╌>

What Was The Best Bargain You Purchased Recently?

Category:  Other

By:  buzz-of-the-orient  •  3 years ago  •  57 comments

It could be anything, from a roll of toilet paper up to a car or house.  Let's hear about the best deal you've been able to make.  Of course almost everything is a bargain where I am if compared with prices in Canada or the USA, so even though the poorest people here have very little income, most things, all necessities, are only a fraction of what most of you pay.  I was lucky with something.  My Phillips/Norelco rechargeable electric shaver got damaged, and it was so old that parts were no longer available for it. However, it was going to cost me about the equivalent of US$200. to buy a new one, because they were no bargain.  But amazingly, just at that time, a temporary kiosk opened up at the big department store across the road, and they were selling similar rechargeable electric shavers that resembled the Phillips one, and they were selling for less than ONE TENTH of that price - the equivalent of about US$17.  Of course I snapped it up, and now that I've been using it for a number of months, it works better than my original one.  It was just an amazing coincidence that the very product I needed became available just then, and I was really lucky that my wife who was shopping there saw the kiosk and came and got me.   

So tell us about the best bargain you were able to get recently..

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1  author  Buzz of the Orient    3 years ago

POLITICS AND RELIGION ARE OFF TOPIC, AND SO AM I.

Dulay
Professor Expert
2  Dulay    3 years ago

I got a great deal on a gently used one man pontoon boat. They retail for at least 600.00. I got it for 250.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Dulay @2    3 years ago

The one you got looks like the picture?  Can you fish from iit, or just paddle around?

Dulay
Professor Expert
2.1.1  Dulay  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.1    3 years ago

I'm actually putting a 30 lbs. thrust trolling motor on it. We have 5 small lakes in town for my fishing pleasure. I've already made camping reservations at a DNR fish and wildlife lake for our wedding anniversary. There are even days in summer when I can go play on Lake Michigan which is only 15 miles from my house. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1.2  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Dulay @2.1.1    3 years ago

I wondered if you could put a motor on it.  Although I always loved fishing, from the time I was a little kid, I never enjoyed trolling much although it was how I caught the only muskie I ever did.   

Dulay
Professor Expert
2.1.3  Dulay  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.1.2    3 years ago

I'll just use the motor to get where I want to fish. Double anchor and set out lines. 

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
4  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)    3 years ago

The absolute best deal I've ever received was a 3 year old stainless steel BBQ grill for $10 at a garage sale. It might have been used a few times if any and it originally retailed for $1459 at Lowe's. Two years after we bought it, we had to buy new parts for it, but it cost only $65 to fix it. 

This is the grill [I pulled a stock photo]:

Other deals I've gotten are as follows:

Several pairs of leaded stained glass windows at the flea market. Most I paid for a pair was $70 and that was the most recent pair. I've purchased a single one here and there too. With the amount of colors in each of them, I've looked around and found that most are selling for at least $300 EACH and all we did was remove the many layers of paint from the frames and stain the frames. Only one required repair and it cost $75 for the repair.

An antique telephone table for $40.

My Schwinn bicycle for $60:

All the parts to put my main bathroom together how I wanted:

• Claw foot tub w/faucet, riser, and shower ring $300 [it's a reproduction faucet that retails for $650 alone].
  • A high-tank, pull chain toilet for $110, replacement parts for $250; a reproduction of the same toilet retails for approx. $750.
  • Sink and faucet from a surplus website for $300.
  • Dresser turned into a vanity - FREE

All labor done by my husband and me. Total cost of bathroom gut and rebuild was under $2500.

512 512 512

I know there's been a lot more, but those are the biggest ones. jrSmiley_100_smiley_image.jpg

zuksam
Junior Silent
4.1  zuksam  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @4    3 years ago

I like the tank on the wall with the pull chain, is there a space behind it to hide a gun ?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  zuksam @4.1    3 years ago

lol

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
4.1.2  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  zuksam @4.1    3 years ago

No. Those are in our bedroom silly.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1.3  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  zuksam @4.1    3 years ago

LOL. I thought about The Godfather as well as soon as I saw that wall tank.  If you pick up on movie details like that you should try my movie quizzes.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @4    3 years ago

I like your tub and the wooden toilet box.

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
4.2.1  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.2    3 years ago

Thanks! Craigslist finds!!! 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.2.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @4.2.1    3 years ago

Good finds.

