╌>

Mask, vaccine conflicts descend into violence and harassment

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  john-russell  •  3 years ago  •  62 comments

By:   JENNIFER SINCO KELLEHER, TERRY TANG and OLGA R. RODRIGUEZ (MSN)

Mask, vaccine conflicts descend into violence and harassment
Across the country, anti-vaccine and anti-mask demonstrations are taking scary and violent turns, and educators, medical professionals and public figures have been stunned at the level at which they have been vilified for even stating their opinion. And they have been terrified over how far protesters will go in confronting leaders outside their homes and in their workplaces.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

50 to 100 unmasked vaccine opponents have gathered almost nightly outside the downtown Honolulu condominium building where Lt. Gov. Josh Green lives with his wife and two children, ages 14 and 10.

Some yell into bullhorns and shine strobe lights into apartment units, Green said. Flyers with his photo and the words "Jew" and "fraud" have been plastered around the neighborhood. Green, who is Jewish, has been tearing them down and turning them over to the state attorney general's office

PHOENIX (AP) — The Hawaii lieutenant governor watched in horror as protesters showed up outside his condo, yelled at him through bullhorns and beamed strobe lights into the building to harass him over vaccine requirements.

e151e5.gif AANzOCL.img?h=564&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f

A parent in Northern California barged into his daughter's elementary school and punched a teacher in the face over mask rules. At a school in Texas, a parent ripped a mask off a teacher's face during a "Meet the Teacher" event.

A Missouri hospital leader was approached in a parking garage this week by a man from Alabama who handed him papers accusing him of "crimes against humanity," and it was not the only in-your-face encounter over vaccines and masks. School board members, county commissioners, doctors and local leaders are regularly confronted at meetings and in public with angry taunts that compare them to the Taliban, Nazis, Marxists and the leaders of Japanese internment camps.

Across the country, anti-vaccine and anti-mask demonstrations are taking scary and violent turns, and educators, medical professionals and public figures have been stunned at the level at which they have been vilified for even stating their opinion. And they have been terrified over how far protesters will go in confronting leaders outside their homes and in their workplaces.

"The heat definitely got turned up this week," said Shannon Portillo, a county commissioner in Kansas who was berated at a meeting Wednesday in which the board mandated masks indoors for unvaccinated children. "It got much more hostile than anything I had seen."

The pandemic rage has coincided with a surge in COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations, a growing movement to require vaccines and a new round of mask requirements, most notably in schools where exhausted families had hoped the worst days of the virus were over. Now, the country is averaging nearly 1,000 coronavirus deaths a day.

Anger from parents over masks has been simmering in rural Amador County in Northern California, and it reached a peak earlier this month when for the first time a teacher was attacked. A father became irate when he saw his daughter come out of school wearing a mask but teachers in a lounge were unmasked. Vaccinated staff are allowed to take off their masks if students aren't present, said Amador County Unified School District Superintendent Torie Gibson. The father was told this and left, but returned later to speak with the principal.

A concerned male teacher went to the principal's office. An argument ensued and the father struck the teacher.

"The teacher had some lacerations and bruising on his face and a knot on the back of his head," Gibson said.

He was treated at a hospital and returned to work the following day. Still, the incident has shaken teachers and the community.

"The teachers have definitely been on edge. They are fearful because the last thing they want is to have an issue with a parent," Gibson said. "They definitely looked over their shoulder for quite a few days, but I think things are now a little bit more calm."

Meanwhile, the father is prohibited from entering the school and could face prosecution.

Since Hawaii announced a mandate earlier this month that state and county workers would have to show proof of vaccination or face weekly tests, 50 to 100 unmasked vaccine opponents have gathered almost nightly outside the downtown Honolulu condominium building where Lt. Gov. Josh Green lives with his wife and two children, ages 14 and 10.

Some yell into bullhorns and shine strobe lights into apartment units, Green said. Flyers with his photo and the words "Jew" and "fraud" have been plastered around the neighborhood. Green, who is Jewish, has been tearing them down and turning them over to the state attorney general's office.

He understands the right to protest, but not why demonstrators subject bystanders to such rage.

"They should protest me at my place of work, where I'm the lieutenant governor," Green said. "But it's different than flashing a strobe light into a 90-year-old woman's apartment or a strobe light into a family's apartment, where they have two kids under age 4."

Ironically, Green wasn't home during a recent intense weekend of protests. He was on the Big Island working on his other job as an emergency room doctor and treating mostly COVID-19 patients during a record surge in coronavirus hospitalizations in the state.

