╌>

Florida Official Wants DeSantis to Make Ivermectin Widely Available

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  hallux  •  3 years ago  •  28 comments

By:   Yelena Dzhanova (Business Insider)

Florida Official Wants DeSantis to Make Ivermectin Widely Available
Ivermectin is a drug typically used to treat parasitic infections in livestock. US health agencies have warned against using it for COVID-19.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

612088754932030018455553?width=700  

A Florida county commissioner wrote a letter to Gov. Ron DeSantis pleading that the livestock deworming drug ivermectin become more widely available for people who are struggling with COVID-19.

In the letter, Commissioner Neil Combee called ivermectin a "wonder drug," according to NBC affiliate WFLA.

"We are hearing from many of our citizens that larger hospital chains and some pharmacies are refusing to prescribe safe and effective therapeutics like hydroxychloroquine and ivermectin," Combee's letter said. "When a citizen is facing a potentially life-threatening case of COVID-19, he or she should receive the 'right to try' potentially life-saving therapeutics."

Commissioners in Polk County, Florida, are expected to vote on whether to send the letter to the governor on Tuesday, WFLA reported.

Ivermectin is a drug typically used to treat parasitic infections in livestock like horses.

Health agencies like the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the Food and Drug Administration have repeatedly warned that the drug can cause adverse side effects in humans, like dizziness and nausea. In some cases, it can lead to overdose and death, as well as hallucinations and seizures.

Despite these warnings, several high-profile figures have publicly touted the drug as a cure for the coronavirus. Sens. Ron Johnson and Rand Paul, for example, have baselessly promoted the drug as a COVID-19 cure. And most recently, Joe Rogan said he took ivermectin after testing positive for COVID-19.

Hospitals in Oklahoma have been so backed up with ivermectin overdoses that gunshot victims are unable to receive treatment quickly.

Ivermectin can be used by humans but only through a prescription ordered by a doctor, usually to get rid of parasitic worms, according to the FDA. Sometimes, ivermectin can be used to treat lice and skin conditions like rosacea. But no health agency recommends that people infected with the coronavirus take ivermectin.

Article is LOCKED by author/seeder
[]

Hallux
PhD Principal
1  seeder  Hallux    3 years ago

Don't forget to vote for real idiots like Neil Combee America ... what do you have to lose?

Hallux
PhD Principal
1.1  seeder  Hallux  replied to  Hallux @1    3 years ago

Maybe it does work, the horse in the pic ain't wearin' no mask. /S

Hallux
PhD Principal
1.2  seeder  Hallux  replied to  Hallux @1    3 years ago

It appears the veracity of some sections of this article are in question. I am locking it until the areas in contention are resolved one way or the other. My apologies.

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
2  SteevieGee    3 years ago

So...  People all over the country are being hospitalized for taking ivermectin and he wants to legalize it but possession of marijuana can get you 30 years there.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2.1  Sean Treacy  replied to  SteevieGee @2    3 years ago

Where is this happening?

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2.1.2  Sean Treacy  replied to  Kavika @2.1.1    3 years ago

You fell for fake news.

While, as your link proves, the damage has already been done and this lie will persist in left wing circles forever, nothing of the sort is happening. From the correction subsequently added to the  Rolling Stone article that started this frenzy:

NHS Sequoyah has not treated any patients due to complications related to taking   ivermectin . This includes not treating any patients for ivermectin overdose. All patients who have visited our emergency room have received medical attention as appropriate. Our hospital has not had to turn away any patients seeking emergency care.  

Hallux
PhD Principal
2.1.3  seeder  Hallux  replied to  Sean Treacy @2.1.2    3 years ago

Blame it on me, I seeded the article. Business Insider is usually very reliable and just about everyone from left to right has seeded articles from them. Let's not fall into the trap of one false report makes the entire news organization a purveyor of fake news.

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1.4  Kavika   replied to  Sean Treacy @2.1.2    3 years ago

I didn’t fall for anything it was right in the article. If you would have read the article you would have seen it and could have challenged with you link.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2.1.5  Sean Treacy  replied to  Kavika @2.1.4    3 years ago
I didn’t fall for anything it was right in the article. 

