╌>

The week that was

Category:  Op/Ed

By:  vic-eldred  •  3 years ago  •  27 comments

The week that was
"That's what we're doing now, that's the path we're on. And I think we'll get there," he said. "If there's American citizens left, we're gonna stay to get them all out."....Joe Biden (8/18/21)

It was another amazing week in these terrible times. We left Afghanistan with our tails between our legs. Suffered 13 casualties, left billions of dollars in military equipment, as well as American citizens and allies in the process. It was a terrible debacle and the ramifications are just begining to play out. We also had the sectacle of the hollow man president looking at his watch during memorial services for the fallen Marines. The president's despicable and revealing conversations with Ashraf Ghani were leaked, most likely by individuals in the intelligence agencies.

We had a major storm take numerous lives and caused significant damage from Louisiana to New York. Two big events took place in the state of Texas. First: the Supreme Court’s refusal to halt a new restrictive Texas abortion law has plunged the fight over the issue into a new phase of turmoil, with both sides of the issue trying to make sense of it's meaning, taking the country back to where it all began when the court discovered, from out of nowhere, a constitutional right to the procedure nearly 50 years ago. Second, Texas also finally got it's voting law passed. Perhaps a few Texas democrats got a look at their polling numbers and decided to go back to work?

We also learned the identity of the man who shot & killed Ashley Babbitt and discovered that he diregarded every police protocol in shooting her. Looking back on the investigation by the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Columbia’s Public Corruption and Civil Rights Section and the Civil Rights Division, with the Metropolitan Police Department’s Internal Affairs Division (IAD), which determined that there was insufficient evidence to support a criminal prosecution, we can now conclude that the investigation was another miscarriage of justice. Another national disgrace.

Three members of a prestigious FDA panel resigned over an approval of Biogen's Alzheimer drug. The Biden administration, which made a priority of accepting migrant children coming accross the southern border lost track of about one third of them. Nancy Pelosi is using the Jan 6th incident, once again, to openly spy on her Republican congressional opponents. Last but not least, Joe Manchin has finally taken a stand on the partisan spending bill backed by his party's hard left.

President Joe Biden's job approval rating has fallen underwater in the latest ABC News/Washington Post poll amid broad disapproval of his handling of the U.S. withdrawal from Afghanistan, including a large share of the blame for the conditions leading to last week's attack on US Marines.

What have we learned:

We have learned that those on the left seem to think that they have already changed America and that all of what we have been subjected to this past 8 months will become the norm. The destruction of American society and imposition of autocratic rule continues to be their goal. We heard them call decent Americans right wing extremists. We heard them try to justify the murder of Ashley Babbitt and the outrageous 1973 decision of an activist court, which ironically struck down a Texas statute banning abortion and effectively legalized the procedure across the entire United States. We even heard them try and defend a "cognitive mess" (as Sean Hannity calls him), who has no respect for the rule of law, the US military or the American people.

Since the 2020 election, those on the left have become increasingly outspoken and brazen about who they are and what they intend to do. They unleashed their agenda on this nation through their clueless puppet Joe Biden and it hasn't taken long for the consequences to be felt by every American. Even in big blue California, the left is very concerned about Governor Newsom being recalled on September 14th and a Republican replacing him.

Parents of young school children across the country have led the way for the rest of us. We take back the congress a year from now.

Let us not forget what they tried to do to this country!

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1  author  Vic Eldred    3 years ago

Historians may spend years trying to understand how Americans let it all happen. Then again, most great civilizations only last for about 250 years. I'm proud to say I lived to experience the best of it when I was young.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2  author  Vic Eldred    3 years ago

Biden's approval rating drops to 43 percent after Afghanistan fallout http:// hill.cm/joYcCVA

E-XEZ0oXsAQdXNo?format=jpg&name=small

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
2.1  Sunshine  replied to  Vic Eldred @2    3 years ago

Doesn't it feel like he has been President for 10 years?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.1  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Sunshine @2.1    3 years ago

It sure does.

Our most incompetent and our most radical president.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.2  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1.1    3 years ago

Biden earlier today:  "I respect those who believe that life begins at the moment of conception -- I don't agree but I respect that."

When in the world does he think life begins if not when, well, it begins?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3  author  Vic Eldred    3 years ago

What chaos they have created!