I'm too lazy to bargain hunt. I just go to Amazon find what I want and order it

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
4.2.3  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.2.2    3 years ago

I looked on Craigslist [online] and the tub [with the faucet, etc.] was really close to where the hubby and I worked at the time, so it really wasn't out of our way. The toilet, again Craigslist [online] and I paid a guy we worked with to pick it up [$10 was all I paid him and that's the $10 on top of the $100 for the toilet], because he lived really close to where the guy selling it lived / worked. So I didn't have to go anywhere for that one. Most things... I shop for online and have it shipped to the house.

The other stuff from garage sales and flea markets, the hubby and I do that stuff just to get out and away from the kids in nice weather. Not expensive to do and we usually only take $100 with us.

Ender
Professor Principal
4.3  Ender  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @4    3 years ago

Nothing against you but I grew up with those tubs. My Great Grandmother and Grandmother had them. Of course we had to take baths and they had no shower attachment.

I guess after having had to use them when young, I would never buy one.

Give me a tub with jets and lights.

Bathroom looks great though.

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
4.3.1  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Ender @4.3    3 years ago

I made sure we had a shower head too. We wanted to stick with something that went with the house, which was built in 1906... but an outhouse is no longer legal in my area. jrSmiley_86_smiley_image.gif

Jets just get filled with mold and mildew. I wouldn't want anything to do with a jetted tub.

And thanks. We're getting ready to redo the basement 3/4 bathroom. We're going for a bit more rustic cabin feel for that one with wood-look tile for shower walls and for the shower floor, river rock tile and a slightly darker wood-look tile for the main part of the bathroom floor. 

Ender
Professor Principal
4.3.2  Ender  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @4.3.1    3 years ago

Yeah I have cleaned them before. There is some cleaner stuff you run through, works pretty good.

Sounds like you got off cheaper on your bathroom than you expected.

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
4.3.3  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Ender @4.3.2    3 years ago

By a lot. I figured, doing it ourselves, we would still probably be spending nearly $5000. We got really lucky by finding that stuff on Craigslist.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.3.4  Texan1211  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @4.3.3    3 years ago

We have that wood-tile in our bathroom. We did one wall and around the tub/shower with it. Lucked out and got some close-out tile for 99 cents a square foot, bought all our faucets, etc, on Amazon for less than $150 (shower/tub faucet, two sink faucets, curved shower curtain rod, two towel racks, toilet paper holder, bathroom light fixture.)

We found two matching vanities on closeout at Home Depot for $99 each, worked perfectly side by side. Total cost with labor and materials only ran about $2500 for the bathroom!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.5  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @4    3 years ago

That bbq grill for ten bucks?  Fantastic.  Can that be called a "Fire Sale"?

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
4.5.1  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.5    3 years ago

I suppose that could be called a "fire sale." jrSmiley_86_smiley_image.gif

Yeah, the guy had $60 on it and when I stopped to look at it, he shouted, "HALF OFF!" I grabbed my husband before he made his way to the car and whispered, "$30 for this grill? I don't care if we just clean it up and turn around and resell it!" My husband started looking at it and the guy made his way over as my husband was saying, "We don't even know if it works..." The guy said, "TEN BUCKS! It's yours!" I said, "Seriously"? I whispered to my husband, "There's more than $10 in scrap metal here... even if it didn't work." 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.5.2  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @4.5.1    3 years ago

Did you ever suspect that maybe the grill was "hot"?

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
4.5.3  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.5.2    3 years ago

No. This guy [in his late 60s] has done this type of stuff every year during the city wide garage sale. He sells things for WAY cheap on the final day, during the final few hours. It's a house we go to every time there's a city wide. I got all my Christmas wrapping paper for a $1... from 3 years ago, I still have much of it left... that's how much I got for that dollar. I got a large box of books for a dollar... a few I resold for a dollar each, others I kept to help my kids through school or donated. He's just one of those guys that wants to get rid of all the clutter and from what he claims, his wife keeps buying stuff, continually cluttering. I think his neighbors bring their stuff over too; in 2019, two of his neighbors were sitting with him and were pricing their items in his driveway. Our neighborhood is quite close; we all know our neighbors and help each other when necessary. That's why I love this community. People don't know their neighbors anymore it seems, but here... we do.

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
5  Nerm_L    3 years ago

I got two doses of Moderna vaccine and didn't have to pay anything.  That's a real bargain.

zuksam
Junior Silent
6  zuksam    3 years ago

I bought 18v Hitachi stick vacuum for 35 bucks on clearance that takes the same batteries as my 18v Hitachi and Metabo cordless tools. You can take the long tube off and use it like those old dust busters. It didn't come with a battery but I already have four so I don't need another battery. It really sucks !