Yes, you did. The claim that rural hospitals in Oklahoma are being overwhelmed with ivermectin overdoses is made up. You  posted it so you either fell for it, or are intentionally spreading false information. Which is it?  

If you would have read the article you would have seen it and could have challenged with you link.

It's fake. The story is  being shared  around left wing media even though the only source was an unemployed doctor and, unsurprisingly, not one media source bothered to verify it. The healthcare system he supposedly worked for had to put out a statement, which I quoted,  stating that NO  ONE had been treated for taking ivermectin. 

One malicious person  made a false claim and everyone from Rolling Stone to Rachel Maddow ran with it. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1.6  Kavika   replied to  Sean Treacy @2.1.5    3 years ago

It’s great that you believe that you’re the Great Karnac. Carry on.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
3  Hal A. Lujah    3 years ago

So some people who took a livestock dewormer did not get covid, therefore livestock dewormer prevents covid??  Wouldn’t that also mean that anything consumed by anyone who hasn’t gotten covid prevents covid?  I eat walnuts every day, so that is also a magical cure?  Or is it the steel cut oats?  Maybe it’s the frozen blueberries?  So many possibilities when you simply ignore science and allow correlation to imply causation. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @3    3 years ago

Some people would drink shoe polish if they thought it would help them stick out their tongues at science. 

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
3.2  Thrawn 31  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @3    3 years ago

Stop trying to be rational, this is the Merican people you are talking about.

devangelical
Professor Principal
4  devangelical    3 years ago

I'm in favor of supplying ivermectin serum and syringes to all anti-vaxx morons.

Ender
Professor Principal
4.1  Ender  replied to  devangelical @4    3 years ago

Considering I read it leads to infertility, I say, go for it....

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.1.1  devangelical  replied to  Ender @4.1    3 years ago

bonus!

Kavika
Professor Principal
5  Kavika     3 years ago

More proof that Florida has more than it’s share of village idiots and horses asses.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6  JohnRussell    3 years ago

The political right is in love with insanity. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
7  Sean Treacy    3 years ago

You know the Biden admin treats  refugees with this drug, right? Where is the outrage over the Biden admin forcing a “livestock dewormer” on refugees?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
7.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Sean Treacy @7    3 years ago

However, a quick Google search would reveal that the human variant of Ivermectin has been used to treat people for decades.

In 2015, it was awarded the Nobel Prize for Literature.

So much for being only a dewormer for horses.

Ivermectin is Given to Afghan Refugees, According to the CDC Website - The True Defender !

jrSmiley_91_smiley_image.gif

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
7.1.1  Sean Treacy  replied to  JohnRussell @7.1    3 years ago

No shit John. That’s my point.  Maybe you should point that out to your progressive friends calling it a livestock dewormer.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
7.2  Thrawn 31  replied to  Sean Treacy @7    3 years ago

They should stop, unless they are specifically treating for what it is meant for. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
8  Kavika     3 years ago

Perhaps reading the article would help answer the questions on the use of invecmectim for animals and humans.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
8.1  Thrawn 31  replied to  Kavika @8    3 years ago

Fuck that, I don't take my dog's heartworm meds because I am not a dog, and don't have heartworms. That is all the "reading" that needs to be done.

Kavika
Professor Principal
8.1.1  Kavika   replied to  Thrawn 31 @8.1    3 years ago

Actually my comment was meant for the person that was attempting to derail the article. The article specifically answers his BS squirrel tactics.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
9  Thrawn 31    3 years ago

Should I just shoot myself? I mean, what the fuck is going on here? I leave for 2 weeks and come back to a crisis of people taking animal meds to stave off COVID? What the fuck?

These are goddamn horse and sheep anti-parasitics. Why in the fucking hell is ANYONE using them on themselves to fend off a virus?!! This shit just blows my mind more than my Glock 22 ever could.

Hey, I have an idea, bleach is really good at killing shit, inject it into your veins. 

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
10  Paula Bartholomew    3 years ago

Hopefully these morons will take it prior to the elections.  They will too busy shitting themselves to vote.