"I will personally be taking care of these individuals in the hospital as their doctor when they get sick from refusing to wear masks and refusing to be vaccinated," he said.

In Kansas, commissioners in Douglas County in the Lawrence area were confronted with an angry, mostly unmasked crowd Wednesday before they mandated indoor public masks for 2- to- 12-year-olds who are too young to be vaccinated. During four hours of public comment, opponents invoked the Holocaust, the Taliban and Japanese internment camps.

As the granddaughter of a Holocaust survivor, Portillo was outraged at the comparisons.

"It is really insulting to families all over who lost loved ones in genocides," she said.

Researchers, professors and political experts have varying opinions about how and why discourse seems to keep plunging to new lows over the pandemic, but many agree that social media is a big factor.

Barbara Rosenwein, professor emerita at Loyola University Chicago and author of "Anger: The Conflicted History of an Emotion," said social media can make minority views look more like the majority. On the many social media platforms, people validate each other's anger as being from a just and righteous place.

"Over time the possibility of feeling righteous anger has become democratized. Everybody feels almost obligated to feel it," Rosenwein said. "That locks you into a position that will allow for no compromise, which is terrible for our country."

That anger also makes it seem OK to buck authority such as teachers and government at a time of heightened culture wars on topics like education. Getting punished or even arrested might feel like "a badge of courage," she said.

"I don't think these people are running into old-age homes and telling granny she better not get vaccinated," Rosenwein said. "I think they're telling the school teachers because teachers represent an elite that's teaching their kids."

Rosenwein said there's no grand, one-size-fits-all solution to talking to a friend or family member who may be taking an anti-mask and anti-vaccine stance to extreme levels.

"You have to start where they are ... 'Let's hear your reasons and try to go from there,'" Rosenwein said.

Dr. Cadey Harrel, who practices family medicine in Tucson, Arizona, was among four health care workers who testified in favor of mask mandates earlier this month at a local school board meeting. She recently transferred her children out of that school district over the issue but still felt compelled to speak. An anti-mask group of four or five followed them out of the building after the meeting.

"They started saying things along the lines of we were paid actors, we were paid to be there, that masks don't work," Harrel said. "They were getting right in our face."

Harrel was unnerved but felt better after a few teachers thanked them for talking. And that motivated her to keep testifying at public meetings to provide a voice of science and reason amid all the outrage from mask and vaccine opponents.

"The thing is that somebody's got to speak up," she said.

___

Kelleher reported from Honolulu, Tang from Phoenix and Rodriguez from San Francisco. Associated Press writer Heather Hollingsworth contributed from Mission, Kan.

Continue ReadingShow full articles without "Continue Reading" button for {0} hours. Microsoft and partners may be compensated if you purchase something through recommended links in this article.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    3 years ago

'Murica. 

Ender
Professor Principal
2  Ender    3 years ago

I don't care what they say, the right wing is responsible for shit like this.

It just shows me they don't give a crap about the people, only scoring political points.

It also shows we have a bunch of useful idiots around.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1  XXJefferson51  replied to  Ender @2    3 years ago

They are simply trying to avoid mandates and dictates and coercion.  It’s not like they are going around trying to take away another’s right to get the vaccine or wear a mask if they want to.  The issue is that the other side actually is trying to compel coerce them into obedience and subservience.  

Ender
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Ender  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.1    3 years ago

Take your bullshit elsewhere.

I ain't buying.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1.2  XXJefferson51  replied to  Ender @2.1.1    3 years ago

The bottom line is that there are many who would rather take on the slight extra risk of death rather than live under a regime set by the other or blue America…

Ender
Professor Principal
2.1.3  Ender  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.1.2    3 years ago

Bottom line is there are a bunch or morons in this country.

Krishna
Professor Expert
2.1.4  Krishna  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.1.2    3 years ago

"Slight risk"?

When was the last time you checked the actual numbers in states like Florida? 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2.1.5  Tacos!  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.1    3 years ago
They are simply trying to avoid mandates and dictates and coercion.

And the way to address that is by punching people?

It’s not like they are going around trying to take away another’s right to get the vaccine or wear a mask if they want to.

You say that, and yet this happened:

At a school in Texas, a parent ripped a mask off a teacher's face during a "Meet the Teacher" event.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
2.1.6  Gordy327  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.1    3 years ago
They are simply trying to avoid mandates and dictates and coercion.

Because catching Covid and spreading it to others, thereby extending the pandemic is soooooo much better, right? 

It’s not like they are going around trying to take away another’s right to get the vaccine or wear a mask if they want to.