Fresh out of New Orleans:

New Orleans 911 operator wanted for deliberately hanging up on callers https:// trib.al/YiyXZ0b

E-VdylYXsBQnu4z?format=jpg&name=small

Is anyone really surprised anymore?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @3    3 years ago

Your story was interesting , if inconsequential , until you added that, right below a picture of a young black woman. 

Is anyone surprised that a 911 operator didnt do her job in an emergency. Probably not really, strange things happen every day. 

Is anyone surprised you cryptically suggest there was something unsurprising about this particular person ?  Definitely not. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1.1  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1    3 years ago

A 911 operator hanging up on people and you only see her race?

Do you realize what New Orleans just went through?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.2  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1.1    3 years ago

At what?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1.3  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.2    3 years ago

That someone in a critical position of responsibility would turn their back on people calling for help.

Is this the change you talked about?

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
3.1.4  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1    3 years ago

[deleted]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1.5  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @3.1.4    3 years ago

[deleted]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1.7  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  dennis smith @3.1.6    3 years ago

It is sad.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4  author  Vic Eldred    3 years ago

And they are interfering in another election in California:

"A group of election security experts on Thursday called for a rigorous audit of the upcoming recall election for California’s governor after copies of systems used to run elections across the country were released publicly.

Their   letter sent to the secretary of state’s office   urges the state to conduct a type of post-election audit that can help detect malicious attempts to interfere.

The statewide recall targeting Democratic Gov. Gavin Newsom, set for Sept. 14, is the first election since copies of Dominion Voting Systems’ election management system   were distributed last month   at an event organized by MyPillow CEO Mike Lindell, an ally of former President Donald Trump who has made unsubstantiated claims about last year’s election. Election offices across 30 states use the Dominion system, including 40 counties in California."

The security experts want California counties using Dominion’s election management system to do what’s known as a “risk-limiting audit,” which essentially uses a statistical approach to ensure that the reported results match the actual votes cast.

Wheren't we told that Dominion's system was SOLID & SECURE ????????

evilone
Professor Guide
4.1  evilone  replied to  Vic Eldred @4    3 years ago

Holy shit, Vic... do you even read what you post?

Wheren't we told that Dominion's system was SOLID & SECURE ????????

From your own damned post...

...after copies of systems used to run elections across the country were released publicly.

And who was it that released the copies of the systems used? The MAGA mental midget election clerk Tina Peters from CO that was last seen at Mike Lindell's "cyber symposium" where that code was given out to anyone that wanted it. So now the FBI are looking for her AND she lost her job in CO. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.1.1  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  evilone @4.1    3 years ago

But the left said that Dominion's sytem was SOLID & SECURE. Now at the 11th hour of a critical election that the radical left is on the verge of losing, that it deserves to lose, we hear oh wait, let's stop this election!  They changed election laws in battleground states, they got Republicans to stay home in the GA Senate election and now they are trying to buy time in the CA Governor's election.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.2  Tessylo  replied to  evilone @4.1    3 years ago

"And who was it that released the copies of the systems used? The MAGA mental midget election clerk Tina Peters from CO that was last seen at Mike Lindell's "cyber symposium" where that code was given out to anyone that wanted it. So now the FBI are looking for her AND she lost her job in CO."

The My Pillow moron is harboring a fugitive!

evilone
Professor Guide
4.1.3  evilone  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.1.1    3 years ago
But the left said that Dominion's sytem was SOLID & SECURE.

First, was that before or after the leak from alt+right sources? Second, a request for audit doesn't establish whether the system is, or isn't secure. Third, the machines don't go online during elections and only transmit data totals out after the elections which is why they are said to be secure. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.4  Tessylo  replied to  evilone @4.1.3    3 years ago

No matter how many times the truth is provided, it will be ignored.  

evilone
Professor Guide
4.1.5  evilone  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.1.1    3 years ago
...and now they are trying to buy time in the CA Governor's election.

Considering I don't live in CA, I really don't give a shit how CA politics plays out. I can't vote, no one running will get any of my money and spending anything more than casual though on the subject seems a waste of my time.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.1.6  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  evilone @4.1.5    3 years ago

I don't live there either, yet I am concerned.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5  JohnRussell    3 years ago

What we have learned from conservatives complaints about the past week:   that the far far right extremists are in control of the "conservative" message. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.1  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @5    3 years ago

I have no complaints. Joe Biden has been a gift!!!

The gift that keeps on giving.