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.1  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  zuksam @6    3 years ago
"It really sucks !"

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
7  Greg Jones    3 years ago

I buy red potatoes by the 5 pound bag. Got a bargain on them today at Sprouts for $1.99. Kroger has been pricing them for $3.49 to $4.99

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
8  Paula Bartholomew    3 years ago

I found a triple yolk in a dozen eggs two days ago.  Does that count?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
8.1  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @8    3 years ago

I've seen double yolks, but never a triple - you're not just telling a yolk are you?

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
8.1.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @8.1    3 years ago

This is the third time since I started eating eggs and I been eating them for 64 years that I have gotten one with three yolks.

Kavika
Professor Principal
9  Kavika     3 years ago

I recently purchased a new Ferreri Portafino 2021 model. MSRP was $215,000 and since I told them it was a Mother's Day present I was able to get the price down to $214,000. Ahhh the Art of the Deal...

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
9.1  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Kavika @9    3 years ago

Wow, Kavika.  Now let's see a photo of you sitting in it. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
9.1.1  Kavika   replied to  Buzz of the Orient @9.1    3 years ago

I can't post a photo of myself (personal protection thingy) but here is a photo I took of my cousin Luther Walks the Horse in it. 

BTW, I used my stimulus check for the down payment and the rest is being paid for by Mexico. 

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
9.1.2  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Kavika @9.1.1    3 years ago

That’s amazing!  A Ferrari that can turn itself into a different Ferrari.  Can it change colors too?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
9.1.3  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Kavika @9.1.1    3 years ago

You've posted lots of photos of yourself, especially with fish that you caught holding them way in front of yourself to make them look bigger, so I don't believe you.  In fact I'll bet that what you really bought was a Ferrari dinky toy that you WAY overpaid for.

OIP.ECdIRBgG9xY3DUS11KZ6GwHaEz?w=287&h=186&c=7&o=5&pid=1.7

Kavika
Professor Principal
9.1.4  Kavika   replied to  Buzz of the Orient @9.1.3    3 years ago
You've posted lots of photos of yourself, especially with fish that you caught holding them way in front of yourself to make them look bigger, so I don't believe you. 

Since those photos were taken before I had facial surgery. I'm in the witness protection program now so posting my new look could be very dangerous for me. Why in the world do you think that I need a go-fast car like a Ferreri? I need a ride that can provide a quick getaway when needed. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
9.1.5  Kavika   replied to  Hal A. Lujah @9.1.2    3 years ago
That’s amazing!  A Ferrari that can turn itself into a different Ferrari.  Can it change colors too?

I've told you before that I'm a shapeshifter so taking the Ferreri to new looks is quite easy. 

This car used to be a Wego (that's the four-door version of the Yugo) and look at it now. 

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
9.1.6  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Kavika @9.1.1    3 years ago

I just got it. Good one.jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
9.1.7  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Kavika @9.1.4    3 years ago

LOL. Okay, I give up. 

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
10  Hal A. Lujah    3 years ago

I got this couch on Craigslist for free.  Had to remove the sliding glass door to get this beast in the house, but you can’t beat the price.  

pat wilson
Professor Participates
10.1  pat wilson  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @10    3 years ago

Looks like a throne, lol. It's probably valuable.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
10.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @10    3 years ago

If that is a hand made piece of furniture, you might want to look underneath it for a craftman's mark.  Usually, it is their initials.

MonsterMash
Sophomore Quiet
10.3  MonsterMash  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @10    3 years ago
I got this couch on Craigslist for free.  

Did it include the cockroaches?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
10.3.1  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  MonsterMash @10.3    3 years ago

jrSmiley_50_smiley_image.gif

charger 383
Professor Silent
11  charger 383    3 years ago

I got 2 new in the box ceiling fans on sale for $8 each, Lowes had a table of odd stuff they wanted to move.  They work great 

pat wilson
Professor Participates
12  pat wilson    3 years ago

Saw this on Nextdoor for $15. Perfect match to the walls in my master bath.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
12.1  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  pat wilson @12    3 years ago

Wouldn't shower mist be a problem?

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
12.1.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @12.1    3 years ago

Not if the framer knew their craft.  I used to work as a framer and I can make something more water tight than a bug's butt.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
12.1.2  pat wilson  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @12.1    3 years ago

The print is under glass. My showers don't steam up the room either.