No, some just harass or physically confront those who do.

The issue is that the other side actually is trying to compel coerce them into obedience and subservience.  

The "other side" seems to want to end the pandemic and is taking appropriate steps to accomplish that. Is that a problem for you?

The bottom line is that there are many who would rather take on the slight extra risk of death rather than live under a regime set by the other or blue America…

Yes, some people are stupid. We get that.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1.7  XXJefferson51  replied to  Ender @2.1.1    3 years ago

I don’t care.  As long as one side is trying to compel or coerce the other there will be resistance and rightly so.  Live and let live.  

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
2.1.8  Thrawn 31  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.1.7    3 years ago
 Live and let live.  

Not when your choices endanger me and mine, fuck you. 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1.9  XXJefferson51  replied to  Ender @2.1.3    3 years ago

The blue state definition of morons are people bitterly clinging to liberty and freedom who just won’t do as they are told. 

Ender
Professor Principal
2.1.10  Ender  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.1.7    3 years ago

More like live and let die...

Ender
Professor Principal
2.1.11  Ender  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.1.9    3 years ago

You can just stop with your inane posts. 

Nobody believes your shit except you.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2.1.12  Tacos!  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.1.7    3 years ago
As long as one side is trying to compel or coerce the other there will be resistance and rightly so.  Live and let live.  

So, we do away with speed limits? Drunk driving laws? Prostitution laws? Laws against indecent exposure? Pollution laws? Drug laws? Abortion restrictions?

Wow! When did so much of America become so perfectly libertarian? 

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
2.1.13  Thrawn 31  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.1.2    3 years ago

And that is totally okay with me. The more people such as yourself that kill themselves the better IMO. However, here is the problem. A virus does not just restrict itself to infecting morons. Honestly people like you are the perfect hosts, because a lot of you refuse to even acknowledge its existence and go out of your way to help it spread. 

If the virus only infected people too dumb to protect against it then great! Better for all of us IMO. But it doesn't give a shit about any of that, it will infect any host it possibly can, which means when you walk around refusing to wear a mask and breathing into everyone's faces while you are infected, well you are violating everyone else's right to not die because [deleted]

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
2.1.14  Thrawn 31  replied to  Tacos! @2.1.12    3 years ago

People like him are fucking idiots. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2.1.15  Tacos!  replied to  Thrawn 31 @2.1.13    3 years ago

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQZ6MQQAFdOsiYvdgIsYs9CJTvowva1kX0jaw&usqp=CAU

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1.16  XXJefferson51  replied to  Gordy327 @2.1.6    3 years ago

You may think some are stupid.  I considered everything and made the personal free will choice to get the Trump vaccine early on.  I’m glad I did. I’ve been trying to persuade others to do so.  The last thing I will ever do though is to take steps to coerce another to do likewise that I can’t persuade.  Likewise as a vaccinated person I’m not going to try to compel others to wear a mask or submit to it again myself. In some school districts in Florida we have “Karen” parents suing the states because it’s not good enough that their kids can wear masks if they want, they want to be able to through the school board they control to coerce other kids whose parents believe otherwise to do so as well.  No live and let live here.  Just my way or the highway for these folks and we choose the highway rather than live under their rules.  These people are the Americans Gov. Noem spoke of the other day.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1.17  XXJefferson51  replied to  Ender @2.1.11    3 years ago

I’m not the only libertarian here!  

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
2.1.18  Thrawn 31  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.1.17    3 years ago

You aren't a libertarian, at all. 

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
2.1.19  Thrawn 31  replied to  Tacos! @2.1.15    3 years ago

Husker is definitely one of those. I can thank him personally for having to start wearing a mask again at the academy. Thanks husker, [deleted]

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1.20  XXJefferson51  replied to  Tacos! @2.1.12    3 years ago

All the blue city mayors and blue state governors actions since very late April 2020 when it was ok for states and communities to reopen, and now of course Biden trying to do dystopia at the federal level…

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1.21  XXJefferson51  replied to  Thrawn 31 @2.1.13    3 years ago

I’m vaccinated and there are no mask mandates where I live.  

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
2.1.22  Thrawn 31  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.1.16    3 years ago

Get this through your insanely thick fucking skull, this is NOT a personal freedom or choice issue, this is a public health issue. One person's right's end where another's begin. 

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
2.1.23  Thrawn 31  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.1.21    3 years ago

I am vaccinated and have had the virus, thanks to [deleted] like you who make this a political thing, I now have to wear a mask again at the police academy. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2.1.24  Tacos!  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.1.17    3 years ago
I’m not the only libertarian here!