Had enough America???

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6  Tessylo    3 years ago

We have definitely had enough of the alleged conservatives.  

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
7  author  Vic Eldred    3 years ago

I suppose the disappointing job report belongs to the next weekly update, yet they had to lie about even that:

Biden: "There's no question the Delta variant is why today's jobs report isn't stronger."

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8  author  Vic Eldred    3 years ago

"Members of Congress and their staffers who scrambled to help Americans and their Afghan allies evacuate  Afghanistan  before this week’s withdrawal deadline have revealed some of the frantic messages they received from people desperate to leave in recent days. 

Multiple outlets, including The New York Post, reported on the difficulties facing would-be evacuees who attempted to get to Kabul’s Hamid Karzai International Airport through a gauntlet of Taliban checkpoints. 

Now, the messages obtained by the Washington Examiner show how fraught the situation became in the final days before the last flight left Aug. 30. 

One Afghan-American who worked with the office of Rep. Don Bacon (R-Neb.) said the Islamic fundamentalist group’s fighters "were creating as much problem as they could." 

The man recalled being told by the State Department to go to the Interior Ministry in Kabul, where he was confronted by a Taliban guard. After the man explained the situation, the Taliban fighter responded: "Go and tell the State Department to f— themselves." 

The evacuee said he made it into the airport by making a break for it during a firefight at a checkpoint on Aug. 27, the day after an ISIS-K suicide bomber killed at least 13 US service members and at least 169 Afghans at the airport’s Abbey Gate. 

"I know it was stupid, but I took just my chance," he said. "I ran towards the soldiers. I had my passport in my hand — shouting that I’m an American citizen." The man is back in the US, along with his wife and their four children. 

The Examiner reports that lawmakers, staffers and would-be evacuees found that the Taliban did not want to let Afghan-Americans through the checkpoints, even when people brandished their dark-blue US passports. 

One Afghan-American woman sent the office of Rep. Mike Garcia (R-Calif.) a video of her sitting in a car at a checkpoint, holding her children’s passports and asking what she can do. 

"This is why you don’t rely on the Taliban to be the ones monitoring the checkpoints," Garcia told the Examiner. 

The Biden administration has repeatedly portrayed the Taliban as an equal partner in the evacuation operation. State Department officials stated that the Taliban had guaranteed safe passage to anyone who wished to leave Afghanistan, despite widespread reporting that people who attempted to cross the checkpoints were being assaulted and beaten. 

On Monday, US Central Command commander Gen. Kenneth "Frank" McKenzie — who reportedly turned down an offer from the Taliban that would have allowed the US military to secure Kabul in the final weeks before the withdrawal deadline — described the Taliban’s conduct as "very pragmatic and very businesslike" in helping to secure the facility. 

That may have been news to one American who contacted Bacon’s deputy chief of staff, Felix Ungerman, while trying to reach the airport. At one point, a Taliban militant opened fire. 

"He goes, ‘Oh my god, he’s shooting.’ And I said, ‘Please get away from there, go get to safety,’" Ungerman recalled to the Examiner. "His phone cut off while I could hear gunshots going off, and I couldn’t get in touch with him again. I tried calling his cellphone every couple of hours to see if I could get him, tried an email, sent him a text message. And it wasn’t until [Tuesday] morning that he actually texted me back and said, ‘Yeah, I’m OK, but now what do I do?’ 

"I’m like, ‘You get to somewhere safe, and you stay there until we can — our government can offer some solutions to help you.'" 

In fact, Garcia claimed, his office had the most success getting people out of Afghanistan when "we weren’t necessarily beholden or waiting on the State Department." 

"In fact, all of our successes — we ended up getting roughly 97 folks out successfully — these were all folks that we were able to do so through our own channels and folks on the ground there that were supporting mostly American citizens and SIVs [Special Immigrant Visa holders] who otherwise would have been stopped by the bureaucracy, frankly, by the State Department," he said. 

Now that the withdrawal is over, the US has declined to rule out having some kind of relationship with the Taliban. On Wednesday, Gen. Mark Milley, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, admitted it was "possible" that the US may coordinate anti-terror operations with the Taliban targeting the ISIS-K militant group. 

President Biden himself, in his various remarks about the Afghanistan withdrawal, has described ISIS-K as an "enemy" of the Taliban, suggesting a common interest between Washington and Afghanistan’s new rulers."