╌>

Woman shot dead by police after hurling N-word at Hurricane Ida workers and trying to 'run over a deputy'

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  john-russell  •  3 years ago  •  31 comments

By:   John Wright (Raw Story - Celebrating Years of Independent Journalism)

Woman shot dead by police after hurling N-word at Hurricane Ida workers and trying to 'run over a deputy'
A woman was shot to death by police Wednesday after hurling racial slurs at a crew working to repair damage from Hurricane Ida in Metairie, Louisiana. After city workers in Jefferson Parish flagged down police in response to the unidentified woman's racist abuse, she struck and dragged one deputy wi...

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

image.png?width=1200&height=675  

A woman was shot to death by police Wednesday after hurling racial slurs at a crew working to repair damage from Hurricane Ida in Metairie, Louisiana.

After city workers in Jefferson Parish flagged down police in response to the unidentified woman's racist abuse, she struck and dragged one deputy with her car, prompting another to shoot her 8-9 times, according to media reports.

During a news conference, Sheriff Joe Lopinto was asked whether "long lines" and oppressive heat in the region devastated by Ida, where many remain without power and water, may have been a contributing factor.

"I have no clue about her motive, or any information about her," Lopinto said, according to video from the local CBS affiliate. "I don't know at this point in time. Look, as I said yesterday and will say again, tensions have been high around here. These things are happening. Disturbances at gas stations — we're getting a bunch of them right now. Still, you know, it doesn't lead to this, where you try to run over a deputy. I don't care what the tensions are, people need to learn a little patience around here. That being said, the circumstances with this individual, I'm not sure."

According to NOLA.com, Lopinto said the woman may have been in "mental distress" — and she had previously been committed for mental health issues.

"Many across Jefferson feel desperate after Category 4 Ida knocked out power and drinking water to most of the parish on Sunday, and amid the 18-months-and-counting coronavirus pandemic," the newspaper reported. "But Lopinto said there was no excuse to lose control in the way the workers and deputies described."

The workers were repairing a water main when the unidentified woman pulled up in her BMW SUV and called them "f*cking n*ggers" and said they needed to go back to their country, according to NOLA.com, which reviewed video shot by a bystander who declined to release the footage because it had been turned over to police as evidence.

When the deputies arrived to speak with her, the woman continued hurling racial slurs and demanded that the workers be arrested.

The deputies patiently tried to reason with the woman and get her to do the right thing, but she eventually rolled up her window and accelerated, hitting and dragging a deputy who had his hand on her car. After leading police on a high-speed chase for nearly a mile before getting blocked by traffic, the woman allegedly hit the same deputy a second time after he stepped in front of her vehicle.

At that point, the other deputy opened fire.

The bystander who filmed the incident said the workers didn't deserve the abuse — and he showed NOLA.com another video of them giving their parish-provided lunches to hungry residents.

The deputy who was hit by the woman's car suffered minor injuries.

"They really tried to help the lady," the man added, referring to the deputies. "And she f-*cked them over."

Watch a report below.

VideoSmartNews

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    3 years ago

Even a Cat 4 hurricane can't put a dent in racism. 

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
1.1  Ronin2  replied to  JohnRussell @1    3 years ago

Leaving this part out?

According to NOLA.com, Lopinto said the woman may have been in "mental distress" — and she had previously been committed for mental health issues.

The way we treat those with mental illnesses in this country is sickening. Many will need help for their entire lives. Instead they get jettisoned back into society after being put on as many drugs as they can afford at the time. Little things like a hurricane that made Katrina look like a spring shower can easily put them over the edge.

I don't blame the deputies; as she didn't give them any other choice after running one of them over and dragging him; but she is dead and it seems the left are rejoicing.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.1  Tessylo  replied to  Ronin2 @1.1    3 years ago

No, anyone who bothered to read the article knows that the woman may have been in 'mental distress'.  John didn't leave out dick.  

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
1.1.2  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Ronin2 @1.1    3 years ago

she is dead and it seems the left are rejoicing.

Are we reading the same seed?  Who is rejoicing?  All you have done is reinforce how pervasive racism is by confirming that it even rears it ugly head in mental health situations.  I get that people with psychological episodes can sometimes speak in unhinged and unintelligible terms, but if racist rhetoric is woven into their rant it just shows how integrated racism is in their psyche.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.3  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @1.1.2    3 years ago

The well known anti-racist Tim Wise recounted an incident regarding his grandmother in one of his books. Anyway the elderly lady was dying and near the end began to speak in a semi confused manner. Suddenly, this woman who Wise had known all his life and assumed never had any racist inclinations began to babble all sorts of racist slurs about blacks including one of her nurses.  Wise said he was shocked and came to the conclusion that when people are in that end of life condition their long held but submerged ideas about race may spurt out. 