So, you have no objection to free and open trade in methamphetamine or fentanyl? How about if we sell beer and cigarettes to the 5th grade?

Gordy327
Professor Expert
2.1.25  Gordy327  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.1.16    3 years ago
You may think some are stupid.

Clearly some people are stupid.

I considered everything and made the personal free will choice to get the Trump vaccine early on.

What's to consider? There's a highly contagious virus causing a GLOBAL pandemic and millions are being infected and dying. The vaccine will largely inoculate you against the virus and help end the pandemic. Go get the vaccine. Seems like quite the no-brainer to me.

The last thing I will ever do though is to take steps to coerce another to do likewise that I can’t persuade.  Likewise as a vaccinated person I’m not going to try to compel others to wear a mask or submit to it again myself.

Unfortunately, some refuse to be vaccinated. So the pandemic rages on. People continue to be infected and possibly die. As I said, some people are clearly stupid!

Just my way

Which is the best way!

or the highway for these folks and we choose the highway rather than live under their rules.  

A case in point of stupid!

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1.26  XXJefferson51  replied to  Gordy327 @2.1.6    3 years ago
[deleted]
[deleted]

Gordy327
Professor Expert
2.1.27  Gordy327  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.1.26    3 years ago

I see, when you can't address the points made, devolve into stupid and juvenile memes. 

Ender
Professor Principal
3  Ender    3 years ago
@RonFilipkowski
·
18h
After repeated outbursts from people attending, the Sarasota, FL, School Board meeting was forced to adjourn tonight while the audience was cleared out by police.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.1  XXJefferson51  replied to  Ender @3    3 years ago

The extent that dystopian elitist America will go to over ride the wishes of the people.  

Ender
Professor Principal
3.1.1  Ender  replied to  XXJefferson51 @3.1    3 years ago

Bullshit. You are a part of the problem.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
3.1.2  Tacos!  replied to  XXJefferson51 @3.1    3 years ago
the wishes of the people

What wish is that? To extend the pandemic as long as possible?

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
3.1.3  Thrawn 31  replied to  XXJefferson51 @3.1    3 years ago

Your [deleted] is in the minority. And it isn't elitist anything, its not being a fucking [deleted.] Why are you siding with a deadly virus? Do you want as many people to die as possible?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.4  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  XXJefferson51 @3.1    3 years ago

Imagine back in the days of the black plague. Someone invents a serum made of toads eyes that will prevent the plague in people who drink the serum. Everyone in the village is excited because they can live if everyone just drinks the serum !

But some of the villagers say they dont feel like they have to take the serum. 

What do you think would happen?  

Would the villagers throw these refusers into the bottom of the well or burn them at the stake? 

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
3.1.5  Jack_TX  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.4    3 years ago
Would the villagers throw these refusers into the bottom of the well or burn them at the stake?

So you're saying that vaccine mandates are medieval?  

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
3.1.6  Ronin2  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.4    3 years ago

You obviously don't understand the time period you are talking about. 

The developer of the vaccine would be accused of witchcraft or sorcery; and given the tests. Which would start with dunking until they confessed. If they didn't confess then they would attach stones to them and toss them into a river or lake to see if they would still float. If during their testing they did confess they would be burned at the stake.

That would be what would happen during that time period.

But that you for the laugh for absolutely inaccurate portrayal of history.

Ender
Professor Principal
4  Ender    3 years ago
@alexkramers
·
23h
This is an actual person who spoke at our school board meeting. Please take two minutes and listen to what we have to deal with in Florida.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Ender @4    3 years ago

Look at the morons hat

This woman stood up at a school board meeting and said that vaccines will cause spoons to stick to the skin where the vaccine was injected, because the vaccines are magnetized or some such insanity. 

As a society we tolerate this shit. And so we keep getting more of it. 

Ender
Professor Principal
4.1.1  Ender  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1    3 years ago

How does one fight against insanity and delusion...

GregTx
PhD Guide
4.1.2  GregTx  replied to  Ender @4.1.1    3 years ago

Sanitariums

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.1.3  devangelical  replied to  Ender @4.1.1    3 years ago

.... lead and gunpowder has proven to be the most efficient method in the past.

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.1.4  Krishna  replied to  GregTx @4.1.2    3 years ago

Large Biker rallies...?

(Or perhaps large campaign rallies where everyone is sitting shoulder to shoulder & showing their "freedom" by refusing to wear a mask?)

