice how the rioting always seems to take place in Democratic strong holds? Guess they know where they can get away with it.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.1.12  Kavika   replied to  Ronin2 @3.1.11    3 years ago
Those two groups go w/o saying.

Are you actually aware of what the brown shirts were? Sturmabteilung, literally "Storm Detachment", was the Nazi Party's original paramilitary wing. It played a significant role in Adolf Hitler's rise to power. 

You are calling some American citizens Nazis. Nazi's were murderous, racists lunatics that killed millions. When you refer to Americans as Nazis you're saying that we are all of the above. To say that I resent the term is an understatement, but considering the source, I'm not quite as offended since the cognitive abilities of the speaker are limited by the hate that seems to overwhelm their limited judgment. 

This is what Nazis look like in today's America, more like you than me. 

6.jpg

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
3.1.13  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Kavika @3.1.12    3 years ago
Are you actually aware of what the brown shirts were?

considering what happened to them? useful idiots?

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.1.14  XXJefferson51  replied to  Ronin2 @3.1.11    3 years ago

They certainly won’t dare pull that crap in Florida now.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
3.1.15  Ronin2  replied to  Kavika @3.1.12    3 years ago

Are you actually aware what the purpose of the Brown Shirts was? It was to intimidate, harass, cause destruction, and above all else force people to believe as they do. 

The SA was instrumental in the Nazi’s rise to power yet played a diminished role during the Second World War. The Brownshirts are infamous for their operation outside of the law and their violent intimidation of Germany’s leftists and Jewish population. However, it was the SA’s thuggish vigilantism, independence from the regular army (which caused hostility between the two), and anti-capitalist sentiments of its leader, Ernst Röhm, that ultimately caused its undoing.

Substitute conservatives for leftists and Jews. Oh, and which party in the US has anti-capitalist sentiments again? 

If you want me to stop calling BLM and Antifa Brown Shirts the Democrats, media, and left need to come out against them. Until then they are an extension of the Democratic Party that is enabling and egging them on. The same as the Brown Shirts were to the Nazis.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
4  bbl-1    3 years ago

Lets see, a 13 year old running around with a 21 year with a gun at 2:45 am.  The prognosis of this is not good.

Should Daunte's mother be charged with neglect?