I dont know if I really believe that or not but when my own mother died years ago, she started to do like a "last words" thing to the gathered around family and she whispered something about "black and white" . My mind immediately went to what Wise said in his book, which I had seen.  I was horrified that my sainted mom, who hardly ever said a bad word about anyone, let alone racially, was going to say something racist with her last words. BUT, thank God, she said "black and white" "everything is not black and white, you have to remember the shades of gray in everything" . She was calling for "moderation".    She also directly asked me and my brother, who used to argue all the time, to promise her we would stop fighting. That was 17 years ago and I can honestly say my brother and I havent had an argument since. ( I have argued with some of his family about Trump). 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2  Trout Giggles    3 years ago

I'm glad the deputy will be ok.

I can see where a person with mental illness can snap in a situation like this. But the cops did the right thing. She was a danger to everyone around her

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Trout Giggles @2    3 years ago

I look at Karen videos on You Tube sometimes. There are a ton of them. More than you might think involve some sort of racial confrontation. Just imagine how many there are that are not filmed or put online. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3  Tessylo    3 years ago

WTF is wrong with these people?  A guy was assaulted by another shithead in Florida, I think, for reporting the conditions, this shithead ran at the reporter talking about media accuracy and assaulted the reporter.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1  Tessylo  replied to  Tessylo @3    3 years ago

To clarify comment 3 - the reporter was on the beach talking about the conditions due to Hurricane Ida.  

I wonder if t his guy was in 'mental distress'?  jrSmiley_80_smiley_image.gif

He was talking about accuracy before he assaulted the reporter.  

He Confronted a Reporter Live on the Air. Now There’s a Warrant for His Arrest.

Benjamin Eugene Dagley interrupted an NBC reporter covering Hurricane Ida, the police said.  By Eduardo Medina

Sept. 1, 2021

An arrest warrant was issued on Tuesday for a man who   angrily confronted   an NBC News reporter live on TV while covering Hurricane Ida in Gulfport, Miss., screaming, “Report accurately!” in his face.

The man, Benjamin Eugene Dagley, 54, of Wooster, Ohio, will be charged with two counts of simple assault, one count of disturbing the peace and one count of violating an emergency curfew, the   Gulfport Police Department   said.

Mr. Dagley, who is on probation for an incident in Ohio involving a break-in at a metal plating shop, may also be in violation of travel restrictions that are part of his probation, the police said.

He was sentenced to five years of probation in 2018 after he pleaded guilty to attempted felonious assault, inducing panic, and vandalism, said Tyler Sinclair, a spokesman for the Cuyahoga County Prosecutor’s Office in Ohio.
The authorities in Cuyahoga County issued an arrest warrant on Tuesday for Mr. Dagley, at the request of his probation officer, that accused him of leaving the state without permission, according to court records.

The Gulfport police said Mr. Dagley had left the area by Tuesday and was traveling in his white Ford F-150 pickup truck. His location was unknown as of Wednesday evening, the police said.

It was unclear why Mr. Dagley had been in Gulfport — about 1,000 miles from his home — a day after a major hurricane hit the area. Phone calls placed to a number listed as belonging to Mr. Dagley were not returned on Tuesday night.

A live report from NBC News shows that he whipped his pickup truck off the road and into the backdrop of Shaquille Brewster’s shot as the reporter described the effects of Hurricane Ida, which had made landfall on the Gulf Coast on Sunday

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4  seeder  JohnRussell    3 years ago

speaking of the R-word

www.rawstory.com   /california-school-racist-complaint/

High school football game turns ugly after team members lob slurs and monkey noises at other players: complaint

Sarah K. Burris 3-3 minutes   9/2/2021

The Valley View High School principal filed an official complaint with the California Interscholastic Federation (CIF) alleging that the Temecula Valley High School football team used racial slurs, threatened players and kicked them during tackles.

The Press-Enterprise   reported   this week that the move by the football team comes after the cheerleaders similarly " complained of racial epithets, threats, mocking monkey noises and boos " from the Temecula team on Aug. 19 and 20. The new allegations single out the threats and racial slurs from the players.

According to the complaint, the incidents happened during both the freshman and junior varsity games. They alleged that when players were tackled during the game, the Temecula team also kicked the Valley View players and called them the N-word. At least one Valley View coach confirms that a Temecula Valley player used the racist word about Black players before saying they "don't run as fast as I thought they would." The comment was reported to the referee, who ignored it because he didn't hear anything.

At another point, Temecula players allegedly threatened, "We are going to hurt you," to players before calling them the N-word. Racist names for Latino players were also used, the report said.

At the end of the game, when players were doing the post-game handshakes, Valley View said that Temecula students used the slurs again.

The Temecula school claims that they fully intend to hold anyone "accountable for the words and actions."

The report explained that the Valley View school is more than 13 percent Black and 9.5 percent white, where Temecula is nearly half white with less than 3 percent Black. It isn't the first time a complaint was lodged against Temecula Valley high.

According to PE the Moreno Valley officials alleged that the junior varsity players accused their team of being "gang bangers" while at the snack bar. School security ignored the incident.

In another incident, Temecula Valley Jr. ROTC students "were in groups running around offering cups of water that had bubbles in it to Valley View High School football players." They found the liquid odd and concerning and refused to drink it.