Darwin was right, the problem will eventually solve itself...those of inferior intellect will behave in a way that causes them to die off!

Gordy327
Professor Expert
4.1.5  Gordy327  replied to  Ender @4.1.1    3 years ago
How does one fight against insanity and delusion...

With logic and reasoning. 

Ender
Professor Principal
4.1.6  Ender  replied to  Gordy327 @4.1.5    3 years ago

The delusional just ignore it.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
4.1.7  Gordy327  replied to  Ender @4.1.6    3 years ago

The problem is, delusion is like willful ignorance. It's spreads like a virus itself, infecting weak or uninformed minds. It needs to be eradicated. Logic and reasoning is the vaccine. 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.1.8  XXJefferson51  replied to  Krishna @4.1.4    3 years ago

Bike rallies, church, back the blue events, Trump rallies bad, riots, looting, mass protests, presidential victory party, multi day Chicago Rock concerts, Obama’s birthday party, opening the southern border, all good.  Hypocrisy anyone?  

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
4.1.9  Thrawn 31  replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.1.8    3 years ago
back the blue events,

Fuck you. You wanna back us? Get the goddamn shot. Stop putting my brothers and sisters in danger because you are a self-righteous asshole. I get that you never had the balls to do the job yourself, but don't fuck those of us who do. 

Hypocrisy anyone?

Yeah. Mirror motherfucker. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1.10  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.1.8    3 years ago
multi day Chicago Rock concerts

The people that went to Lollapalooza had to show proof of vaccination at the entrance gate. 

Do you have to show proof of vaccination when you enter your church? 

Ender
Professor Principal
4.1.11  Ender  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1.10    3 years ago

I still think it was stupid to go to that event.

Then again, my concert days are behind me.

TOM PA
Freshman Silent
4.1.12  TOM PA  replied to  Gordy327 @4.1.5    3 years ago

"Against logic, there is no armor like ignorance."  Laurence J. Peter (U.S. educator & writer)  

Gordy327
Professor Expert
4.1.13  Gordy327  replied to  TOM PA @4.1.12    3 years ago

Well, it certainly is thick armor. Best to chip away at it with logic.

TOM PA
Freshman Silent
4.1.14  TOM PA  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1.10    3 years ago

I wonder what would happen if his church leader announced that he had planted 5 or 6 active covid carriers around the congregation.  

TOM PA
Freshman Silent
4.1.15  TOM PA  replied to  Gordy327 @4.1.13    3 years ago

Gordy327
Professor Expert
4.1.16  Gordy327  replied to  TOM PA @4.1.15    3 years ago

I always liked that one. jrSmiley_79_smiley_image.gif

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.1.17  XXJefferson51  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1.10    3 years ago

No.  I make a point of never showing it anywhere so far.  They don’t ask there anyway or require a mask anymore.  Not that it’s an issue here but they can take my word for it or not get my business now or in the future if they presume to question me or demand my papers.  

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5  seeder  JohnRussell    3 years ago
Researchers, professors and political experts have varying opinions about how and why discourse seems to keep plunging to new lows over the pandemic, but many agree that social media is a big factor.

Barbara Rosenwein, professor emerita at Loyola University Chicago and author of "Anger: The Conflicted History of an Emotion," said social media can make minority views look more like the majority. On the many social media platforms, people validate each other's anger as being from a just and righteous place.

"Over time the possibility of feeling righteous anger has become democratized. Everybody feels almost obligated to feel it," Rosenwein said. "That locks you into a position that will allow for no compromise, which is terrible for our country."

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.1  Krishna  replied to  JohnRussell @5    3 years ago

Well I suppose if there's anything to be thankful for . . . at least NT isn't a Social Media site!

(/sarc)

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
5.2  Jack_TX  replied to  JohnRussell @5    3 years ago
social media can make minority views look more like the majority. On the many social media platforms, people validate each other's anger as being from a just and righteous place.

This is an outstanding point that most people miss completely.  

It's true of more than social media, BTW.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
6  Ronin2    3 years ago

I read the article; and the protesters sound like they have taken up the tactics of BLM and Antifa. They just haven't reached the arson, looting, and rioting part yet.

Love the way the left now shit their pants over tactics they so eagerly accepted when it was their freaks doing it.

To take another refrain from the left. "Welcome to Joe Biden's America."

Krishna
Professor Expert
6.1  Krishna  replied to  Ronin2 @6    3 years ago

Love the way the left now shit their pants over tactics they so eagerly accepted when it was their freaks doing it.

What, exactly, do you love about it?