Read the full story at   The Press-Enterprise.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
5  Greg Jones    3 years ago

Systemic racism...or just isolated incidents?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Greg Jones @5    3 years ago

These sort of things happen all the time, every day somewhere in America.  Is that systemic? I dont know, I call it "everyday" racism. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.2  Tessylo  replied to  Greg Jones @5    3 years ago

SYSTEMIC

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5.3  Sparty On  replied to  Greg Jones @5    3 years ago

Systemic?   Nah, most Americans are not racist IME..  

Of course neither was this mentally ill gal most likely.  

It's more likely she was having mental issues, not racism issues but racist is a very popular insult these days with some.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.3.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Sparty On @5.3    3 years ago

There are tens of millions of racists in this country. You are deluding yourself if you believe otherwise. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5.3.2  Sparty On  replied to  JohnRussell @5.3.1    3 years ago

I don't see anyone here denying racism exists in the USA

However, no other country our size has the racial diversity that we have nor the level of racial equality that does exist with such a diverse mix.

That doesn't happen because most of the country is "racist."   It happens because it isn't.   You're the one deluding yourself if you think otherwise John.  

Big time.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.3.3  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Sparty On @5.3.2    3 years ago

I'm not going to say whether or not "most" of the country is racist. Not many people are going to answer the poll question "are you a racist?" with a yes. 

What polling there has been in recent years has shown a sizable percentage of Americans admitting they have some sort of bias against racial others. It is not even close to being a small figure. 

I would go so far to say there is not a town, village, hamlet, county or city in America that does not contain at least one racist. 

I'll ask you a question.  For most of this nations history the majority of the American population was racist. Pick a decade and tell us why that was not the case for that decade and when and how did it all change. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5.3.4  Sparty On  replied to  JohnRussell @5.3.3    3 years ago

I'm not going to take your bait John.   Suffice it to say i believe everyone is "racist" to some degree.   Some clearly more than others and those are the minority that are the problem.   It is human nature to be wary of that which one is not familiar but attack or harm another because of race?   Most simply are not like that.   So the rubber meets the road on if one thinks it is systemic or not.  

Perhaps it once was but not any longer IMO.   So i'm not going to try and divine it down to a magic moment or a magic decade but rather the USA has largely worked it's way out of what i would call "systemic" racism.   It's quite the opposite really when one considers things like racial quotas and affirmative action programs.   Minorities have risen to the highest levels possible in this country.    Up to and including the POTUS.  

Again, that ain't happening because most of the country is grossly racist.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.3.5  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Sparty On @5.3.4    3 years ago

America has been historically a majority racist country. Has it changed so dramatically in the past 2 or 3 decades so that is no longer the case?  Perhaps. 

Whatever the numbers are, there is still more than enough racism to justify people complaining about it. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5.3.6  Sparty On  replied to  JohnRussell @5.3.5    3 years ago

Yeah, i don't like the reverse racism that is very prevalent in the world these days but i don't whine about it every chance i get.

Complaints are like assholes ..... we all have one.

goose is back
Sophomore Guide
5.3.7  goose is back  replied to  JohnRussell @5.3.3    3 years ago
What polling there has been in recent years has shown a sizable percentage of Americans admitting they have some sort of bias against racial others.

John, can racism "ONLY" exist in the white community?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6  Tessylo    3 years ago

It seems like a lot of racists say racism no longer exists.  

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
7  Nerm_L    3 years ago

Why is this even news?  We've already been told that every white person in the United States is a racist bigot.  We've already been told that cops always shoot people.

BLM has had its moment.  But the moment is over.  What is simply is and can't be changed.  So live with it.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
7.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Nerm_L @7    3 years ago
 So live with it.

How about you live with BLM ? 

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
7.1.1  Nerm_L  replied to  JohnRussell @7.1    3 years ago
How about you live with BLM ? 

Have we ever had a choice?

Hallux
Masters Principal
7.1.2  Hallux  replied to  Nerm_L @7.1.1    3 years ago

You always have a choice, the real question is do you have the wisdom to make the correct one disinterestedly or allow partisan verbiage to make it for you.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
8  Tessylo    3 years ago

Wow, what an ignorant statement.  Not surprised though.  Not at all.  

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
9  Trout Giggles    3 years ago

Are some of our righties upset that a white woman was shot by cops? Where was their outrage when innocent people of color were shot and killed by cops?

Sparty On
Professor Principal
9.1  Sparty On  replied to  Trout Giggles @9    3 years ago

The proof is in the pudding.  

Any rioting all over the country over this?   Not yet.   How about looting, violent protesting or wanton destruction of private property?   Nope.

Hmmmmm ......

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
9.2  Sean Treacy  replied to  Trout Giggles @9    3 years ago
Are some of our righties upset that a white woman was shot by cops?

What thread are you reading? 

Where was their outrage when innocent people of color were shot and killed by cops

We are due for another of those in about a year. Let's see what happens then.  

Hallux
Masters Principal
10  Hallux    3 years ago

Hell must have scorned the poor lady into such fury.